I wish that I was single again!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TinysMom wrote:
Also, I know that you say you can't work (sorry about that) - does that mean you couldn't work as one of those nurses who goes to patient's homes and takes their blood pressure and stuff and charts it once a week? I forget what that is called.
Are you thinking of a Visiting Nurse?

-Ellie

:hug:Thanks for so many suggestions everyone:wave:I thought of something funny yesterday when I was at the laundromat with the blankets the cat peed on and all my rabbit towels. First of all I would love to hang my clothes outside and that would be easy to do,however, my rabbit towels look like swiss cheese and the neighbor would think we REALLY are destitute if I hung those rags in the yard. I was thinking that I could buy a bunch of bath towels, wash cloths and hand towels and give them to the rabbits. Then I would start a business....it would be trendyshabby chic towel sets (Like the clothes out now all ripped and without hems) and my rabbit s could do the work for me. :D

Hehe! Cute! Ughh. I hate that style. I go to buy new jeans, and they look like my old jeans! I could wear my tor up old jeans and look like i've paid $70 for some style.. so silly ;).

I have an Ill/ Nursing License and when I got the papers to apply for a Wi. liscense they asked specifically about any health conditions that could affect your ability to work. Since I have a health condition that affects my ability to sustain activity I felt that if I was honest that I couldn't get the liscense anyway. Nursing pays well but I'd much prefer to do something else.

Have you checked into working for insurance companies, vet office, or any type of job that you could use the knowlege you have from nursing but not the back breaking labor. I injured myself at work and have to find something else to do as well so I have been looking for something that I can do without having to go back to school. My point is that maybe you can find something that makes you as happy as nursing used to. It takes a special caring person to do that type of job. Have you checked into Dr offices part time. I know you mentioned that you will be petsitting over the summer, you may want to post index cards at the shelter where you work as well as local vets to drum up business. I used to work with someone that did that as a side business and it made so much money she quit working at the hospital. She loved it. I know when we have had family emergencies we have hired people to come to our house to care for our pets and it was so much better than a kennel.

On the other hand we looked thru the RO reference section on hay and found links to some farmers where we could get grass hay. I have started buying grass hay from a farmer and mixing it with the oxbow to save on costs. Interestingly enough they prefer the grasshay. Check the classifieds in local papers as well. I was totally against plain grass hay and used to have oxbow shipped. I shop around for less expensive veggies sometimes aldi(not sure if you guys have those), small local stores and Meijer have good deals. I buy horse pellets at a local feed store for $6/50lbs.

As far as the dogs/cats petco has cheaper vaccinations on Sundays. Our local animal control does the same thing -cuts down on vet bills for the regular stuff.

good luck, hope this was helpful not overwhelming. I admit a bit unorganized as my 5 yr old won't stop asking me questions as I type. :)

((HUGS)) Don't let him get you down. He's just worried about financial problems. I know how both sides feel. Due to financial reasons I had to sell and find homes for half my sheltie breeding stock. It was so hard because even though I was a breeder they were are pets, they stayed in doors with us and never slept outside of the house. I would sit down with him and explain to him how you feel and hear him out to. I hope things get better ((HUGS))!!

Baci.. I was a psychiatric nurse for many years. I worked in a locked impatient hospitalunit with chronically severely mentally ill people. I worked very hard at my job but it wasn't until after I had to quit that I realized how stressful it was. I felt that I really had the ability to help people but that it was extremely draining for me.I really want to stick with anything to do with animals. mainly because it makes me feel good. I was a pet-sitter in Chicago for a few years and I absolutely loved it. I didn't take care of large dogs but only smaller pets so it wasn't so physicallydemanding. At that time I was getting disability so I had some income besides the pets. Its best for me to do something where I have control of my own schedule...Thanks for theideas about the hay..if i try i should be able to find some and mix it with oxbow..thats a good idea. The things thats I've talked about on this thread are not new problems ..I just never talked about them on RO. I am basically a happy person but sometimes my husband knows exactly the wrong thing to say to me and that was yesterday. I am just amazed that so many people responded to this. I love RO!..bunny lovers are kind and I value that trait over all others.

Angieluv - It's sad but it was what was best for the dogs. They are in good loving pet homes now and are being spoiled rotten even more than I spoiled them. Sometimes we just have to do things we don't want to do, but I know someday I will start over. :) ((HUGS)) to all that have had to overcome problems in their life. Every day I say to myself that things can only get better. I may not have all that I started out with and I have hit rock bottom compared to where I was three years ago. I know thought that with my kids, my husband and my loving pets that we will only see better things to come in the future. It will just take time to recupirate and rebuild.

((HUGS)) I do hope things get better between your husband and you. Sometimes men just don't think before they speak ( not to bash on men because I know some wemon who have the same problem trust me ). ((HUGS)) I am here if you want to talk.

I have my best breeding female and our very first sheltie that is not a breeding dog, she's pet quality. They are the only two I have left and I am not breeding them at the time. I probably wont breed dogs again for many many years. It takes time to get a good kennel set up and to find the right stud. I am living in a mobile home right now (lost my house due to my husbands illness - brain tumor - and him unable to work yet unable to get disability oddlly enough) and until we live in a house again with acerage and are financially secure I wont even consider looking for a stud. I am hoping that in three years we'll be more set financially and we can start looking for a new house.

I can recommend some good breeders though if anyone is interested in shelties. I have spoken with many over the past years. I don't know anything about breeding rabbits ( miffy is just a pet ) but breeding dogs was not something to easily jump in to. So many people think it's sticking to dogs togather and waiting for babies but there is so much more involved and it's a long, costly procedure that can leave you heart broken and broke if things don't go right.

Spring and Summer are the names of my two remaining dogs and we will be keeping them. :) (both females)

((HUGS))

Life sounds difficult for you right now. I just wanted to ask you something about your husbands inability to get disability. If he applied for Social Security disability by filling out forms and mailing them in and received a denial.. that does not mean anything. Social security denies almost everyone on the form. What you need to do is get advice from a good lawyer that specializes in assisting people in getting disability. He will most like to tell you to appeal the denial and then they will probably deny him again. At that point the lawyer will get involved and their may be a hearing after your husband sees a social security physician. It is a long process. Your husband should be paid back pay for the lenght of time that he was unable to work and the lawyer will take a fairly small amount of this. I was very ill in the early90's, bedridden, unable to work and even unable to fill out the forms (my mom had to do it. I had been warned about Social Security and expected a denial but appealed, got a great lawyer, had a court hearing and was granted the disability. Your husband will get it if he persists.

heavenlyshelties- Angie is so right. My mom used to be a social worker and said always apply more than once. I have talked to people who applied several times before actually getting it. Persistance pays off. I half wonder if they figure people will give up after they say no once and my other guess is that it all depends on how many people they happen to have on the list at the time that they are paying. I have heard that from govt employees but am not sure if it is true.

Either way the SS office has their own physician so even if his physician does not think he cannot work tell him to go there to apply or you can do it online or by phone. Atleast to get started. Good luck;)

im sorry your husband is giving you a hard time. i saw that a lot with my parents. they were so different and winded up getting divorced.

but i can tell you, i think allmarriages have a bit of that, esp when it comes to money. like actually, right now i should be in california, where we are moving, but instead i insist on staying three weeks alone with the cats and rabbit to be sure that they are safe, until the movers are out of here and all the detasils are wrapped up. i might even end up driving which is a significant risk to myself, just so i know they are safe.

they cant be brought toCA yet, because there are so many details we are tying up and no one to take care of them consistently there, like i can here. its frustrating for us both. but you know what? theyre my babies. not my real babies, but i think of them as my little babies. so we wait three weeks. i guess thats the way life goes. its hard sometimes.

i hope things are better. you sound like a very sweet, caringperson. money strain can bring out the worst in marriage. i hope your ship comes in real soon.

Hey, something you can do to make money from home is sell Avon. I am a rep myself, and I was sceptical when my DM told me how easy it was. It's true though.
I am in much the same position that you are with your hubby. He doesn't understand about me spending money on my animals either. I can kinda understand about his side on the finances, though, and we are trying to compromise on the spending. He takes care of the bills and the like the same as your hubby, and I tend to sometimes forget about those things. Thankfully, we don't have any really special needs animals.
I can only say, I hope that you and your Hubby can get past this. It is very stressful to have to watch every penny, and write out the bills hoping you will have enough to cover them. I see you side very easily also, though, I am an animal nut too. I hope that you feel better after hearinf from all of us, sometimes all you need is a shoulder, even if it is a virtual one! LOL

gentle giants ..........undesrtanding me helps me a lot. I would give up every thing for thepets which I guess puzzles him. I would do more right now if I could

angieluv wrote:
:DI used to be really interested in writing but at this point I think that I will concentrate on pet-sitting as it really agrees with me.
I'm a pet sitter, and I think it's a great thing to do. You basically enjoy spending time with animals and get paid for it. It can really cheer you up. The pay can be pretty good, too. During a busy time, I can have 3-6 jobs and earn $300-500 per week.

When I was pet-sitting in Chicago (just part-time) I just loved to wake up every morning. I just loved being outside all the time and everything about it.

Angie - I know you did not expect such a huge response but I was thinking about you while I was cutting my dogs nails and of course he leaked on the wood floor - alas his mom forgot his meds. I give him "leaks no more" a natural homeopathic remedy I purchased online but you can get it at an organic food store cheaper. PM me if you want and I will give you the ingredients that help incontinence. Yes even if it is an older dog. Maybe this would help relieve some stress too.

good luck,

:hug2

My older dog and cat don't "leak" urine..they just pee in the house. Every night I place a huge plastic dropcloth over the furniture and every morning I find a puddle of urine on the plastic from our 15 yr. old greyhound. I'm not sure that homeopathic meds would work ...its really not incontinence(which I would define as having no bladder control) Today we took our 16 yr old cat to the vet as she develloped a severe eye problem over the weekend. Because of her multiple illnesses and now the eye she most likely will not be with is too much longer. I think that the older animals with their meds and special food and wetting in the house sometimes "gets" to me.I'm basically doing better..Jim has been nicer and I will do my first rabbit-sitting job starting this week. Thanks for thinking of me.

Latest posts

Back