Ideas for keeping rabbits cool?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RAL Rabbitry wrote:
You can get A/Cs for windows that don't open in a normal double hung way. I have an A/C that is a freestanding unit in the room that has two ducts that you can use in a bunch of different windows. It came with panels that can even be used with sliding glass doors.

Roger

We looked at these, and they were hundreds of dollars at The Home Depot :?.

TinysMom wrote:
My other concern is the rabbits aren't eating as much right now - but then again - I'm not either. I think I'm going to up their hay and see if they'll eat more of that...

I never eat alot in summer time because I hate eating when it's warm out. I get sick to my stomach. Usually the only times I eat is after swimming and then I eat breakfast and a tiny little dinner. I almost never eat anything warm in summer because i get sick. Just the thought makes me wanna....anyway that could be the case with the bunnies.?

I give my bunnies fresh grass 2x daily in the summer and just small amounts of hay. they also get some veggies and fruits, and then their pellets, but they may not want to eat because it's warm out. As long as they're drinking and eating hay/grassthen they should be ok.

A short update...

We bought the a/c and now that the room is cool - New Hope is like a different bunny. When I left the bedroom a bit ago - he was looking around for food to eat and he was active and alert. I haven't heard him sneeze in over an hour and a half (he sneezed many times this morning) - and Randy and I have talked about how heat can make them do that.

The rabbits in the garage are now in two rows of cages and we've figured out how to hang the extension cord from the ceiling and have a fan on either end of the rows blowing. There are 28 bunnies out there and other than Harry (aka "Stud Muffin") they are my younger and heartier ones.

Meanwhile - Art has an idea why the compressor might not be working in the central a/c unit and this week I think we'll be calling the guy who handles our brand and ask him some questions and find out how much it might cost fora service call and to fix it if the problem is what Art thinks it is. We still will probably have to wait till Art gets paid the first Friday in June to have him come out....but it might only be $200 or $400 type fix versus a whole new compressor or whole new system. Art is also going to talk to a friend at work who knows everybody in town and might know of a licensed air conditioner tech who could work on the machine...

The girls in the office (carpeted) have learned that they can go out and sit on the tiles and feel better and so now they spend most of the afternoon out there on the tiles. Snookums made it all the way to the kitchen and was laying down looking at me as if to say "So what? I made it here....its MY spot!".

I'm just hoping and praying that the air conditioner fix is what Art thinks it might be....

We've also decided that once the air conditioner gets fixed...we're going to pick up our household appliance warranty stuff again. We dropped it last year because we couldn't afford it and I kept meaning to pick it up again.....shame on me.

So life is still hot...but getting cooler and I have hope for all of the bunnies.

TinysMom wrote:
We've also decided that once the air conditioner gets fixed...we're going to pick up our household appliance warranty stuff again. We dropped it last year because we couldn't afford it and I kept meaning to pick it up again.....shame on So life is still hot...but getting cooler and I have hope for all of the bunnies.
Be careful here....the majority of those appliance warranties aren't worth the paper they're written on. The company's policies are deny, deny, deny. And they will totally lie to you before you buy the policy about covering "pre-existing" conditions. Meaning if you have an older system you will never get them to pay for anything.

Ringer got very sick on the porch one day as I was late coming home and she had been out there in the hot florida heat too long. She was sitting in a puddle of water from a big storm and was just dingy. I brought her in and put her right in front of the ac vent and she recovered quick. My son lost a rabbit to the heat because the bunny was outside. I just won't put them out any more than an hour in the heat and always put the fan on them plus the frozen bottles. I feel they need the fresh air and theywant so much to go out but I won't leave them anymore if I go out. I bring them in. Buns just can't take heat over 84 or so. They just won't make it. Especially with the humidity.

Ringer will sit right by the frozen bottles on a hot day, She hates the heat. I also do the ice cubes in the water dish thing too. I like the popsicle idea. Maybe we could make our own out of pedialyte?

I'm also going to try the tile idea. Great idea!

Good luck with the bun buns. They are such sweeties.

Latest posts

Back