I think it's a bit of a break through..i am very happy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LionheadOwner

Reaction score
So i ended up renaming my lionhead buck to Rocco. Well today he had let me pet him without quickly dashing into his hutch :D to me it's an awesome break through since he is very scared still being in a new home and anytime i put my hand into his cage to pet him he wouldn't let me until today i was able to pet him for a minute. So as a treat for him he get's to run around my room for a couple of minutes. I am not sure if this is normal or if he is just happy he run's around and look's like he is going to hit his head on my wall but at the last minute he uses his feet to push off the wall. Does that mean he is just happy to be out of the cage? It's almost like he has had to much sugar or cat nip if you've seen kids or cat's on either of those he's got bunny zoomies.

That means he is super happy!

Bunnies need lots of fun time to bounce around the walls, just like that. If you get him an exercise pen, and let him out to play as much as possible, he will be soooo happy (like what you just saw)

We call that move "binky". They bounce around like crazy, and dance :)

Thank goodness i thought i had done something wrong.

I was thinking about getting him a rabbit pen to run around in since right now he is running in my room, the hallway and the bathroom.

He look's like he is having alot of fun doing that. He has also been getting in my tv stand and has been playing around with my 8 month old female cat but scares the heck out of my 5 year old cat which is quite funny since he's a big boy at 14 pounds.

Yea!!
It will still take time for him to trust you, but you are on the right track.

I find that using a pen or run only works for a while, especially if it is not very tall. I used a pen for Penny until she started jumping over to explore some more (it was only 14 inches tall). I now just block off the areas I don't want the buns to go.
If you get one that is high erough, it may not be an issue.

My dogs are somewhat afraid of the buns. If they are outside and the buns are near the door, they won't come in. They will also give the buns lots of space and pretty much ignore them. The buns also more or less ignore the dogs.

I think I remeber seeing Rocco on a breeders website (I check sometimes). I can't remember which one though, as I have 3 bookmarked. He is very cute though :).

If you do need anything to do with bunnies, feel free to PM me anytime.

I am just very glad that i am on the right track to getting him use to me.

I am not even sure where i can get a excercise pen for rocco since i have checked out petcetra but it seem's like they never have anything i want in stock. He does seem like he can jump very high since he has quite the reach when he's standing on his back leg's so will have to get him for that's more then 14 inches tall so i think i will get him a nice pen and see how that work's for christmas.

I have introduced rocco to my dog harley since he's a min pin he's got the prey drive so hopefully everything will go over well when and if i ever introduce them. That is the only thing i am scared about and letting him outside during the summer since we live in a condo and our neighbour has a huge english bulldog and i am not sure how she would do with a small rabbit since she play's bowling my small dog over whenever they play.

He is from long ears rabbitry in airdrie on the for sale page. I will have to update and get some pictures of what he look's like now. Thank you yeah i love him to bit's.

thanks i will do that when i ever have any questions.

Prsonally, I rarely shop at Petcetra. I pefer Paws Pet Food and Accessories, and Chewsy Pets. Neiter sells animals and have good selection and good prices. Chewsy Pets has great bunny stuff. If you want more info on these stores, let me know.
Many people on here use NIC grids or cages, but they are also be used for pens and gates. You can get them at Zellers, London Drugs, Superstore, Candian Tire, Walmart and Home Depot. They cost about $20 for 13-17 panles. There are some topics in the PhotoPhiles part of the forum, under NIC cages. Just putting out another option. They do go on sale form time to time. Check websites like craigslist or kijiji to see if anyone is selling a pen, maybe post an add. It may be used, but is cheaper and will still work.
Putting him outside in a pen is a good idea. As you have a dog issue, you should supervise him when he is out. I have had a cat problem, so my buns are in a completely enclosed area and in sight of the couch (they are on the deck).

I'm glad your bunbun is settling in. Bunny's first binky is always fun to watch. My baby buns had their's and it was a blast to watch five little cotton balls do a little dance!

I try not to use petcetra only when i really need to since it is the place that i live closest too and wal-mart rarely has the thing's i need for my pet's. Never heard of either of those place's what area of the city are they in? I only know of petcetra, petsmart and pet planet. I would love to know more about those place's i will have to pm you and find out. I will have to check out some of those stores and see if they have them and if not then i will have to check usedcalgary, kijiji and craigslist since i know some of those classifieds have them but it's always hard with how many ad's going up during the day. I was thinking of getting him a hutch as well for outside and make sure they tie up their dog when rocco is out since i also have a neighbour that always let's their cat out as well and it get's into my yard.

That's Great! Progress at last. Just stick with it and he'll become your best little buddy.

I have a large pen that i got off ebay for 40$. The big ones are expensive. We also use baby gates to block off doorways.

The more "out time" you give your bunny the more he'll love you, so if you can bunny proof your room and litter train him you won't even need a pen.

Keep us updated. :rabbithop

It's worth it i have seen to many people give up on a animal just because they weren't the friendlist animal and didn't like to be touched.

That's a good idea about ebay i never really thought about that. Is ebay pretty good i have never used before so i would be worried that it would get damaged.

I have started to bun proof my room but i am always watching him specially since my computer is in my room that is the last thing i need is to rush him to my vet. I have been letting him out alot more right now he hopping around like a crazy bun. When i got him he was already litter trained so that make's it even better and hasn't even pooped in my room but only in his cage so he's a great little guy.

I will i've taken pictures already but i have an ancient computer so thank goodness i am going to my parent's tomorrow and can download pictures.

You can find a lot of stuff discounted on ebay, but first you have to set up a paypal account. You'll need a credit card or at least a bank account. I'm not sure how old you are, so perhaps your parents could help you if you decide to do it. Also, shipping may be a bit more since you're in Canada. There are some sellers in Canada though.

I also order my hay online since they don't carry much oxbow selection in my area. I get it from national pet pharmacy. They have good prices, decent shipping, and a good selection. http://www.nationalpetpharmacy.com/store/PetProducts.asp?mscssid=TN1P1VS3J0NH9KM4HHFRRHTA138R98G5

ok good yeah i do have a bank account which is good. I am still young i am only 22 years old. So then would probably take a bit more time to get shipped to canada then it would in the states.

I just checked out the site quickly and it look's like anicesite they've got a nice pen that would be perfect for the summertime and if i don't want him running crazily around my room and a couple of nice cages as well as this small animal patio home that look's awesome.

Latest posts

Back