I want to see a binky!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luluznewz

Reaction score
Lulu doesnt seem that into running around and zooming. She hops at a slow to moderate pace regularly but thats it. It's only been two weeks since I got her (wow it feels SO much longer).

When did your bunnies start to strut their stuff?

Kirby (shelter adopted) started to do some "rapid bursts of running" which I now know are happy bunny 500s in his pen after a few days. He didn't binky til about 2 weeks later. My husband saw him do it first. He said to me "Helen... Kirby is hopping irregularly!!! What's wrong with him?" lol

Toby (pet store bought as a baby) was binkying pretty much as soon as he hit the floor of my home. He's just always thrilled by stuff.

Some bunnies binky more than others. Some bunnies express their joy in other ways, like lying down in a melted "pancake", flopping over, "dead bunny flops", making noises, running around... binky is just one expression!

My girl Lulu runs around like a mad thing, I swear one day she is going to hurt herself from running head first into something. For a while I thought she was running really fast because she was scared, but now I think she does this because it is fun (like Helen said above). However, it has only been in the last few weeks that I have seen her do this binky type thing where she jumps about a foot or more into the hair from standing still. I have had her for 5 months so I guess every bunnies timeline is different.

Lopsy, my boy bunny, has never done a binky but he has two dodgy legs so I don't expect he could if he tried. he has other ways of showing he is happy... like hopping up to me as fast as he can :)

roxy doesnt binky much either - she has always been a quiet little soul tho'. i do get noserubs, chilling out and dbf. younger hartleybun binkies and races about for the two of them. he seems to be more skittish when im trying to get him for the night and its stormy. wind and rain really get him hopping:D

Is Lulu an older bun? I find my 6-year olds don't binky nearly as much now as they used to.

My baby bunnies binky like crazy, but it took them a couple weeks of settling in before they were comfortable enough to do so. They were kept in a small cage with 6 other bunnies - their littermates and mother - so I wouldn't have expected them to know freedom from the start. They're 6 months old now... my more shy bunny tends to binky less, but when he does, he tend to 'helicopter'. He springs up in the air and spins a full 360° before landing and sitting still again.

Thanks for the stories guys! Lulu (my Lulu, I noticed someone else has one too) is about a year old, so its not about age. I hope she will do one eventually...I've never seen a bunny binky.

Also, for those of you with free range bunnies, do they hop between all the rooms? Lulu just stays in her one hall...its very odd.

Binky...hahahahah. I am new to bunnies and that is so funny! My bunny Iza binks a lot! Now I know what he is doing :) Binky haha

The helicopter is very impressive. Kirby is too pudgey and doesn't get enough hang time to manage a 360. He gets only 180 lol :p

is it easy for Lulu to get between rooms? Because I would let Kirby ot and I'd encourage him to go explore but he always wimped out and ran home to his cage. He slips all over the place on hardwood floor so I eventually bought some children's play mats (foam kind) and laid a path out to the livig room. Now he is happily moving about the whole apartment becaus he knows it's safe and fun. It only took me 10 months to figure out why. :p

Well the entire house had hardwood floors, including the hall/room she lives in. It doesn't seem to bother her in her space. I cant really put carpets through the entire house. Do hardwood floors really bother them a lot?

Both my bunnies are extremely discouraged by hardwood floor. They don't like walking on it at all. They slip and slide and have zero control of their running because of lack of traction. Kirby never moved an inch beyond the hallway on his own before I got some play mats for him. Toby would go out, slip and slide a bit, and then run back home (sliding and dangerously flinging himself all about, I might add). Jumping was a hazard!

Laying down the play mats definitely helps me control where I want them to roam also. I don't want them in the kitchen or the bedroom so there is no path to those rooms. They don't bother to even explore without a "red carpet" laid out for them ;)The play mats are cheap, pretty readily available at most children's toy and specialty shops. I've also seen them at places like Wal-mart and Target. I got a pack of 6 interlocking mats, thinnest ones I could find (cheaper). I lay them out most of the time, and put them away if I need to clean or have company over.

I have hardwood floor all over except for the area rug in my living room. When they get to the living room, all they do is run circles on the area rug because it's SO good for traction. They just love it so much. I have bunny paw tracks all over my area rug by the end of the week (vacuuming smooths it all out, no worries).

Latest posts

Back