I think Beelzebunny has a respiratory infection

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheyrul

Reaction score
or snuffles.

She is about a year old, had 9 babies on Jan. 14. one was stillborn. Early this morning I notice she had not eaten all her pellets but had cilantro, grape tomatoes, spinach, celery and some carrot. The dog will snitch her carrot so maybe she did not eat it. I added fresh timonthy hay, water and veggies. She also seemed to snort or cough every now and again but usually it was when she was hopping away from the babies.
This afternoon she seems to be hiding more, not eating much at all, still pooping and I think urinating (probably under my bed:X). She is coughing or snorting more frequently and looks like she is breathing hard.

I have a call into a friend who manages a vet to see if his brother (the vet) can help us because there is no way I can take her to the E vet.

What can I do to help her now?

Oh, I know very little about bunnies. I am assuming it is snuffles because I read the stickied thread about illnesses.

I gave her favorite lettuce and she ate most of it and had eaten a healthy portion of her pellets. So I feel a wee bit better.
I hope it is just dust, under my bed is pretty dusty. Also she insists on using the cat box, even though she has her own (2 actually) and her cage in the same room as the stupid cat box. I have a cranky 12 y/o cat who will stop using the box if I put anything but clumping litter in it. I did clean it and add fresh litter to the cat box yesterday.

I would watch her carefully although I honestly don't know if you can give an antibiotic to an nursing doe. ?...that is if it is a lower respiratory infection
I will pm someone that will know

angieluv wrote:
I would watch her carefully although I honestly don't know if you can give an antibiotic to an nursing doe. ?...that is if it is a lower respiratory infection
I will pm someone that will know

i had the same happen to my nursing doe and antibiotics were able to be given to her, just not the best for an URTI. ill try to find out what it was because i cant seem to remember where i put it grrr

I consulted a vet and he said the sulfa drugs would be a safe choice. NO Baytril - NO pen.

Pam

There are a number of other possibilities since you don't mention any discharge from the nose. It may be good to try a course of sulfa drugs like Pam said, but if that is completed without improvement, you may want to look for another possible cause than URI.

Our Benjamin has been having recurrent sneezing/coughing that was not treated with several courses of antibiotics. He had additional diagnostics done to rule out other possible causes of sneezing/coughing, including tooth root problems, lower respiratory infection (pneumonia), or other things. A mass near his heart showed up on x-ray and it has been determined that this mass is causing him to wheeze/sneeze/cough. There is no discharge from the nose, just occasional sneezing fits. We are still determining what the mass is (cancer,infection, etc), but it is not uncommon for rabbits to get enlarged thymus glands which put pressure on the heart and lungs leading to subtle symptoms like a sneeze without discharge.

the cough is now very infrequent, she has no discharge from her eyes or nose and is eating good - I need to know how much to feed bunnies cause I am new to this and could possibly (probably)overfeeding them *is there a paranoid smilie here? if so mentally insert in now*
My friend did not get back to me which means the vet is super busy or he did not feel it was an emergency.
I think the male bunny has gotten to her again and she may be pregnant because she has started biting again and being aggressive. The good news is, she is not biting near as hard or as viciously.

Cheyrul wrote:
the cough is now very infrequent, she has no discharge from her eyes or nose and is eating good - I need to know how much to feed bunnies cause I am new to this and could possibly (probably)overfeeding them *is there a paranoid smilie here? if so mentally insert in now*
My friend did not get back to me which means the vet is super busy or he did not feel it was an emergency.
I think the male bunny has gotten to her again and she may be pregnant because she has started biting again and being aggressive. The good news is, she is not biting near as hard or as viciously.

why didnt you separate them?

they were and ARE separated but I have young kids who forget to shut my bedroom door when the male is out of his cage. I am not a 100% sure she is because she stays away from him and she is not near as vicious as she was when definitely was pregnant.
This whole separation thing is very hard, way harder than anticipated.

A baby gate in the doorway of the bedroom may help. We use baby gates in the doors of our two bedrooms to keep the bunnies apart. Ours are all fixed, but the two bonded pairs do not tolerate each other well.

I know I now sound like I am making excuses but ...Beelzebunny is kept upstairs in my room, where our cats are fed. It is also where the second bathroom and cat box is; so a baby gate complicates things for my one huge very ungraceful fat cat and my kids who need to us the bathroom. We tried when puppy training our Hairy last year.

The gates I have one that is wood and plastic and the other is fabric mesh, I would think neither bunny could chew through in they were serious. One is low enough I think they could jump over considering how easily they leap onto beds and sofas.

if you cant keep them separated i'd suggest getting the male fixed immediately. there are far too many unwanted bunnies in the world as it is

I am very aware of that but thanks. I have no idea how much it costs of have a bunny fixed down under but it is about $300+ in my neighborhood. It not something we can afford right now.

Cheyrul wrote:
I know I now sound like I am making excuses but ...Beelzebunny is kept upstairs in my room, where our cats are fed. It is also where the second bathroom and cat box is; so a baby gate complicates things for my one huge very ungraceful fat cat and my kids who need to us the bathroom. We tried when puppy training our Hairy last year.

The gates I have one that is wood and plastic and the other is fabric mesh, I would think neither bunny could chew through in they were serious. One is low enough I think they could jump over considering how easily they leap onto beds and sofas.
that should read;
I would think either bunny could chew through if they were serious.

You know, I am not sure if you mean to or not but you are coming off kind of condescending and I thought this was a non-judgmental type of place.
I am diligent, my extremely busy and bunny loving kids are not. And the simple fact of the matter is; even had I had the male neutered when Beelzebunny had given birth, he could have still or still impregnate her now.

eeep, sorry i'm not trying to be condescending at all!

tone often doesn't come off very well through the internet i've found. apologies about that <3

re: desexing, a lot of shelters and rescues sell "desexing vouchers" which are a fraction of the price that you'd pay in the vet.

in australia it's through an organisation called "dabs" but im not sure about your local animal desexing charity.

i THINK there is something about desexing vouchers in the libraryyyyyy... perhaps its not here, it could be on the house rabbit society website? (www.rabbit.org)

also, coincedently just found the meds we were prescribed for our pregnant doe. it's called "rixeline once a day" and underneath that it says "cephalexin"

not too good with meds but im sure someone smart can decode what that means :p

Latest posts

Back