ID my bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaucyAlysoon

Reaction score
Adopted this almost year old male rabbit from a friend of mine (named Pumpkin), whose roommate couldn't take care of him properly after she moved him back to her parents' house, SO I decided to take on his care.

I'm planning to get him neutered at some point, but he doesn't spray and isn't at all aggressive at this point, so I'm not going to rush it. I do have a great vet set up, though. Anywho, my friend told me he was a lionhead mix, but when I got some vet supplies with him, they said Dutch on them. He's probably 5-6 lbs.

So please help me figure out what he is. Doesn't matter to me at all, but it may be nice to know for the future.

IMG_0885.jpg

IMG_0888.jpg

IMG_0889.jpg

he seems to have harlequin markings. my fiona is a harlequin

francee096.jpg

rabbits021.jpg

Same markings, but his face is quite a bit fluffier than your lady's. I knew what she told me couldn't be right... I mean come on, her roommate was keeping him on cedar.

Good thing is that he's litter trained. Thanks for the guesses so far! Hopefully more people can come to a consensus.

don't quote me on this but i believe harliquin is not just a breed, but alsoa 'color' so at least you know he has harliquin markings.

aww! he sounds so sweet! i think you should start a blog, and post a BAZILION of pics in it!!:biggrin2:

he is probably a Netherland dwarf cross. The lionheads have netherland dwarf in .He is a cutie. I wouldn/t waste my money on neutering if if isn't spaying or aggressive.them

I just worry about him getting testicular cancer. I guess I'd rather prevent it before I have to treat it. It's something I'm going to talk to my vet about when I bring him in for a checkup.

Thanks for the thoughts. So some sort of Netherland Dwarf he is!

SaucyAlysoon wrote:
I just worry about him getting testicular cancer. I guess I'd rather prevent it before I have to treat it. It's something I'm going to talk to my vet about when I bring him in for a checkup.

Thanks for the thoughts. So some sort of Netherland Dwarf he is!
Neutering is good for alot of reasons. One being getting him a friend.;)

I'd love to get him a friend at some point, but until I have the space to get him a larger cage, that won't happen. I live in an apartment right now. But it's definitely been on my mind.

harlequin markings, and i'm wanting to say a holland lop mix with a ton of ear controll. his body type, ears, the way he's sitting, it all screams holland to me.

what ever he is, he's cute!

The other owner is right, he is a Lionhead mix. I can see slight wool around the edge of the flank near the butt in one pictureand the fact his fur on his flanks are diffrent than the other fur around it I can say he is100% Lionhead mix. Beautiful boy :biggrin2:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Harlies! He's adorable!

I'd bet there's nethie in him (which I think lionheads are somewhere related) and who knows what else? Pamnock might know - I'm just guessing but he's sure cute!

Looks like a cross between a netherland and Polish. That would explain the color. It is definately a Harilquin Pattern and lookd to be Blue and Tan. Just an educated guess on my part. Fur appears to be normal fur. Too Course to be Rex fur. So the Rules out Mini Rex or Standard Rex. Ears are rather short, But too long to be netherland. That is why it appears to be a cross between Netherland and Polish.

Have fun. Looks like a nice Bunny

Jeff

PS

I just happened to notice the food in his Bowl. The fresh greens are not a good idea to feed your Rabbit. The only Thing you should ever feed your rabbit is a good 15 to 17% protein pellet food, hay and a Carrot once or twice a week. The Fresh Greens will give him the runs and once they get that it is very hard for them to recover from it. Most of the time they will die as a result of it. I hope that this was helpful to you. We Raise Mini Rex show rabbits and Have over 30 in our garage at this time. Feel Free to email me with any Questions you may have.

Jeff
Michaela's Hop Shop

gator7735 wrote:
PS

I just happened to notice the food in his Bowl. The fresh greens are not a good idea to feed your Rabbit. The only Thing you should ever feed your rabbit is a good 15 to 17% protein pellet food, hay and a Carrot once or twice a week. The Fresh Greens will give him the runs and once they get that it is very hard for them to recover from it. Most of the time they will die as a result of it. I hope that this was helpful to you. We Raise Mini Rex show rabbits and Have over 30 in our garage at this time. Feel Free to email me with any Questions you may have.

Jeff
Michaela's Hop Shop
I feed my rabbits greens, and they don't get the runs. in fact, my mini lop fred got mushy poo when he was getting too much protien from the pellets. i think it just might depend on the rabbit if greens give them the runs.

For most bunnies, they handle greens well. It's only for a selective few who get tummy upsets if their tummies don't agree with the greens/introduced too quickly. Dark leafy greens are great in a diet, as long as they are introduced slowly. No problem feeding greens,all 5 of my guysgetatleast a cupofgreensa day- never had a problem with messy poop.

Back