I'm allergic to hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AliceBunny

Reaction score
Recently I bought two large bags of Timothy hay by the brand Carefresh. Alice seems to like it okay, not as much as oxbow, but its a lot cheaper. However, when it comes time for me to get it out of the bag to fill the litter box or something I end up in a fit of sneezing and mucus that can last for an hour or more. I don't notice this problem with the oxbow timothy hay, but I just have generally bad pollen/grass allergies anyway.

Is there another type of hay that I can try out that I might be less allergic to. Preferably something that is more affordable than oxbow? I've been trying to find a local hay supplier since I live in Montana but I don't have a car to go pick up in a field and most sellers require that you buy at least a ton of hay if you want them to deliver lol And I can only seem to find alfalfa or alfalfa mix bales.

It may be a mature cut of the hay with more pollen in it, and that is why it is causing the flair of allergies. Usually a softer second cut timothy will have less pollen in it.

Any type of grass hay is fine. Orchard, meadow, timothy, bermuda, etc. A grain hay like oat is ok as long as it doesn't contain a lot of mature seed heads. If you have a local tractor or livestock supply, they may carry bales of grass hay. Just make sure if you buy bales, that it is good quality, clean, not dusty or full of weeds, and has never been wet.

If you buy a larger bag or bale of oxbow, it tends to be cheaper to buy it in bulk.

Thanks for the information! The carefresh hay is a lot stalkier and stiff so your explanation makes sense. I think I am going to make it our to Murdoch's to see if they have small bales of hay to buy and I will make sure to look for softer hay than the stuff I have now.

Just wanted to throw my $0.02 in! Make sure you ask for the hay to be HORSE QUALITY when you call inquiring about it. Cow hay is different from horse hay; cow hay tends to contain weeds etc in it, whereas horse quality hay is a little more 'pure'. I am picking up a small square bale of orchard grass today for $5.95 at my local feed store. I'm sure you could find a comparable place! :) I've heard orchard grass is less allergenic; timothy hay aggravates mine a little also but I usually take the hay outside before I give it and shake it out a little, it gets rid of the dust and also the pollen, I would assume, and it'd be out in the open so maybe it doesn't bother me as much because of that. It is at least worth a try!

I am allergic to Timothy--sneezing, itching, etc. Used to handle it with a dust mask on and would scrupulously wash hands and arms to contain breakouts. Started using Orchard Grass by mail order from Fosters and Smith and solved the problem. Still wash hands and arms or they will get itchy, but not nearly as bad. I did notice that when I used Timothy that some batches were better than others also and I always used the same brand.

Latest posts

Back