I wanted to ask some advice for my friend ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mini lop luva

Reaction score
Hello guys

My friend has just got a mini lop buckspayed he is about 1 and over i think and she wants to give him afriend, but i dunnoh as they may not get along as the buck has beenused to liveing on his own, i dont want her to get a baby rabbit andjust put it in with him as she will do i try to help her as i know morebut she wont listen i do not want a fight beetween her rabbits ? pleasehelp me to give her the correct advice xxx georgie

First of all, your friend will need to waituntil her rabbit is healed. Figure about 2 weeks for a neuter(but the sperm are still active for 3-4 weeks after surgery!) and 1month for a spay. Second, she needs a second cage.Third, print this site off for her:

http://www.mybunnies.com/bonding.htm

It helped me a lot. Also, explain to her that bonding rabbitscan sometimes take a very long time, but it is rewarding. Ifshe gets a baby rabbit, she might bond them only to have it all fallapart if the younger one gets temperamental when they hit puberty.

Is she set on getting a baby or would she like to adopt aspayed/neutered adult from a shelter? If she's going to ashelter, she can set up a "play date" to bring her rabbit in and meetthe new one. If they ignore each other or like each other,good. If they fight, it'll be a much longer bonding processand she can decide to wait for a rabbit that both of them will like.

I'm really in favor of adopting in cases like this. It's mucheasier to see the rabbit's personality and how they will act with thecurrent bunny.

Also, if she doesn't know, tell her to be careful. Rabbitsare social animals and they have a hierarchy. They will workout who is top bunny, and they can be violent about it. Theyare capable of doing damage. I don't want to scare you orher, but your friend needs to keep this in mind. She needs towatch both rabbits very carefully and be ready to pull them apart at amoment's notice.

i thought that my bun must be lonely when iwasn't home, so i got a baby bun to keep her company, also cause ithought the baby was pretty, and there was this kinda mean looking manpoking at the baby in the pet store so i took her home. things went badat home. my older bun Rue went nuts and started attacking the baby (whoi moved straight away to another cage) then started trying to bite me.

Well even though i don't regret getting the baby, it took a while formy older bun to forgive me (she still is jealous). And i have not beenable to bond them so they get separate cuddles and runs. This takesalot of patience and time, so your friend should be prepared for allthis.

good luck to your friend anyway they choose.

to give a bunny a good and loving 'forever' home, is a good thing to do.

Nicole

It really does depend on her rabbit. As we all know, they all have their own personalities and ways.

I had a lop eared buck, Chompers, who was 3 when we got Abby. She was 8 weeks old. It was love at first sight with those two.

Later on, we got a third rabbit, Valuran, a buck. Chompers and Valurangot along fine. It was WWWIII with Abby, she went ballistic andattacked him constantly.

If possible, see if she can introduce her current rabbit to a doe andsee if they get along. If there are any rescues in her area, I'dsuggest her seeking them out for assistance in choosing a partner forher rabbit.

Back