I think my Daisy has mites

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaisyNBuster

Reaction score
Home of the white rabbits, , United Kingdom
Went to check Daisy this morning and I think shemay have mites. She has lost fur from the bottom of her nose - Sheisn't scratching or anything and I have thoroughly checked her over andcannot find anything - Can you always see mites? I have heard they buryunder the skin. I'm bothered about the babiesbacause if shehas them chances are they have too. Could they be treated at 7 weeks?Is there anything else that you can think of that could cause the hairloss? I was going to take her to the vets next week anywayjust for a check up to make sure she is back to normal after weeningthe babies. Your thoughts on this would be appreciated!

Vickie

Mites are microscopic and cannot beseen. Causes of fur loss on the nose can be attributed to anumber of causes including fugal, bacterial, viral, or simply rubbingon the cage.

If the fur loss is right under the nose, the cause is usually fromdischarge around the nasal area.

Pam

Thanks Pam - I actually miss tryped that -Thehair loss is just above her nose, but below her eyes. It's not reallybad, however still noticable. When you said 'fugal, bacterialorviral,' is there any other symptoms I should be looking outfor? It maybe just rubbing on her hutch. I don't want to leave it toolong though. I'll give her a couple of days, as I saidbefore,I was going to take her on Friday anyway for a checkup.

Vickie

Hey,

Irecently noticed that Pandemonium had mites--or at least,that bald patch you're describing, only hers was right below the crown.I dusted her with kitty flea powder and noticed today (only a few dayslater) that the hair is growing back in nicely.

But I know there's a warning on the powder saying it's not for babies. Can you separate her for awhile? If they are 7 wks old?

Rose

Opps, now I made a typo -- I meant"fungal". Above the nose may be due to rubbing or anormalmolt. The vet can take a look and see if afungal culture is necessary.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Opps, now I made a typo -- I meant "fungal". Abovethe nose may be due to rubbing or a normalmolt. Thevet can take a look and see if a fungal culture is necessary.

Pam

Yeah pam, a fugalcondition is what Bach had.....hehehehehe

Pay me no mind, :p....I got my bachelor's degree in music, and spent awhole semester on Bach fugal/contrapuntal techniques--these randomthings pop into my little head when I've spenttoo muchtimeplaying, writing, andrewritingmusic.....;)I'm going to bed now, really!

anyway, seriously, I also thought of something: Izzy's nose has apermanent red ridge with sparse hair where she rubs it every daychewing on the cage wire. Could that be what you're seeing on your bun?Pam's comment made me think of that.

goodnight all,

Rose

Rose and Pam- You are probably right -This morning it seems to be growing back now. Maybe she was justrubbing her nose between the wires.I have actually seen herdoing this actually. She seems to want to be out more lately and Ithink she does it to get attention :)

VIckie

Back