I need to vent...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sealy

Reaction score
I normally don't air my dirty laundry in public but I feel the need of support of people who loves their pets as much as I do.

A little history:
I've been dating this guy off and on for about 2 1/2 yrs ( he lives out of state). I do care a great deal about him but he has now put me in an ugly predicament.
Last year, we were engaged and he broke it off about 2 weeks before the wedding. So now, a year later, we have been trying to rekindle.
At that time I had my 3 dogs ( the Cocker Spaniel, and both Great Danes). We lived seperately then so it wasn't a major issue, even though we discussed having them all when we finally moved in together....he was fine with it. He loved the dogs.
Since we have broken up, my younger Dane is living with a friend of mine with a larger , fenced in yard ( I am still co-owner though and still work with her on her obedience training) and I now have my mother's bunny ( Bonny) and have aquired 6 more ( more than likely to fill the void of not having much family... son is grown,married and living out of state; daughters live out of state w/ their dad).
My pets are my focus, my life, ....my 'children'. The Buns are what helped me work through the break up...and still do. If I feel sad, I just go hug a bunny :)
We have been talking again...dating I guess you could say, still long distance and he has planned to come here on his vacation and keep moving forward in the relationship.
However, he made the statement that he is now at a point in his life where if he wants to pick up and go, ( I can understand this since I have gotten older and no children at home) he can do so without having to worry about making arrangements for pets... having no responsibility. I asked him then, how does he feel about me having all of my pets. He said he wasn't crazy about so many but he was ok with it. Well, he made the statement again in a later conversation and I told him it worried me that he kept saying this , that maybe he wasn't really ok with my pets.
That's when the truth came out. He said no, he really isn't ok with me having 900 different animals ( me- eye roll) . That he loved Simon ( the Cocker) and was ok with just him. So I tried to make him say clearly what it was exactly he was trying to say... that in order for us to get more involved, that I would have to have no other pets than Simon? He said to read between the lines but he wouldn't come right out and say ' yes, you have to get rid of everything else' because he didn't want to hurt my feelings :?
I told him my pets and I are a package deal. Period. From past conversations and I emphasised again how I am when it comes to pets and responsible pet ownership and that if it really came down to choosing between him and my pets, I would choose my pets. I have always been and still am very clear about this.
To me, someone who makes you choose between them and a pet is also going to make you choose between them and friends, family or whatever else they may feel is a threat to them.
He says we'll just keep talking and dating and see how it goes. I don;'t know if he thinks that I will change my mind or not, but I won't, under any circumstances and really, he should know this about me. And if he gives in and makes the choice to accept them, I'm afraid it will be a bone of contention and he will resent me and them.
So I dunno. I feel angry and sad over the whole thing and part of me wants to keep going and see how it goes and part of me says to stop it all now, and save myself some even worse heartache later down the road, as I know this would be the healthiest thing to do. Meh.

Anyways, thanks for letting me vent it all out :)

~Sealy

Sorry to hear you're in this spot. I do think, someone who makes you choose between them and your pets is NOT someone you should be wasting your time with, IMO. If it were me, that alone would have me telling him sorry, we're not meant to be, hope you enjoy the rest of your life... My pets are my family, and that is it, period, nothing to negotiate... There's other fish in the sea!

*hugs*

Jessi

oh gosh i am so sorry that you are going through this.

It will be hard to keepgoing on with a relationship (more then a friend relationship) if you two feel so opposite. If he feels that he isnt the type of person that can accept all of you, which includes your fur babies, then i dont think that with time he will change his mind and then there will always be that strain on you guys. He doesnt know what he is missing out on , hislady lovin him and all those fur babies lovin him :biggrin2:and kissing him.lol

Thanks for the support y'all and I 150% agree with you. In my mind and heart I already knew the desicion... to move on. The more I hear the ultimatum played in my memory the madder I get. I suppose I didn't want to admit the desicion out loud, even written because it make it so final and the grieving process becomes clear.
I will have to go through that process anyway so why not do it now and get it over with ? ;) I just have been trying to put it off, bt it's crunch time and can't be put off any longer.

My animals bring me 1000% more joy than he ever did or could in the future. And quite honestly, I don't want to be with someone who doesn't have the same interests as I. I would really like to start showing rabbits in the future and I if I decide to date again, it would have to be with someone who is interested in that or at least is supportive of me doing it.
I don't mind being single either, it has it's advantages. There are far worse things in life than being the Old Crazy Bunny Lady!

Thanks again :)

~Sealy

I hope the next man that comes along isn't afraid to hug a bunny and call it "mine" ;).

hehehe.

Great idea about Men with Buns! What Jessi said sums up what I feel too. People who issue ultimatums never stop issuing them if there is something to takes away the attention from them.

I think you made a wise and healthy decision. Do you remember the saying from the 1970's? A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle.

:) Yeah I think when someone wants to be with you they need to take you as you are and want to be with you as you come... and if the buns and your pets area big part of your life, then either he has to take it or leave it - should ask you to change that if it is such a big and important part of your life.

And that being said - still have to weight out the pros and cons. Maybe he's worth it.

:dunno

:hug1

:great:
I think some things can be worked around, but not everything. If he's taking such a hard stance and he knows how much your fur babies mean to you, then you might never have a good, comfortable relationship. Unless he has some other redeeming qualities (and the way you talk about him it doesn't seem likely), it's best to not waste your time.

But if you're interested, I think Mambo is single. And I know he loves his bunnies!:D

seniorcats wrote:
Do you remember the saying from the 1970's? A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle.

Sealy wrote:
My animals bring me 1000% more joy than he ever did or could in the future. And quite honestly, I don't want to be with someone who doesn't have the same interests as I.
Sealy, I think there have to be some great animal-loving men out there who would LOVE to spend time with you. I've always thought that if you do what you like (job, hobbies, etc.) and are true to yourself you will be happiest. And what better way to meet your soul-mate than while doing the thing you (and he) love?
I would really like to start showing rabbits in the future and I if I decide to date again, it would have to be with someone who is interested in that or at least is supportive of me doing it.
Maybe a rabbit show willbe where you end up meeting a wonderful guy! :bunnyhug:
I don't mind being single either, it has it's advantages. There are far worse things in life than being the Old Crazy Bunny Lady!
You've got that right! Be true to you...and if that brings along Mr. Right then HOORAY...if not...then you are happy. Another person can never be our source of happiness and contentment...that is something we have to find from within. If you like you (which includes LOVING your animals) then no man could make you feel complete if he doesn't let you be who you are.
I could really understand his concerns if the issue for him were something like severe animal allergies. But, WHY doesn't he want you to have more than 1 pet? You deserve someone who will love you for who you are...animals and all. Sorry you're going through this. Hope things work out for the best and that you make the ultimate decision that right for you. We are all here for you whatever you decide!:grouphug -Mary Ellen

Thanks so much y'all. See? Y'all's support is exactly what I needed.. each and everyone of you for your own wonderful uniqueness.
I hate to put humans into a polarized catagory, but either you are a realanimal lover or you're not. A real animal lover will consider their pet an important part of their family, even if they live outside. They will go the extra mile to make sure that animal is taken care of, even if at times you have to put off your own needs. Some go an extra 10, some just the one, but both are real animal lovers ( IMO)
So when you ask for support from the (dare I say- UNreal) ones, one gets the is he worth is because of all the other personality stuf, but I have often heard.." I wouldn't let an animal come between me and a person/relationship etc). They just really don't understand. They think that if one is attached to an animal like that, you are mentally off. Well, if that's the case, then wooo hoo me! I'll be a card carrying member. ;)
So, even if they have a pet, more times than not, they are the ones that end up in the shelters or neglected/abused etc at home. And to me, how a person treats animals, and especially their own, gives me a deep glimpse into what kind of character that person has. Doesn't mean they have to go that 10 miles extra. Doesn't mean they have to be a perfect pet owner.Doesn't mean they have to treat their pets or feel about them the exact way I do mine.
So when I think about this and the said guy, and rolled up with alot of other things I didn't mention, that's just a 'deal breaker- walk away from you and don't look back' situation.
Also, for the future, I don't expect someone to have all the interests as I. But at least accept and respect and be supportive of mine, in turn I will do the same. And my pets, whether I do end up showing or not, will always be high on my priority list.
This type of situation happens more than we realize. I've lknown people who did give up their pets for someone. Later, they were given the ultimatum to give up friends and them family until they were isolated and miserable. Then the person they gave up whatever for, decides they don't want the relationship anymore. It;s sad really, and we could easily turn this into a deep Psychological discussion, but I'llspare y'all :p
Mary Ellen: As far as him wanting me to only have one pet, He said he doesn't want the responsibility. To be able to pick up and go whenever without having to deal with making arrangements etc. When I go on vacation, I usually take my dogs. At least take Simon. The Danes I have taken before with me and boarded them in a kennel near the hotel I was staying in. That way I could be close in case something happened. I also have be known to take them lots of places.. running errands, visiting friends, etc. I don't always take them, but if I don't alot of focus is put on making sure everything is set up to my satisfaction before I leave, and I call and check on them often.
I believe this guy when he says he doesn't want that type of 'burden' as he calls it. I also believe it is a jealousy thing with him. He once asked me that if he was in a car crash and in the hospital, would I not come to him and stay home with the dogs ( this was before the Buns). I told him of course I would come be with him, but I would certainly have to make arrangements for the dogs.He was very unhappy with this response. I am assuming here, but what I think is he knows how important my pets are to me and feels threatened that I will choose them over him. What he doesn't realize is, give me an ultimatum and his fear is fufilled.

NT:
But if you're interested, I think Mambo is single

*ear perk* LOL I just had to really chuckle.. you little match maker you :p

Seriously, if someone comes along in the future, wonderful! If not, I'm ok with that too. I'll just keep hugging my bunnies and dawgs ;)

Thanks again so much y'all. You were the Craisin I needed ;)
( and sorry I got long winded again!)

Hugs,
~Sealy

Sealy wrote:
Also, for the future, I don't expect someone to have all the interests as I. But at least accept and respect and be supportive of mine, in turn I will do the same. And my pets, whether I do end up showing or not, will always be high on my priority list.
Sealy,

I know just what you mean. My husband is a sports lover...I am an animal lover. We both embrace the other's love. He helps to care for our animals (has even brought a few home) and he never complains about how much I spend on them. We almost always have a cat or rabbit with us when we travel due to age or illness. (We had to take a rabbit with us to his dad's funeral :?!) He lets me add "animal stops" (zoos, aviaries, etc.) to all our trips and enjoys them with me. In turn, I go to sporting events of all sorts and willingly make stops to see sports arenas just so say we were there.

So, hooray for you for taking the steps you need to to be true to yourself! :balloons:

-Mary Ellen

Bunnicula wrote:
In turn, I go to sporting events of all sorts and willingly make stops to see sports arenas just so say we were there.

That's the way I believe it should be. That type of relationship is priceless and what most everyone seeks. Hoorays go to you! :)

Latest posts

Back