Im clueless and confused

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MICHELLEYAP

Reaction score
Im having alot of doubt and confusion with my rabbit

I have been brought her back to home for three months things didnt seems to improve at all.. I am afraid im not doing a good job as her owner.

1. she was fine with litter box for the first few weeks, until i get her a larger litter box as she are growing bigger. She poo and wee unconsistently everywhere in the house (she did in do all her business in the litter box).
-SO,i assumed the litter box was too dirty and she dont like it and so i clean it up more often, but she didnt changed
- i caged her and hoping she will be consistent and let her out for playtime so she gets the message that she needs to take it as habbit. But she didnt, infact, she just poo and wee everywhere in the cage except the litter box (always the last choice for her to do her business after the cage are full of stinky poo and wee)
- i put clothes in the cage and thought of letting her to sleep or more comfortable for her.. but she used it to poo and wee... @.@ but taking the idea of putting clothes in the litterbox as based? i dont fancy that.
- i do tried refused to clean up the mess as soon as the cage got dirty, to let her know she will be the one who is not comfortable if she didnt poo and wee in the litter box consistently..

but at the end, im always the one who give up and clean the mess as i cant stand the mess and smell

2. She dont like people handle her at all. i left her alone and dont really force her to be pet or groom or brush... she's very afraid of me to pet her, even i tried when she's having snacks.. but for three months, got no improvement at all.. so i wonder if im doing it wrong, or i should approach her more..

3. She loves running and skiing in the house. i let her out as long as im at home.. but she never come near me or run away blindly (yes, blindly and often hit on all the chairs and tables and wall when i try to near her). she ran and ran, seems like hyperactive (even my friends were shock to see bunny is this active).. but never let us handle her, unless i have food, even that, she only will have the food when i left the food to her and left right away..

4. i know to let her accept me takes time, but, i hope at the same time im doing a good job to gain her trust and love too.. no doubt i love her, but i duno what should i do to make her comfortable. for three months, there;s no positive improvement, i am afraid im doing something terribly wrong.:dunno:dunno:dunno:dunno:dunno:dunno:nerves1:nerves1:nerves1

This link has some wonderful tips!
http://rabbit.org/faq-litter-training-2/

Some buns just take a lot of time to bond with their human, much to our displeasure. And some just plain don't like being held and aren't really big on people.

-is the bun pottying in one particular place? Try putting the litter box there
-do you put hay in or near the box so the bun has access while sitting in it? Most buns like to eat and go at the same time
-you're going to have poos everywhere as its how they mark their territory so some stray poos are just part of bun life
-you could try cleaning up the poos and putting them into the box and blotting the wees with paper towel then putting that into the box and bun might get the idea

-you might try decreasing your buns space-too much space is overwhelming and it's important they feel safe and secure. Like down to the room your buns cage is in.
-when you feed the bun, if you feed leafy greens, try holding onto them so then bun associates you with something she likes
-hang out in a room with her and ignore her, she'll get curious and want to check you out but stay strong and continue to ignore! Eventually she'll head butt you or nip and show she wants attention

This link has some wonderful tips!
http://rabbit.org/faq-litter-training-2/

Some buns just take a lot of time to bond with their human, much to our displeasure. And some just plain don't like being held and aren't really big on people.

-is the bun pottying in one particular place? Try putting the litter box there
-do you put hay in or near the box so the bun has access while sitting in it? Most buns like to eat and go at the same time
-you're going to have poos everywhere as its how they mark their territory so some stray poos are just part of bun life
-you could try cleaning up the poos and putting them into the box and blotting the wees with paper towel then putting that into the box and bun might get the idea

-you might try decreasing your buns space-too much space is overwhelming and it's important they feel safe and secure. Like down to the room your buns cage is in.
-when you feed the bun, if you feed leafy greens, try holding onto them so then bun associates you with something she likes
-hang out in a room with her and ignore her, she'll get curious and want to check you out but stay strong and continue to ignore! Eventually she'll head butt you or nip and show she wants attention

i did all these.. i have been reading alot to make things out... she was litter trained for some time.. but not after that and now.. and she also got a habbit to flip all rubbish bin and eat on rubbish... she knew it was wrong because whenever i found out she hide herself and never come out or run the hell out of her... even though i didnt punish her physically but scolded her and put her in the cage..

nope.. she's not spayed

Well sometimes spaying fixes the problem. Also they like to go on soft things so her going on the clothes you popped in there isn't a surprise. I would clean the cage when she goes in it with vinegar to try and remove her scent b/c if she can smell that that's where she's gone before it's a greater chance she'll go there again. You also might want to try putting her previous litter box back in and see if she uses it. My bun will only use one box and if I take it out he gets thoroughly peeved and will deliberately go on the floor in front of his cage.

Well sometimes spaying fixes the problem. Also they like to go on soft things so her going on the clothes you popped in there isn't a surprise. I would clean the cage when she goes in it with vinegar to try and remove her scent b/c if she can smell that that's where she's gone before it's a greater chance she'll go there again. You also might want to try putting her previous litter box back in and see if she uses it. My bun will only use one box and if I take it out he gets thoroughly peeved and will deliberately go on the floor in front of his cage.

this is very helpful.. thank you! will try it... i was wandering what to remove her scent...

Rabbits are very different pets. They are nothing like cats and dogs, so you really have to learn how rabbits communicate to better understand them.

It also sounds like your rabbit may be very skittish and not used to people. You will need to spend time with your rabbit, so your rabbit can learn that you are safe to be around. This is best done in a smaller area, such as in a small bathroom or inside a small pen that is big enough for you to comfortably sit in with her. This is so that your rabbit can't just run away and hide from you while you are trying to spend some bonding time with your rabbit. Then what you do is sit with your rabbit in this smaller area, and just basically leave your rabbit alone to play while you read, etc, while sitting on the floor with your rabbit. Don't try to pick up or even try and pet your rabbit. If your rabbit approaches you, just leave your rabbit alone and let her check you out and smell you if she wants to. If you are always trying to grab(pick up or pet) a skittish rabbit, this will just make them more afraid of you.

Eventually once your rabbit learns she can trust you, then you can gradually try giving her little pets, but this is something you will slowly need to work up to. If you keep trying to pet her when she is scared, then it will just make her nervous about getting near you.

Some rabbits are just more nervous than other rabbits, and it will take time to earn their trust.

Read these links. The help explain rabbit behavior and how to better bond with your bunny.
http://www.flashsplace.webs.com/bondingwithyourbunny.htm
http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

What is your litter box set up like and what was the old litter box like? It may just be she doesn't like the new litter box, or something about it isn't working out for your rabbit. Can you post a picture of it? Then we may be able to see if there are changes you can make.

This is the setting.. the blue is her old litter box and red is the new one.. usually I will fill it with hays.. and neither one she poo and wee.. she poo and wee around the cage except this two box...

Today I wipe everything with vinegar.. except the litter box hope it helps...

View attachment 1433302567555.jpg

Rabbits are very different pets. They are nothing like cats and dogs, so you really have to learn how rabbits communicate to better understand them.

It also sounds like your rabbit may be very skittish and not used to people. You will need to spend time with your rabbit, so your rabbit can learn that you are safe to be around. This is best done in a smaller area, such as in a small bathroom or inside a small pen that is big enough for you to comfortably sit in with her. This is so that your rabbit can't just run away and hide from you while you are trying to spend some bonding time with your rabbit. Then what you do is sit with your rabbit in this smaller area, and just basically leave your rabbit alone to play while you read, etc, while sitting on the floor with your rabbit. Don't try to pick up or even try and pet your rabbit. If your rabbit approaches you, just leave your rabbit alone and let her check you out and smell you if she wants to. If you are always trying to grab(pick up or pet) a skittish rabbit, this will just make them more afraid of you.

Eventually once your rabbit learns she can trust you, then you can gradually try giving her little pets, but this is something you will slowly need to work up to. If you keep trying to pet her when she is scared, then it will just make her nervous about getting near you.

Some rabbits are just more nervous than other rabbits, and it will take time to earn their trust.

Read these links. The help explain rabbit behavior and how to better bond with your bunny.
http://www.flashsplace.webs.com/bondingwithyourbunny.htm
http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

What is your litter box set up like and what was the old litter box like? It may just be she doesn't like the new litter box, or something about it isn't working out for your rabbit. Can you post a picture of it? Then we may be able to see if there are changes you can make.

The link is very helpful! thank you~~~ :brown-bunny

yea.. true.. she's nervous type of bunny.. whenever i let her out for fun time, she hide in the corner... at times, i will handle her annd thought of getting near to her will make her feel im trying to be good to her.. apparently now i see that's my mistake..

she do come to me at times.. and i got overjoyed and pick her up and put on my lap ended she got so agitated and ran away.. which i duno why.. now i know.. may be i can try ignore her ever since... ;)

Latest posts

Back