ideas for door flap needed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniLopHop

Reaction score
Becky loves to dig and I'm tired of cleaning up dirty flung litter. So, I took the idea others have posted about putting sand in a covered litter box to let her dig until her heart is content. The only problem is when she faces the wrong way the sand gets flung all over her play pen. Has anyone designed a flap of some sort that would let her dig, get in and out of the box easily, yet contain the sand? I will just vacuum daily if I have to, she is so happy, but I would prefer a little less mess.

I can think of nothing. We use card board boxes for everything, but if they have a way in and out you'll get some mess. Can't think of anything to use as a flap that wouldn't either keep them out or get chewed up . Perhaps a box big enough that it would be hard for her to fling sand that far and she'd have to be a sharp shooter too.

We came home from our friend's house tonight and there is about 5 pounds of sand on the floor. LOL I think I am going to get some kind of plastic covering for the floor and just let her toss as she pleases. It makes her so very happy.

Brandy, may I ask you what the sand is for? :?

For my litter boxes I use wood stove pellets which I buy at Lowes or Rona (very cheap). I cover them with a plastic screen I buy at Walmart. It makes clean up very easy.

BTW your bunny is ADORABLE and I love her name.

Susan:)

When I adopted Noelle I was told she was an aggressive digger in her litter box, and they sold me a metal rack to put right on top of the pellets. It's kind of looks like a cooling rack. The shelter also used the NIC grids in some of the other boxes. Her hay rack is right above the box, which is how they had her set up at the shelter so she could eat/eliminate at the same time, so the first layer of the box is fallen hay, then the rack, then the litter pellets. She has not had any problems with digging, yet (knocks on wood).

Another thing you might try--we have a digger and we fill a large pan with shredded newspaper. She just loves to dig in it and sometimes all you can see are her ears sticking up through the paper or the paper moving around as she gets completely submerged.

Sorry, that was confusing. There are two litter boxes in her play pen (she has constant access). One is uncovered and has her litter for bathroom use. There is hay right next to it incase she feels like a munch. Then I used a large covered litter box with sand to give her a place to just dig. She doesn't go to the bathroom in the sand, she just digs like a crazy bun. By giving her a more appropriate place to dig she has stopped flinging used litter everywhere. I tried the grate on top, but she managed to pull it off.
Once we go through this sand I may try the shredded paper, that sounds like a much cleaner option. But for now, she is having so much fun I can't complain about the mess too much. It also has to be good exercise.

ok, after cleaning up sand for an hour, she is not getting the sand box back. I'm going to try the paper and see if that is better. At the moment Becky is in her house pouting over the loss of the sand. I guess it was just a sad lesson learned. Perhaps over the summer we can work out a visit to the patio where I can just sweep it onto the ground.

LOL, sorry i had to laugh at your last post. Poor bunny, her Mama took away her toy sand box.

Have you tried giving her an old phone book. Mind you that could be messy too.

i'd love to see more pictures of her.

Susan:)

Latest posts

Back