I spotted an injured rabbit at the pet store today! (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
luvthempigs wrote:
TreasuredFriend wrote:
Or from Zin/Goin' Back to Cali's post in '08 about Tractor Supply Company and the ones that go in dumpsters.
What the???? :shock:
UM, yeah, details? $6 litter or not, I'm not supporting a store that puts animals in dumpsters. They don't sell animals at mine, but still.

That is the kind thing to do for the bunny but does encourage sales at the pet store and lets them off the hook, so to speak. I know it is hard to not 'buy' the buns (especially those whom are sick or injured) but that is also giving the pet store a reason to sell more buns and not holding them accountable for their actions. I firmly believe in holding them accountable and making sure another bun never goes through this again.

Good and bad news

RSPCA called me back to let me know that the little bun is with a vet, which is good news as the bunny needed help, but the bad news is that the rabbit has a nerological illness but isn't in suffering anymore.

I assume that the bun will be put to sleep, but at least he is now in good hands.

Thank you all for your support

Binky Free baby bun xx

Kelly

I'm glad he saw a vet and won't be in pain.

Thanks for the update.

I'm happy that the rabbit received the vet care he deserved. Did the RSPCA seize the rabbit and get it vet care or did the pet store do it themselves? Just wondering who took the responsibility. If it took the RSPCA's presence to get the poor rabbit vet care, well that's just a crying shame.

Don't quote me on this but I think the RSPCA presence in their store gave them the kick up the arse, to get the vet care that he needed, and the RSPCA made sure that it happened, and also followed up what was wrong with the Rabbit.

Thanks for clarifying. :) I'm so thankful the RSPCA stepped in to light a fire under these people's behinds to get this rabbit cared for. I hope the RSPCA will keep an eye on this pet store.

I'm glad the bunny got the treatment it needed, and is no longer suffering.

I am also glad you reported the store. It is a shame that it took the RSPCA getting involved to get the store to do the right thing, but kudos to you, Kelly, for making sure this little bunny didn't suffer more than necessary.

Poor bunny. I'm glad that it finally got to see a vet, even though the outcome is sad :(

You did well standing up for it. The little bunny might have suffered even more if it wasn't for you.

:hug:

I really hope that pet shop learnt it's lesson and wont put any more bunnies through needless suffering again. :(

Baby Juliet wrote:
The right thing to do was to buy the poor thing and take it to the vet.

I am guilty of doing that for a guinea pig. The poor thing had a severe mite and fungal infection. She was actually fitting in the store cage. I walked around the store for a long time thinking about what to do and I talked with employees who told me that they bathed her but that was all they could do. I just couldn't leave the store without her....The manager sold her to me for cost and I took her and got the treatment she needed. She still has a home with me today :)

I'm glad to hear the bunny got the medical attention he/she needed. Too bad she couldn't be saved.

Baby Juliet wrote:
The right thing to do was to buy the poor thing and take it to the vet.

This is probably the worst thing to do. It gives the store business and the funds, space and incentive to replace the bunny with even more rabbits. And it sends a message that the ill-looking or picked on bunnies will be adopted sooner than the others AND relieve the store of all responsibility and costs of caring for them.

Its REALLY tough, but everybody has to steel themselves to walk away from all those situations to avoid enabling them.

The absolute right thing to do was to complain and call the appropriate animal protection agencies for the area. And in many cases, publicize any abuse to try and get potential customers to boycott the place.

Thank you so much, Kelly, for setting such a great example.
The sooner pet stores stop selling live little beings like they were shoes, the better.

:rip: little bunny. :( Your loss was not in vain -- thanks to Kelly.

sas :tears2:

luvthempigs wrote:
I am guilty of doing that for a guinea pig.

Yeah, it's really hard -- and sometimes impossible -- to leave them to suffer. I don't know that I would have paid anything at all (and I never trust their word at 'cost'), but in an emergency situation like that, I probably would have taken the piggy and then complained like crazy about the store to anyone who would listen.

I don't think 'stores' should 'sell' live animals. However, 'adoption' set-ups would be acceptable. That involves actual applications and approvals, contracts and at least initial education and monitoring, and agreements to take the animals back into care if they for any reason need to be relinquished.

sas :expressionless:

luvthempigs wrote:
TreasuredFriend wrote:
Or from Zin/Goin' Back to Cali's post in '08 about Tractor Supply Company and the ones that go in dumpsters.
What the???? :shock:

For luvthempigs and mardigraskisses: The original thread from Goin'BackToCali - in the first paragraph you'll spot the sentences ... the manager nonchalantly said ...

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=34431&forum_id=1

- I agree wholeheartedly with Pipp's adoption-partnership w/stores. I boycott stores that sell live animals as well. To see flea-market breeders and Seven Mile Fair "cheap disposable give-outs" (here, have a free rabbit) is disturbing to all who care...

Latest posts

Back