I was ATTACKED!! **UPDATED**

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~*Midnight Moon*~

Reaction score
Iwent outside to feed, and the animals were really acting strange. All the chickens were on my front porch, and my duck was on top of the barn.

Not really thinking much of it, I went into the barn where and the goats are usually laying on the hay trailer, well they werent. Now it was starting to get even more weird.

My youngest nubian goat, and my pygmy weather were huddled in the corner, while my oldest nubian was staring at something in the opposite corner under the saddle racks.

By this time I was getting rather curious, so of course I was going to go check out what was under there. Well after I got so close a fox came flying out, and stopped just short 5ft in front of me.

I started backing away slowly, but the the fox just kept getting closer, way to comfortable around people. It's when he started making weird meow-growl-hiss sounds. I thought he was going ot eat me! Well ok not really.. but still!

All of a sudden my goat comes out of know where, and slams into the side of the fox. She wanted to keep slamming into him but I grabbed her collar and pulled her away, while the fox got up and flew out the door.

I watched as he went into the horse pasture, where my stud chased him the length of the pasture and he got under the fence line just in time.

The thing that worrys me the most about the fox is that he wasnt afraid of me, he more than likely would of bit me if my goat hadnt of been there. I can now say my goat has saved my life. Well.. Sorta not really. But she should have a medal or something!

A live trap has been set, and I am sure the fox will return since there are still food here for him to track down. I hope to have him caught before I leave for the fair. That gives me a few weeks anyway.

I am sad to have to say however, I did lose a chicken in this process. which I found under the saddles. I hope she can help me catch him now, and I am sure that she doesnt mind that she is baiting my live trap.

From now on and until we catch him I will be bringing my hunting dog outside with me to feed animals. If he should return and decides to pull another stunt like that I will be ready for him.

**UPDATE**

Well, I now know that I should of just left the fox alone and let it live among my animals hopefully finding peace. Because now I have a bit of a situation.

The first night that I set the trap, I didnt set it correctly. The peice that holds the door shut when the trap is set off was locked securely against the door, for this it didnt hold the door down by springing out and locking in place.
Half of my bate and whatever was in there, was gone. Easily being able to push open the door, and be on it's way.

Well, I didnt really think much of what I could of been catching, so I reset the trap, correctly this time. And waited, a few hours later I went out to check it and I had caught a feral cat, after releasing the cat I decided not to set it again until later tonight, when all other animals would be sleeping.

So, night came and I went out to set the trap, I rebaited and left it.

I went out there this morning and the first thing I noticed was that the trap was set off. I could see something black and just assumed it was the cat again..

The animal startled jumping up from a laying position where it revealed to me two white striped running down it's back.

I trapped a skunk.

Foxes rarely attack people, but if you corner them they will. Best thing to do is just get out of the way. It kind of sounds like you were standing facing him with your back to the only ''escape route'' with him in front of you? The noises he was making just sound like warning noises, he would have probably ran up along side you and out the door if he got closer. If you stood to the side to let him pass he would have just ran out. He probably won't come back for quite awhile after that fright he got. What are you going to do if you trap a fox?

It very well could of went out the back door, or the side door.. which he chose to not do. If I trap him I was planning on bringing him across the river to my grandparents place, they have a large farm up there however they dont have any animals.

I don't know if this is very helpful or not, but on the tv show Verminators on Discovery, I watched an episode where they caught a bunch of skunks and set them free... So I guess what I'm trying to say is maybe a local extermintor can handle it and if you tell them you don't want them to kill it, they will (hopefully) follow that request. But you'd have to call them about that since maybe not all exterminators are like the ones on tv ^_^;;; That's just an option you could try to explore for your skunk problem. I'm no expert or anything, sorry!

I have delt with skunk in traps a few times, and I am panning on relocating the skunk. She/He isreally cute <3

Step one, covering the trap with a tarp is complete. Now, in a few hours I will be attempting to move the trap for relocation.

LMAO sorry about your chicken and your troubles but you wrote it in such a way... Lol @ the skunk. Hope you don't mind, but I'm glad i'm too far away to help! :laughsmiley:

Ooh No worries, I wish I was too far away to help too. xD The skunk seems really nice, at least right now. When I tarped her, she didnt hiss, growl, or stamp her feet at all.
I am hoping to get some pictures before I release her.

And trust me, I find the skunk part hilarious. But kinda upset that the fox is still out there.

We don't have rabies in Ireland, so I don't really have any experience with that, but doesn't rabies make foxes crazy? Foxes don't just attack for no reason, there must be something to it.

That is scary..
As a wildlife rehabilitator, I am certainly in no way advocating doing anything to harm the fox. But if you continue to think something is wrong with it, relocating it is not a cool thing to do, as you will be transferring the problem to someone/place else.

I'm gonna get me a goat..

I agree. The original plan was to just relocate. But the more I see him, the more I think he has issues. He will probably have to be put down. I'll probably just turn him over to the DNR

Boldness like you observed can also be indicative of rabies; even earlier stage rabies can cause behavioral changes, and if you've observed him and he seems "off," it might be best to contact your state wildlife officials and let them deal with it. Foxes are a fairly common vector and while it's certainly not guarenteed, it's generally better to be safe than sorry if you see a common vector species looking or acting oddly.

Maybe you can contact public safety or some other thing like that. If you think the fox isn't right, they have an obligation to deal with it. :expressionless

I think that goat should get the metal of honor or something. lol. Sorry I don't really know what to say about anything else I just think it's pretty cool that the goat did that.

Latest posts

Back