I think there is something wrong with Storm (Resolved)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs. PBJ

Reaction score
he is breathing fast and has small pooh.

But other then that he is fine healthy eating and pooh normal his pooh are just small.

He is drinking normal also. Sitting in his litter box right now muching on hay

He got a new toy thats wicker and he eats it like hay I wonder if thats the calporate. I did his gas routine with some ben bac.

His tummy seem fine though.

I just had his teeth and ears checked last month. There fine he has one tooth that the doctor say may neede some work but not for a while. When I first got him his teeth where worse so the hay is doing its job.

I cant seem to get him healthy long enough for him to not hate me:tears2:

Really we get a relationship going and then I have to shove meds and stuff down his throat

I don't know, really. It sounds like it could be a gut slowdown or the beginning of stasis, so you might try to get him to drink more by offering pedialyte or flavoring the water. You could also put out some canned pumpkin and give Bene-Bac. The fast breathing is a bit worrisome: do you know how to take his temp/are comfortable doing so? That may help, because if he's got something really bad going on like shock (which I don't expect because he's still eating, pooping, and drinking), he could have increased breathing and temperature changes. Low temp would mean shock. Here's a link on rabbit normal temp and how to take it:
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/sickbun.html

I know you're very observant of your bunnies so it's important to go with your gut instinct on this one--often an owner who keeps a close eye on their rabbits will find something sooner than a vet or non-vigilant owner will, and that can make a big difference in treatment.

PS: He'll forgive you. Eventually they seem to learn that we're just trying to help.

A good example of an owner not being good at detecting illness in their animals is me with hamsters. I had a hammie that was sleeping a lot and was difficult to rouse. I thought she was just being sleepy. When I came home from work I couldn't wake her up at all, and she was getting cold. I took her to the emergency vet but it was too late. Another hamster showed no signs of anything wrong until one day I came home and she was dead for no apparent reason (at a younger age than normal for hamsters). Yet another time I took a hamster to the vet for "bulging eyes." I was told that her eyes were totally normal for a hamster. I also used to cut her nails, but then I was told that they were a normal length for a hamster. Obviously, I am clueless when it comes to hamsters, and that really hurts how I take care of them. The one with "bulging eyes" and "long toenails" is still with me, but I don't notice big changes in her because I don't know what to look for, and I'm not as vigilant in looking after her as I am with my bunnies.

I know many people may find this naugsty. But here are picture of the three types of pooh he has started putting out all of the sudden. In the last 3 hours sense this first post.

His water intake still is normal his hay intake is not but also when I mess with him he stays on the bottom part of his cage so I atribute it to that also.

He has the small ones that other then being small they are the same as his big poohs.

He has some that where getting runny these are not his cecels I know this for sure as I have seen his cecels.

He has some there not water diarehhia but its one big pooh.

His pee is not in anyway different I am in the proccess of cleaning out the litter box now so that I can se exactly what he is doing. Oh and I removed the toy in question in another thread cause all the changes started to happen when i put the toy in.

SDC11676.jpg

This is all three right next to each other

SDC11669.jpg

This is the running pooh in his litter box still

SDC11668.jpg

This is the semi running pooh its still formed in round balls but soft.

SDC11680.jpg

This is the running pooh on the paper I will be pooh inspecting for a few days. I have already called his vet and taken a pooh sample up there for test. We also ran a blood test. I dont give antibiotic to my pets with out cause there is no fever. We checked that. I did give some sub q's at dr hendersons orders. Just in case.

I want to say Storm has had major gut slow down but never had runny pooh. He is still responding to noice I click my toung and he will still come to me.I have alway done this at breakfasttime or fun time so he knows it means a good thing.

OMG I hate it when there sick

Doc check over his tummy seem a tad hard. The next step if stuff come back normal is ex rays he has gone to free range bunny so I am not watching him out all the time he may have got into something

It sounds like you're very much on top of this.

The runny poos you're talking about sound a lot unformed cecotropes described here:
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html
and "intermittent soft stools" described here.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=670&S=5&SourceID=43

I'm pretty sure I've seen something like this before with my guys--the unformed cecals--when they get a bit slowed down in the GI due to hair or eating something strange. I usually just dose Bene-Bac, but my guys really have stomachs of steel, and they don't breathe any faster when this happens, and it's maybe one or two funny poos at a time.

It was really smart to get his poo checked, and the blood test will help too. I would give Bene-Bac and reduce veggies for a little while, put out some new hay. It may be a bit of an imbalance in his cecum's bacteria, due to slowdown, or getting into something (especially something starchy). :dunno:

edit: he looks pretty comfy to me, but this is probably his naptime anyway, right? middle of the day?

Yeah its his nap time he has a very sinsative stomach. So anything sends him in a gas belly. He is mad I took the toy out he loves that thing I think it may be from the toy. The first test already came back no worms of any kind and his blood test wont be back tell tomorrow.
Now he is tearing up his floor or the card board he is so moody.

Here is a picture of the toy its only been in his cage like 5 days I think
SDC11684.jpg

SDC11683.jpg

He has toys that he has had for months and have not chews them as much as this.

He jkust had his third dose of gas meds and ben bac so 8 hours tell the next set

Dillan has had a little smushy pooh, but it was because I was adding veggies to her diet. My guess is he just ate to much wicker.

Is the wicker forsure untreated? I got a grapevine thing some months back for the buns. I emailed the makers before giving it to make sure it was not treated. They said they use pestisides on the plants as they grow so in their opinion they would not suggest risking giving it to the buns. So I gave it to my mom and Chiron, dog, has chewed it up. Must not be to toxic :/

I am not sure I got it from kieth who bought them off a lady that makes them.

He runs my favorite pet shop.

I just threw it away. It fine I will find something else he likes.

I just wanted to add storm does not get vegys they seem to upset his tummy even more then just pellet and different kinds of hay. But he does get about 6 different types of hay

Dillan gets Manno Pro SHO pellets mixed with corn, oats and barley a little green leaf lettues and whatever hay papaw has for the horses. I would love to buy diffrent types of hay but around here I do not know that they grow much of anything but grass/alfalfa. Nor do I know how to get it :p

Luckily with just one bunny I am able to buy ox bow from kieth and it not break the bank I spend about 50 bucks every three months on hay.

He seem to be ok right now but its his normal sleep time anyway

It could be a mechanical disruption from the wicker is causing a slowdown, or maybe the wicker made it into his cecum, and that upset the bacteria there because it's different and they don't know what to do with it. I would guess that the second is more likely. Unfortunately, I guess Storm eats too much wicker to get wicker toys. It's ok if they chew on them and eat a little, but eating a lot can be bad. I'm glad there are no parasites, although that would have been an easier answer. I hope he gets better soon...

I think (unsolicited advice) that the corn, oats, and barley are causing Dillan's funny poos. Corn is bad for rabbits because they can't digest the hulls and they get stuck in there--very bad. The others are too high in carbs for the cecum's bacteria to be happy.

So Storm seem to be responding. Je ios coming around and acting almost him self tonight pooh still small but it will take a while to come around I wanted to update before I went to bed.

Thanks I will update in the morning

I get plain wicker baskets from Walmart and Willow will work on that basket until she has totally and completely destroyed it and ripped it down to pieces.

The difference is that she doesn't eat any of it but leaves a big mess daily for me to clean up ( better than treating her for a medical problems from it)

Well he seems to be coming around out of his cage today playing with phoenix. He ate hay last night poohs still small but getting bigger.

Could we put resolved on here if anything comes up I will just make a new post but I dont think it will

Latest posts

Back