I wonder how long we will have harmony any thoughts?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunny Mum

Reaction score
We have 5 beautiful bunnies, dwarflops,all living together in one enclosure. The Dad Mum and three oftheir 12 week old babies, all boys. (it is indoor and outdoor using a catflap so plenty of room)

Mum and Dad have both been recently desexed but have been advised not to desex babie boys till 4 months. After reading numerous postings on different websites I can not believe they all get on so beautifully grooming each other lying together snuggling.

Is it a doubtful situation to hope they will all continue to live harmoniously...

Aw, how sweet.

Boys can be neutered as soon as their testicles descend, although some vets prefer to wait longer. So it might be worth checking with your vet for what they do.

Hopefully you will get them snipped and then they can resume their harmony, however, you might find absolute chaos breaks out when puberty really kicks in.

I'm sort of wanting to advise that it might be best to separate them all (but keep mum and dad together) and then reintroduce them to each other when they are all neutered and stuff. But then we didn't do that with our two bonded dwarf lops and had no problems (which is highly unusual). Also we are not looking to 'fix' any of my current litter of babies for a while, and that would mean a situation similar to yours, although we will be splitting ours up into more manageable groups than having 8 of them (7 kits and mum) together.

Good luck with them, keep us updated :)

Oh moominmoo i hope last night wasnt anything to go on but 2 of the boys had there first altercation, well i dont now if ud call it that ,but they were sniffing each others butts and going round and round in circles then they looked like they were nipping each others backs then there was a bit of a scuffle then they went there seperate ways!!!!!

I hope this isnt the start of anything nasty:(i so loved the harmonyand hoped it would go on for ever.

I know what you mean.

I used to have 5 male guinea pigs (father, 4 sons), who lived together in perfect harmony until they reached 18 months old. Then the fur started flying, wounds and the worst an ear got ripped. :( I don't no what upset the balance but they had to be seperated.

Hopefully your boys will settle once they've been neutered.

yes i think i might be in for a rude shock

i had this romantic notion that maybe my rabbits would live and love each other for ever.

I never had ANY problems bonding our 1st and 2nd rabbits even when they were unneutered/spayed so i guess im a bit green on rabbits having tiffs with one another.:ponder:

If they are starting to niggle with each other, you might be wise to take them out and separate them until you have them neutered and then reintroduce them when their hormones have died down.

I would be horrible if a little niggle turned into an almighty scrap and one of the buns was killed, or badly injured.

Bonding male and female bunnies is the easiest to do, then female to female, then male to male, so you might be in for a bit of bother, but keep persevering because it can be done.

Latest posts

Back