I welcome your input on breed type...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fancy77

Reaction score
So as some of you know I traded Jay Jay for a nice doe we decided to name Rose. The rescue wasnt sure on what breed she is. She has a tattoo on her ear so I believe she might be a pure bred rabbit.

1Rose131.jpg

4Rose131.jpg

3Rose131.jpg

Thanks a bunch in advance!!!

Looks like maybe a Satin to me, but it's hard to tell. Satins have that shiny, "satin" fur which is unique to their breed. And red is one of the common colors for that breed. So I'd say Satin.:)

I was just reading breed standards for both of your thoughts and I am leaning towards Satin...I am still hooked on the tattoo thing thinking she is pure bred. But then agin what do I know

She doesn't fit the breed standard for any breed. Possibly someone's project - a full arch satinized breed? She's too long in bone to be a Satin, but too heavy to be a Hare (Hares also commonly come in red, but the color is not showable).

I've been researching Satins, and that was my guess too.

Pam has told me that, because satinized fur is recessive, the only way a rabbit can have Satin fur is if both parents have Satin fur. If she's a cross, then both parentswould have to beSatin crosses too. Do crossbreds get tattoos?

Love the colour of her fur!

Rue

P.S.Pam,you posted while I was posting! :)

Correct - satin is recessive, so both parents must carry it.

Any rabbit can be tattooed, even if not purebred. The tattoo makes me suspect that she was indeed being used in some type of breeding project.

great to know, thx for clearing that up Pam...I think I will say Satin Cross then...Like i said b4 I could b wrong but I was getting hooked up on that tattoo.

Thx again

soemone might have also shown her in a pet class at a fair. I know at the Washington County fair all rabbits-pets included- had to be tattooed.

very pretty none the less

Blaze_Amita wrote:
soemone might have also shown her in a pet class at a fair. I know at the Washington County fair all rabbits-pets included- had to be tattooed.

very pretty none the less
OH really wow, good to know. I thought ppl only tattooed purebred show quality animals...I learn something new everyday :biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back