i want more pets...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

girlzilla

Reaction score
i've already got my bun bun ludo, my cat moo, my five fish (fork, spoon, knife, plate, and cup), but i want more pets.

would mice be ok in the same room as my bunny? obviously the mice would be in their cage and not free range like my bun, but mouse urine isn't toxic to rabbits is it? maybe i will get two female mice. i love mice, they're so cute andsmart and i could watch them play and eat for hours. only problem is my cat would sit next to their cage doing this for hours - :shock:. i would have to make sure i didn't leave her alone in the room with them and i would have to make sure i get a cat proof cage. my room already smells like a zoo from the hay, pellets, etc. i'm sure two more pets won't make a difference lol. wow. that's 9 animals living in my room. sweet. i wonder if my bunny would be ok with letting a little mouse sniff his nose? i've had heaps of mice and none of them have ever bitten me, not even once.

anyone else got pet mice? they would be okay to keep in the same room as a rabbit wouldn't they? any thoughts people? :)

Lol, I'm not allowed to have those thoughts until I get my own place. Between me and my roommate we have 2 cats, 2 bunnies, 2 bearded dragons, 2 snakes, 1 chinchilla, and 1 chameleon. We would have a dog too if we could find somewhere that allows him but for now he's with my brothers. I have the mammals covered and she's got the reptiles. Now all we need is a roommate that's into birds lmao.

Never had mice, I've had rats though. I'm guessing as long as you keep the room well ventilated it'll be fine.

I don't have mice, but I have two dwarfhamsters living in the same room as my free roam bunny. :)Maddie has little or no interest in them, she sometimes lays beside the cages but I don't really know if she even understands they what they are. :pIt annoys her when they go on the wheels though, she doesn't like the noise. ;)

I can't imagine the urine would be a problem, they are so small there is very little of it anyway, and as long as it's cleaned regularly its fine. :)

I have 4 gerbils living in the same room a Penny and dont have a problem. Execpt trying to fit everybody and still have room me the dogs, me and my mom to move around and get to the door. mice should be OK, but I would reccomend gerbils ;)

We have a large teddy hamster living with us while my sister's boyfriend is away at college. Loki has bumped it a couple of times when they're both on my bed, but otherwise he pretends its not there. Lily is afraid of him if he is in the ball but could care less if he's walking around loose. The hamster is oblivious.

t.

girlzilla,

i vote rats. and shoot for two males, they are less aggressive than female rats in my experience. rats are more apt to allow you to hold them, as well as far more intelligent than mice :)

tracy

I agree 100% with Tracey :). Two male rats are the way to go. Make sure you do PLENTY of research though, rats are very complicated animals to keep.

They must not be kept in glass tanks, a wire cage is the best for ventilation.
They must not be fed food from the pet store, a homemade diet is the best.
They must be fed human breakfasts and dinners, what we eat...is what they eat (if it's healthy).
They can cost you a lot of money at the vet's office if they get sick.
They have a VERY very very delicate respiratory system.

There is soooo much more to learn about rats. Heavy research is the key before bringing rats into the home.

The reason why I do not suggest mice, is that they are not a very humane sociable animal. They like their cages and their playmates, forget holding and cuddling up to most mice. I've had mice, and they are actually a lot stinkier than rats....imagine that :shock:.

Here is a thread about my rats, with pictures:
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=27297&forum_id=5&highlight=rat

your rats are adorable! i like the picture of your little fella giving you a smooch :)

i had two female rats once, ivy and lily. lily was pregnant when i bought her although she wasn't showing so i didn't know at the time. once she began to show, she became highly aggressive and would bite anyone or anything that came near her. her bite hurt more than any rabbit bite! she was very good at drawing blood. she was very nasty towards ivy too, who was a sweet little friendly girl.

so two males together wouldn't fight? i would have thought that two females together would be less hostile than two males, whoda thunked it!

i will definitely do my research before i even consider a rat, a mouse, a dinosaur, whatever i decide. one thing i cannot tolerate is people who rush out and buy animals when they have no clue about the animal and have doneno research. i think all people should be made to sit an exam and pass it before even being allowed to buy a pet. when i'm president, i will enforce this rule! :biggrin2:

right, off to google ratties....

girlzilla wrote:
so two males together wouldn't fight? i would have thought that two females together would be less hostile than two males, whoda thunked it!

If you buy or adopt two males from the same cage, then they shouldn't ever fight. It is when you buy one male, then go and get another...then put them together that they are more likely to fight. I find that males like to wrestle a lot, which looks like fighting....but they are just playing.

Actually....female rats also get along wonderfully together :D.

i've also heard it's possible to litter train rats so when you get them out of the cage for playtime, they don't wizzle all over you. rats are so smart, most people have no idea how intelligent they are.

i've datedguys who weren't as smart as rats lol

girlzilla wrote:
i've also heard it's possible to litter train rats so when you get them out of the cage for playtime, they don't wizzle all over you. rats are so smart, most people have no idea how intelligent they are.

i've datedguys who weren't as smart as rats lol
You are correct, rats can be litter trained, but mainly for their poopies. I find that rats just pee wherever in their cage.

I've only been peed on by a rat when they are extremely nervous, so only a few times have I been peed on, lol.

Oh, I know my rattie boys are smarter than some guys that I have dated as well :p.

hehe. only problem is two are goldfish and three are black moors and i have NO idea who is who! fork, knife, and spoon all look the same, as do cup and plate.

I used to have a pet rat! His name was Mortimor. My then boyfriend got him for me from some people he knew who were keeping it in WAY too small of a cage (the poor thing could barely turn around without bumping into his water bottle). I had him for 3 years before I moved from Maine out to Arizona and had to leave him with my ex boyfriend. My mother never enjoyed rats so I wasn't allowed to have him in my mother's house and he was much more bonded with my ex so that's where he remained. I haven't seen him since :(. He was a sweetie though! I bought him a huge cage with two stories and he was spoiled rotten. I would walk around with him on my shoulder and people would just freak out. I don't know what it is about their tails either but people just get weirded out by them...

I also had 2 pet mice. They were alright but like everyone else seems to be saying they weren't that social with me. They got along alright with one another but could care less if I existed as long as there was some way they could get their food.

Then I graduated to a long haired teddy hamster..I loved that girl to death. She lived 4 years before dying from what I believe was a brain tumor (she was having a seizure and that's what my mother the nurse thought could be the reason). She was much friendlier than the mice but not as friendly as my rat.

Good luck finding which works best for you! I would have so many pets if I had the time and the space..

YES get a rat or two! Dont get the females because my female (Inky) we had to put to sleep because she had HUMONGOUS mammory tumors which females are prone too.... I miss her!!! But rats are very smart and loving.:biggrin2:

horselvrkc wrote:
YES get a rat or two!

You must ALWAYS get TWO rats. Rats thrive on the companionship of other rats.

I got Leonidas when he was the only rat in the cage at the store, then I went back and got Spartan when they had more rats. Now, Spartan and Leonidas will not get along. I have been trying very hard to "bond" them, but they just won't accept each other. I think Leonidas is just a happy fatty rattie in his own cage....with his own stuff.

I am going to try again when I get my new rat cage in a week. The cage and everything in it will be new....so I am hoping they will get along then.

Rats are the most wonderful little creatures,we had three girl ratties all living happily together,and oh my they were such spoiled little things(and they knew it to)

They really do make lovely pets,mine would come when i called their names,they're very,very smart little things :)

Cheryl

Latest posts

Back