I think my bunny might be sick? Or just antisocial..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meganxphillips5150

Reaction score
I just got my bunny- from the Pet store here in Pueblo- 2 or 3 days ago. The first day- he was very skittish- he would let you hold him- but he was shaking. So, we left him alone- to get used to us.

Well tonight- he ran around in our room for a bit- was jumping kind of funny- I've heard it called a "binky" now. He was very excited.

Now, I held him for a bit- then he wanted back in his cage. He's kind of hunched in the corner of his cage- & he throws his bedding out- so he just lays on the cold bottom of the cage. Seems odd to me.

And- he dumps his food over- so I can't tell if he's eating or not- he's dropping stool- & he's eating carrots- but I don't know if he is eating his bunny food or not.

How do I tell if my bunny is eating?

Is it normal for him to want to lay on the bottom of the cage without bedding?

Is he sick- why does he not want to be held?

My bun always likes sitting on the bottom of the cage. I don't know why, but I figure if that's what he wants to do it's fine with me. My cage has a food bowl that attaches to the cage so the bunny can't tip it. Be patient and give him time to adjust to his new surroundings.

Do you know how old your bunny is? Does he still look like a baby? If so, (Which I'm assuming, since he came from a pet store, but I could be wrong) he shouldn't be getting carrots yet. They should be around 12 weeks before you start slowly introducing veggies to them.

Do you have a supply of Hay in there for him? Alfalfa should be given till they are around 7 monthes then it should be switched to Timothy, which they should have access to all the time.

I would cut out the carrots and any other veggies you've been giving him for a while and keep track of what he's eating from his pellets (And if you haven't already, get him some hay).

Laying on the bottom of the cage without bedding is pretty normal, a lot of mine do that, I think it is cooler there so it's a bit easier for them when it's warm. That, or it's just the bunnies preference.

I don't think he's sick (Considering he was binkying. I have never heard of a bunny that is ill binkying) he's just skittish and you just need to work with him slowly. There are plenty of buns who just don't like to be held, so you have to take it slow.

no your rabbit sounds completely normal :) , i dont put any bedding on the bottom of my rabbits cage, just a bed :) also, my girl LOVES to tip her water bowl all over the carpet ! i had to buy a ceramic bowl (its to heavy for her to tip it over) . goodluck with your new rabbit :)

Latest posts

Back