I will be gone for a while - leaving Feb. 11th (tenatively)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
Some things have happened with my mom and she is getting worse. She thinks the neighbors are breaking into her apartment to steal her bread. In addition - yesterday she had a "spell" where she didn't sound right so a friend and her sister-in-law (who is a nurse) went over to see mom and mom's blood pressure was either 178/90 or 187/90 (I didn't write it down). They stayed with mom for a couple of hours and got her to drink some water and play the piano a bit (which relaxes her) - and monitored her blood pressure some more. It finally went down to a more normal number. Mom has always had low blood pressure though - so this was really bad. (Mom's head was hurting and she was a bit dizzy too).

I DON'T KNOW WHY THEY DIDN'T TAKE HER TO AN EMERGENCY ROOM... so please don't ask.

Anyway - I am tenatively planning on flying home 2/12 and staying until 2/27...BUT...I am also clearing my work schedule so I can stay up to 2 months if need be (I'm not telling mom that).

While I am gone - I will not have internet connection. I may call Ali a lot and cry on her shoulder due to frustration! But I will basically be disconnected from much of my support system.

And I don't think their public library has a computer - its a teeny tiny town...

I just thought I'd let everyone know.

Between now and then I will be very very busy with a lot of things to get things organized.

I'll pop in again before I leave I"m sure...but I'd appreciate good thoughts and prayers as I will have to deal with a lot and I suspect I'm looking at having to clean out mom's place and getting her settled into a nursing home or some sort of center...

I hope that you can do whatever needs to be done when you go home. I hope that maybe if your mum can get the right help and care, she will improve, or at least stabilise mentally and improve physically.

Thinking of you.

x

:hug:You know my phone lines are open to you.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your mom. I am PMing my cell phone # in case you want to chat. I think you are doing the right thing by going just so you can see for yourself what is happening.

Ann

Peg, good luck. My grandma suffered from Alzheimer's so I know how horrible it is, I have so many stories. Paranoia is so common and it's just heartbreaking. I'll be thinking of you and hopefully Ali can give us updates!

I imagine this is going to be a very hard time for you and I'll hope you'll be able to sort things out for your mom and your family. I was in asimilar situation a few years ago (not Alzheimer's but other mental/emotional problems) I know how draining and upsetting it can be to see a parent deteriorate.
I wish you alot of strength and everyone will be still here when you get back. You'll be missed, Sabine

I hope your mother is ok and you have a safe trip,don't let stress beat you, keep your head on your shoulders and win the war, because sometimes that is what this illness is, it'slike a war, Ialsoknow it is hard to seesomeone you love change.I will miss you Tinysmom please don't forget us. :pink iris:

Oh Peg! I am so sorry about your Mom. She's gotten worse rather quickly hasn't she?! I knew you were so concerned before!

I'll be thinking of you and your mom and I pray that things go well and you come home quickly!

I hope you find a very good solution to caring for her.

*hugs*

It may not necessarily be dementia. It could be something else (UTI, high blood pressure, TIAs, etc.) causing the confusion and the hallucinations. A thorough physical is in order. Definitely blood work and a urinalysis.

Good luck.

Peg...I don't have any words of advice (or wisdom), but thought you could use another :hug2:.

Take care of your mom, but don't forget to take care of yourself as well. You'll certainly be missed while you're gone, and you and your mom will be in my thoughts and prayers.

~Di

We'll really miss you andI know this will be a hard trip and time for you. I have 2 parents both living at age 89 and 90 and in good health but very often I think that this is just around the corner for me andI worry howI will handle it...

so I"m really sorry that you're going through this now.

There is something that happens to an elderly person's brain that makes them paranoid.
I saw it when i worked in psychiatry andI saw it with grandma and my aunts; they all thought someone was coming into their apartments and stealing their things ; it must be a way to deny forgetfulness

seriously I think that it is a brain dysfunction rather than an emotional issue.

Ihope that you can get things settled with your mom quickly and come home to peace and calm
but what about the pets???

Latest posts

Back