I'll never forget you, Zeus

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragonrain

Reaction score
I'm so upset to have to be writing this thread, I don't even know how well I'll be able to do it.

Some of you know that last week I found a lump on Zeus's chin. I was very worried and had bad feelings about things since I found it. I tried to do everything I could for my sweet bunny baby, I took him to the best rabbit vet in NYC that was recommended to me by the House Rabbit Society - the vet was even a member of the HRS board.

He was on antibiodics for a week to see if those would reduce the lump. But to find out exactly what the lump was, the vet wanted to sedated him to take xrays and remove the lump to send for testing. Then we would have known the best way to treat him.

Chris (my boyfriend) and I dropped him off at the vets friday morning. We went to central park for a picnic and a walk while we were waiting for the vet to call and tell us what time we could pick Zeus up. While we were walking in the park, it started raining, so we stood under a tree together to wait out the rain. That was when we got the call from the vet.

Zeus didn't survive the surgery. The lump was far more extensive then anyone could have known. It wasn't just on his chin, it was pushing up inside his mouth and was inside his throat. When the vets put him under anesthesia the lump cut off his airway. They couldn't get the tube in to help him breathe. They tried to wake him up, to give him oxygen and even tried cpr, but he just wouldn't start breathing again, so his heart stopped.

I can't stop thinking about things, replaying everything in my head over and over and crying. I don't know if I did the right things with him, if maybe I had done things diffrently he would still be here with us. The vet said there was no way really anyone could have known what was going on unless he was put under anesthesia, he was so squirmy it was hard for the vet to get a good look inside his mouth while he was awake. She said that if we had just left things the way they were, that the lump would probably just keep getting bigger until it made it difficult for him to breath and eat, and killed him. So I guess in a way, it was better for him to go this way when he was still pretty happy, then to suffer at all. I just wish I could have had more time with him.

I can't believe he's really gone. I keep looking in their cage, expecting him to run up to the bars begging for a treat. Barnaby is going nuts. He misses his buddy too. He spent the whole night friday night tearing up everything in his cage, then when everything was in pieces he wouldn't stop scratching the plastic cage bottom, trying to destroy that too. I was afraid he was going to hurt himself, so I spent most of my night sitting next to the cage trying to make him feel better, but it didn't help. He doesn't want me, he wants Zeus.

Zeus was such a big part of my life (and Barnaby and Chris's too) for the past two years. I'm really really going to miss him. But I'm never going to forget all the happy memories of him, and everything he taught me. I hope I was/am able to help others with the knowledge that I gained from taking care of Zeus. I have some cute pictures of him that I took a few days ago. I was thinking of posting them now but I don't think I can handle doing it yet. They're the last pictures I'll ever have of him Maybe some other time I'll be able to look at them and feel happy, but not right now.

Thanks for reading this. Sorry it's so long and stuff. Probably seems stupid that I cared so much for him, but I really did. He was such a huge source of happyness in my life the whole time he was around. I really miss him. I know he had a good life here with us though, and even though it was way too short, I think thats most important - that he was happy

You really have to appreciate the time you have with the ones you love, because I guess you never really know whats going to happen. Give your pets an extra cuddle, or pet, or treat today - because I would give anything to be able to give Zeus one last treat, one last pet, and one last kiss on his cute bunny nose.

I'm so sorry to hear of Zeus; sounded like such a simple thing? Buns are so "fragile" its hard to "hear" when they lose themselves to surgery.

Feeling for you in your time of need.

I'm so very sorry for your loss!! I always worried about abcesses showing up from any kind of injury.. what that what it was? And then surgery can be so 50/50 : /. Last spring I adopted a bun who ended up having many abcesses that needed surgery, so the rescue took her back and tried to help her but I don't think she made it in the end either.

Was he ever bitten or injured?

Again, I'm so sorry! It's like losing a child : /.

Do keep hold of those happy memories. Of course you will miss a rabbit who was such an important part of your life.

You couldn't have forseen the medical circumstances Zeus would be in, even the vet said they couldn't have known.

You gave your bunny boy a happy life and it showed :)

RIP Zeus :rainbow:

Jo xx

Latest posts

Back