I think they mated =( I feel so bad!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuvMyRabbits

Reaction score
So I have bad news...I'm pretty sure that Shadow succeeded at mating with Spirit and I feel absolutley horrible! I only stepped out of the room for not even 30 seconds to grab a water..when I came back in the room Shadow made this noise and rolled off of her onto the floor...:cry1:He's never made a sound since he's been here so I'm not sure what that was about but..

I cant tell you how bad I feel about this..what if she got pregnant!?!?? There are so many bunnies out there now without a home..how irresponsible of me to maybe make that number more...I dont know what to do now...I just hope shes not pregnant:pray:He hasnt been trying anything with her since a few weeks ago when he had those 2days where he just wouldnt leave her alone..everythings been calm and cool since then..

I had planned on getting them fixed before now but unfortunatley with the unexpected fur mite thing for both of them..then Spirit getting the URI..the spay/neuter fund was gone...what should I do now????

Could you get her emergency spayed? Maybe ask someone to lend you some money?

Unfortauntely, rabbits can 'do the deed' within a second or two and its not really advisable to let two unneutered rabbits of the opposite gender play together for this reason (as you now know).

Its importan from now on not to let them play together even if you are supervising.

How old are they both?

Flashy wrote:
Could you get her emergency spayed? Maybe ask someone to lend you some money?

Unfortauntely, rabbits can 'do the deed' within a second or two and its not really advisable to let two unneutered rabbits of the opposite gender play together for this reason (as you now know).

Its importan from now on not to let them play together even if you are supervising.

How old are they both?

Well when we got them we were told they were both females around 6weeks old but at the vet a while later they told us he was a boy around 6mts and her a girl 7mts..The only reason I let them be together is because he didnt try anything with her..they would just lay together and do their regular rabbit things ( like I said there was 2days awhile ago that he wouldnt leave her alone but I just let them take turns running free for those 2days then he didnt try anything else with her after that )...Had planned on getting them both fixed then had 2 unexpected vet visits that cost quite a bit of money so that forced me to put it off ( rent was due that same week )

As far as anyone to borrow money from I dont think that is possible although I wish more than anything it was espicially now that this happened..I'm so at a loss on what to do now:tears2:

Good news is I found a vet that would Spay her for 146.00 and him for 126.00 which is a good price compared to the 240.00 some vets were charging but I dont know how much that will help now that this has happened and I still dont have the money for it

She may already be pregnant then, if they have been together for a long time. Even if they don't let you see, these bunnies are sneaky things and will find a way.

Are they living apart?

They have seperate cages that they stay in at night ...but during the day they just run free in my room..right now I have Shadow in the cage and Spirit is out..I'm just going to take turns letting them be out like before

LuvMyRabbits wrote:
Good news is I found a vet that would Spay her for 146.00 and him for 126.00 which is a good price compared to the 240.00 some vets were charging but I dont know how much that will help now that this has happened and I still dont have the money for it
You can still get her spayed, even if she has mated :)

If you wanted to, could you afford to get her spayed? He could then be neutered at a later date if you wanted to.

I think there is a very real chance she is already pregnant anyway, so you may need to be prepared for a litter anytime within the next 33 days or so, if you don't spay her.

Letting them take turns is good :)

Flashy wrote:
If you wanted to, could you afford to get her spayed? He could then be neutered at a later date if you wanted to.

I think there is a very real chance she is already pregnant anyway, so you may need to be prepared for a litter anytime within the next 33 days or so, if you don't spay her.

Letting them take turns is good :)
I'm going to try today and figure something out..money is sotight right now and rent is due again the first..another thing I'm concerned about is that Spirit is out of her antibiotics for the URI but she is still sneezing!! Sigh.....Everything is going so wrong I love my rabbits to death and want nothing but the best for them both... I feel so guilty right now about everything that has happened..I should have been more prepared money wise I guess before getting them..My intentions were to get them both fixed a month ago..but it seemed to be one thing after another and it just wasnt happening =(

There's no harm in waiting to get them fixed, the slip up occurred when you let them play together, unfortunately, but we live and learn, and that's what you're doing. We all make mistakes, its how we deal with those mistakes that is important.

It would possibly work out cheaper to get her spayed than to face her needing an emergency spay if something goes wrong with the labour, or to have to pay more money if something is wrong with the kits.

It sounds like she needs to go back to the vets anyway. I wonder if they could palpate her and tell you if she has an advanced pregnancy or no visible signs yet.

Also, it may be worth posting in the Infirmary about her anti bios because often vets are too conservative when it comes to URI treatments and normally use things like Baytril which is not very effective alone, so maybe someone in the Infirmary might be able to suggest a better medication regime that you may be able to suggest to your vet.

Another possibility is the Humane Society for a cheaper spay/neuter. Ours has a low-cost program that costs $40 for a spay or neuter.

ok, i done that stupid thing aswell....
and i felt like an ass... but any way. my female got pregnate at about 5months.... and the males was about the same age.
so i do think your female is pregnate. at least you saw it happen so now you CAN expect babies to come, not as a shock. but as claire said you could get her spayed at the human socity.
aslong as the two are not near ecach other, tahts great. im not sure how old you are, but you could get a smallsaturady job.
and some vets will spay and let you pay in bits aswell.
if you need any advice, im here. (when im not asleep)
good luck
elena

irishlops wrote:
ok, i done that stupid thing aswell....
and i felt like an ass... but any way. my female got pregnate at about 5months.... and the males was about the same age.
so i do think your female is pregnate. at least you saw it happen so now you CAN expect babies to come, not as a shock. but as claire said you could get her spayed at the human socity.
aslong as the two are not near ecach other, tahts great. im not sure how old you are, but you could get a smallsaturady job.
and some vets will spay and let you pay in bits aswell.
if you need any advice, im here. (when im not asleep)
good luck
elena
Yes I'm feeling quite guilty right now...I am going to call the humane society now and see if they do rabbit spays/neuters and see if they possibly have a better price..I'm 32 ( birthday was yesterday... guess Shadow wanted to give me a gift :expressionless) and have 3 boys so thats basically my job ..My fiance is working so I'm going to try to see what we can work out dealing with his income..hopefully the humane society will do it ...I just hope they are well educated and know what they are doing..I would feel horrible if someone who didnt know what they were doing hurt her ( kinda leary on who I trust now..due to the fact the first vet said they were both females :rollseyes) Can they even do a spay if she is still sneezing?? Would that make it more dangerous for her?? Oh my so many things to figure out....:tears2:

I checked the Michigan Humane Society's website and they do offer vet care, I would assume at a lower price. However they don't list the price of any procedure. They may give you that if you call.

How long does the vet have you giving antibiotics? If it's a standard 2 week course, she'd be done by now, right? I would think that if the URI symptoms are gone, it would be safe to spay her while she's still on antibiotics, but you could wait just a few more days, perhaps up to a week and half before having her spayed. Rabbits' gestation is 28 days, so it would be best to have her spayed sooner than later, but I think it would be fine up to 14 days into gestation.

Hm.. are you sure of their genders? I remember seeing a picture of them together, and they both looked mature... so I think if something were to have happened, would have happened by now. I know when you had them together they looked older than 3 months.. just putting it out there the slight possibility that you could have both females or both males?

Flashy wrote:
Even if they don't let you see, these bunnies are sneaky things and will find a way.

Tell me about it :rollseyes,

I was told that my Pippi was a girl....long story short....he wasn't a girl at all...he was a boy!...i found out after my girls had babies...i was in shock...i had never seen a baby bunny before that...and i kept the babies who are now over four years old.

The funny thing is i never seen him humping the girls...now that's sneaky...he must have done it at night time lol..little bugger!

I hope your bunny isn't pregnant...i know the feeling of the unexpected...but at least you might have some idea if she's pregnant....i didn't know until the babies were born lol

Spring wrote:
Hm.. are you sure of their genders? I remember seeing a picture of them together, and they both looked mature... so I think if something were to have happened, would have happened by now. I know when you had them together they looked older than 3 months.. just putting it out there the slight possibility that you could have both females or both males?

Well I just laid them both on their backs ( one at a time of course) and there is definitley a difference between the 2...I found something on google with the actual images so I could know what I'm looking for. So from what I see Shadow is definitley a boy and Spirit a girl...Is there a posibility that Shadow is not a mini lop and maybe could have been young when we got him and is just now reaching sexual maturity( they told us he was 6wks )? The vet we took him to about a month ago said his testicals had notdropped yet..isnt that a sign that he could of been younger than the 6mths that the first vet told us??Could that be the reason he hasnt been all over her since we got him??When I took him to the vet she did mention that he was to big to be a mini lop..and he really hasnt tried anything with her except that one time awhile back and then today..its more her mounting him if anything...On another note I did call the humane society today to get a price on getting her spayed and unfortunatley they didnt answer..hopefully tomorrow I can get ahold of someone and they can give me some info...

This is a pic of him from about 2 weeks ago..last vet visit he weighed 5.2 pounds Does he look like a mini lop??
IMG_3261.jpg

If you got a spay for her now (even if financially hard) it will be better for her and also cost you a whole lot less than having 6-7 baby rabbits to care for, feed, separate,etc ; that would cost a fortune.
No one here is judging you at all; things like this do happen and we all learn. from itRight now it is more important for you to do something about it than criticize yourself.

Considering his weight and recent interest in mating.. I'm guessing he's not a mini lop. Since mini lops max at 6 and a half lbs (according to ARBA).. at more than5.2lbs, he would have been showing interest in breeding a lot earlier than now, wouldn't he? May be worth posting in the rabbitry for insight on this since I don't know at what weight a mini lop would be mature enough to mate.

So I'm thinking he's a lot larger than a mini lop. He could easily be a young french lop... which may be a cause for alarm depending on Spirit's breed. French lops are massive, averaging at least 10+ lbs.. so a spay early on may be your best bet even if you are not financially able to, since you may be looking at an emergency spay if the kits end up too big for mom to deliver. Since you're not positive on the breeds of the two bunnies, may be a bit risky to allow the pregnancy to continue because of the potentially drastic sizes.

I don't mean to scare you, but figured it's best knowing now so you have some time to plan so you don't end up with complications.

Spring wrote:

Well I just laid them both on their backs ( one at a time of course) and there is definitley a difference between the 2...I found something on google with the actual images so I could know what I'm looking for. So from what I see Shadow is definitley a boy and Spirit a girl...Is there a posibility that Shadow is not a mini lop and maybe could have been young when we got him and is just now reaching sexual maturity( they told us he was 6wks )? The vet we took him to about a month ago said his testicals had notdropped yet..isnt that a sign that he could of been younger than the 6mths that the first vet told us??Could that be the reason he hasnt been all over her since we got him??When I took him to the vet she did mention that he was to big to be a mini lop..and he really hasnt tried anything with her except that one time awhile back and then today..its more her mounting him if anything...On another note I did call the humane society today to get a price on getting her spayed and unfortunatley they didnt answer..hopefully tomorrow I can get ahold of someone and they can give me some info...

This is a pic of him from about 2 weeks ago..last vet visit he weighed 5.2 pounds Does he look like a mini lop??
IMG_3261.jpg

He doesn't really look like my mini lop...

Latest posts

Back