I would like to show my flemish but...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nevaeh

Reaction score
I rescued a flemish giant who was abandoned... and hes pretty young and I would like to be able to show him for I show my mini lops. The problem though is his ear. One ear stands straight up like normal, and the other can stand half way up... I'm not really sure if theres a way to correct it? Does this happen to some flemmies? Also are flemmies supposed to have control over their ears as in putting them forward as well as back? Or are they supposed to just stand straight up all the time?

Thanks so much !!

all rabbits have control over their ears. They all move them around to catch sounds.

A full blooded flemish its ears will stand up. If its from a shelter I doubt its full blooded

I am pretty sure this is a genetic defect in the cartilage that holds the ear up and it is well-known in Flemish Giants. Pam Nock will probably chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

In addition, any bunnies that are altered (spayed or neutered) are not allowed to be shown, except in a "pet class". I have only seen the pet class in 4-H at the county fair, although I do not attend other rabbit shows, I don't think it is common to find a "pet class" in rabbit shows other than in 4-H.

tonyshuman wrote:
I am pretty sure this is a genetic defect in the cartilage that holds the ear up and it is well-known in Flemish Giants. Pam Nock will probably chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree - a strong ear base is very important in the Flemish. A weak ear base would be faulted. Certainly won't hurt to take your rabbit to a show and get some comments though.

There really no way to correct the condition in most cases. In some cases, a long spell of warm temperatures causes the ear/s to drop (especially in younger rabbits). In those cases, the ears may go back to their erect position once the weather cools.

With erect earred rabbits, ears held below the horizontal are grounds for disqualification.

Latest posts

Back