I think I have to get rid of Trixie :0(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrixieRabbit

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am really upset. On one hand, I am happy because I just found out Iam pregnant. On the other hand, Trixie's cage is HUGE and in the 2ndbedroom, aka: the nursery.

I live in a small condo and there is no where to put her cage! I don'twant to get rid of her, but DH does not want her in the living room ordining room.

Does anyone want her? I just don't trust her with anyone else but arabbit person, and I would feel so much better if someone from herewanted her.
I am not just going to give her away to just anyone, and I have 9months until the baby comes, so there's no huge rush...but I do have tostart making plans....

I am the first person who HATES when someone has to get rid of a pet, but I just don't know what to do.

Please don't flame me, this is a VERY difficuly decision and breaks myheart. I just don't have any options. I thought we would have a houseby now, but DH just got a new job and had to take a pay cut, so we arenowhere near getting a house.

Thanks, guys.

~Denise :(

Congrats on the baby!

It sounds like you just found out. Maybe we can help you finda better solution than rehoming Trixie. You do have sometime, after all. Have you talked to your hubby about howimportant she is to you? And about the possibility of keepingher in a different part of your house? Maybe in your bedroom,or she could even be free-roaming in a bunnyproofed bathroom, kitchen,or hallway. I've seen a lot of people that have done that.

Just take a deep breath and take some time. Consider all youroptions. Could you make her a smaller cage? There'snothing wrong with a smaller cage if she gets lots of exercise and itmeans that she can stay.

Congratulations about the baby!

You said it yourself, you have 9 months. My advice would be to take abit of time and let it all sink in and then weigh your options aboutwhat you can do with Trixie. Take a good look around your condo andthink of other places you might be able to put a smaller cage for her.Try talking to your husband about how much you really love Trixie andask him to help you find a suitable place in the condo that he agreeswith. After all, he only ruled out the living room and dining room. I'dhate to see you have to give that precious lil girl up.

Aww...congratulations!!! What an exciting time!!!

My sympathies as well on the amount of space (or lack thereof) that youhave to work with. We've squeezed both buns' cages in thelivingroom, and we've loved being distracted from daily happenings bywhat they're doing...it's so fun to have our friends over, and have usall get distracted by bunny play. :)

Just take your time in your decision...you don't have to do anythingjust yet. You have time, despite what it feelslike. Try to remember that a lot happens in nine months, andyou have nine months to work with your husband to come up with asolution. Just give it a week or two before you start talkingtogether about it. :)

We love you, Hun, and would NEVER flame you for making a tough decisionlike this, don't worry. We all know how you feel, and arehere for you! Let us know if you need any help. :)

In the meantime, take some time apart from thinking about this, and letyourself and your husband and Trixie CELEBRATE!!You have an itty bitty person coming into the world...and that'sWONDERFUL!!! :D Sounds like a great time to makebunny cookies, if I ever heard of one!! :)

Take some time to relax and adjust to the news, and then work on thingsfrom there. Making a big decision at a time like this isnever a good idea. Nine months is a LONG time, believeme...you guys will be able to figure out a perfect solution by then,trust me! :)

And, in the end, if you guys decide that rehoming your Trixie is thebest solution, then don't worry, you'll be well-respected and stillvery much loved here...not to mention the fact that you'll still bepart of the RO Family, and will still be very welcome here!In fact, we'd miss you if you DIDN'T keep coming here! (Hey,we love baby pictures, too!) :) I'm sure I speakfor everyone when I say that I'd rather hear that you made the rightdecision for your guys' situation, then hear that you're trying to makea difficult situation work, and stressing you two out even more in yournew lifestyle. I can see things working both ways, andhonestly whatever you two think is best is what we'llrespect. :)

We love you, Sweetie!! Congratulations on your Itty Bitty!!! :D

Congratulations! My only suggestion (other thanreiterating what others have said) is that one option might be anX-pen. My Nibbles has one attached to her NIC condo, and that's whereshe lives. She does get free run time outside (supervised), but she'salso happy in her "area" and often doesn't even want to come outside ofit to play. (She'd rather have me visit her inside.)

I initially set up the X-pen as a compromise, since I wanted her to beable to have free run in a bunny-proofed room, but the initial freedom- combined with not knowing me and being wary - was frustrating for me,and too much for her. (I spent ages trying to catch her to get her backinto her condo - for her own safety - when i went to bed or went out...)

A lot of bunnies live happily in X-pens, or X-pen/condo setups like mine.

I'm betting you can figure out a good compromise, and - as everyoneelse has said - you've got some time. I'm sure it all feelsoverwhelming right now, but my hunch is that you'll be able to worksomething out.

all the best to you, your husband, and - of course - Trixie!

Thanks to all of you amazing people for takingthe time to write such honest, sincere replies. I sincerely appreciateyour understanding of my situation.
I am NOT giving my precious girl away and I have 9 months to work on itwith DH, so maybe by then we can work out a solution. I think thesmaller cage might work, and I will just take down her bunny mansionuntil we get a bigger house.
I guess I just felt so overwhlemed, since EVERYONE I told asked me whatI was gonna do with Trixie and is saying I won't have time or room forher with a new baby. I just wish people understood that she IS A MEMBEROF MY FAMILY and giving her away is not an option.
I think today has just been an emotional rollercaoster for me and I was feeling overwhelmed.
Along with the good newsthat I am pregnant (found out today),I also found out that my dear uncle passed away this morning fromcomplications from cancer surgery. He got pneumonia and a fever whichcaused him to go into a coma and after a month-long struggle, he isgone. So finding out he died, only to find out an hour later that I ampregnant was such a bittersweet moment.

Thank you all so much for all your kind words and understanding.
I love you guys, too...and I really wish there was a way I could PHYSICALLY hug each and every one of you!
For now, virtual hugs will have to suffice. So:
lotsof:hug:and :kiss:to all my bunny peeps!

LOve,
Denise and Trixie

TrixieRabbit wrote:
I guess I just felt so overwhlemed, since EVERYONE I toldasked me what I was gonna do with Trixie and is saying I won't havetime or room for her with a new baby. I just wish people understoodthat she IS A MEMBER OF MY FAMILY and giving her away is not anoption.
Congratulations! I agree, that's like findingout someone is pregnant with their secong child, and then asking whatthey're going to do with their first. Once again,congratulations and lots of luck.

Well after witnessing this for myself, (mysister just had a baby in December) I can tell you that if your baby isanything like Cole, you will have lots of time with Trixie. He slept alot so my sister spend most of her time cleaning. Now she has her handsfull but she also has another baby due this Decemeber! Two kids thatwill be no more than a year after is a handful but if people can managethings like that, you can manage a baby and Trixie. :)

Oh, and congratulations.

P.S.- We all know you had Trixie's best interest at heart when youthought about giving her away but I'm glad you are keeping her for now.

CongratsDenise!:stork:

Im so glad that you will be doing everything you can to keepTrixie...she is such a special little girl and we know how much youlove her.

Please keep us posted and just take it one day at a time. Im so sorryto hear about your uncle..you've had a lot to deal with in just a shorttime.

Lots of Love :kiss:

Haley and the boys:rabbithop:dutch :bunny19

Cupboards are good for conversions - understairs ones work well - even nornal ones. You can put a shelf acrossthe middle and still get to use the top half as a cupboard then meshthe bottom door and you have a build in cage :)

Tam

That's a PERFECT comparison...that's how I feltwhen I was reading this. If I got pregnant again, I wouldn'tbe able to give up my babies. Yes, babies take a lot of time,but that doesn't mean you'll have NO time for Trixie. Shemight have to cope with having less, yes, but not a total lack in theleast. You love her too much for her to beforgotten! :)

Again, we're here for you and love you guys lots! :)

My condolences about your uncle...that's so hard, and then to find outso shortly after that you're pregnant. I can imagine that itwould be bittersweet, and a bit of joy in the situation, yes, butprobably added to your already-there anxiety about things ingeneral.

Don't bother listening to all the nay-sayers, Sweetie...your RO Family is here for you 100%!!! :D

missyscovewrote:
Congratulations! I agree,that's like finding out someone is pregnant with their secong child,and then asking what they're going to do with their first.Once again, congratulations and lots of luck.

Yeah lots of good replyies here! And congratz! :D

He should let you keep your bunny where you want her! After all he is responsible for this little life ;)

What does DH stand for? I know its your hubbie but what does it actually stand for?

The only thing I can think of is 'Daft Husband'! Like my ex - B/F = Bloody Fool :D

tamsin wrote:
Cupboards are good for conversions - under stairs ones workwell - even nornal ones. You can put a shelf across the middle andstill get to use the top half as a cupboard then mesh the bottom doorand you have a build in cage :)

Tam

CUPBOARDS IS AN AWESOME IDEA!!! I live in a pretty smallapartment and my buns cage takes up a large part of mykitchen. I have a big cupboard that has my pots and pans init and it is probably bigger than the cage!! I would have to find a newplace for my pots and pans butyou have inspiredme..... THANKS!

Congrats on the new baby as well!!

Michelle

Back