I saw red ticks crawling!!! Help!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoji8

Reaction score
I just got a few months old netherland dwarf white rabbit, red eyed, however I noticed that there are red ticks crawling at her fur. Though I tried to comb it away, they are still there. What are these? Ticks or fleas? Should I bring her to the vet for Revolution cream application (behind the neck) or Ivermectin injection?

Will it spread to my other rabbits at home? How to prevent that, they are in seperate cages anyway.

Please suggest the best that you know, thanks!

They could also be mites or fleas.

I would highly recommend a vet visit for diagnosis and treatment.

I would also isolate/quarantine the affected rabbit away from the others.
If they are mites/fleas they can spread, and you may be best off treating all of the rabbits.

This sounds like fleas. I haave seem this in shelter rabbits here.

I am uncertain re the age of your rabbit and would be concerned re. using anti-parasitic drugs on a really young rabbit

exactly how old is your rabbit?

Do you have a rabbit saavy vet , if so it would be best to see the vet.

Revolution is usually the drug of choice as it is easier to dose than ivermectin.
you probably would need to treat all the rabbits that have been together and also disinfect and clean all the bedding, caging etc and surrounding environment.

if it is indeed fleas it is not that difficult to treat.
The dosing for Revolution /selamectin is 6 mg / kg ( a kg =2.2lbs)

I know how to order this drug online without a script but firstI suggest that you see the vet if you have one and also clarify the age of the rabbits.

Hmm, the shopa assistant told me it's about 5-7 months old. Should I go for the cream or injection? Yes I think they are red fleas crawling around, awww... will it spread to human hair?

Fleas will spread over your entire house if you dont get rid of them fast. Revolution for ALL your pets, wash any blankets that they have come in contact with, vacuum your house like theres no tomorrow, clean clean clean! basically everything angieluv said, lol

Yes, wash all the bedding and cushion covers etc. on a high heat to kill all the eggs and living fleas. Vacuum everywhere thoroughly like mentioned before, and maybe even you can buy some flea egg killing shampoo for the carpet??

Jen

Latest posts

Back