I need to take Chompers to the vet and I'm kinda scared!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanie

Reaction score
Last night I noticed that Chompers seemed to bebreathing loud, I know that's not a good explaination but that's aboutit. He just sounds stuffed up. There is no discharge from his nose andhis eyes look fine, but tonight it's noticably louder, so my husbandand I are going to take him to the vet tomorrow. Just a gut instinct Ihave to take him in.

I'm nervous because I don't know the vets around here (just moved herein the spring away from my normal family vet of 20+ years). I am notsure that we're going to get the care he may need. Also, I've never hada sick rabbit before, not that I think he's very ill or anything, butit seems that once a rabbit gets sick, they can decline rather quickly.That's why instead of waiting to see if it clears up, we're just goingto play it safe and bring himin.

If in the case he needs medicine, what is the norm? I thought I readthat Ammoxacillin can be fatal to rabbits. What sort of questionsshould I ask?

Any advice would really help. Thanks!

Hi Stephanie,

I always think it's wise to trust your instincts first and foremost.

I don't recall how old Chompers is. It's not uncommon for older rabbitsto develop a tumor in the chest. It could be something's up with hisheart, or it could be as simple as him being stressed. Is there anykind of trauma that Chompers has been through in the past 48 hours?Thunder? Lightening? Any stress? Is he breathing with his mouth open?

If you can take his temperature, it would be helpful for the vet toknow. Hate to tell you, but rectal is the best reading, but you canalso use a digital thermometer on his ears.

I would get a fan and circulate it on and near him. If he's having ahard time breathing, more oxygen or air hopefully will help relieve hima bit. You might even give him some pineapple juice or dried papaya incase it's a fur ball getting in his way.

You can ask the vet how many rabbits they treat. How long they've beenin business. Ask things that you know and see how he/she does with theanswers. A normal checkup would be to check the rabbit's temperature,weight, heart, ears, eyes, back, legs, teeth, gums. I'd have him feelfor tumors, listen to the lungs, check for hairballs.

You've got a good instincts, Stephanie, trust them. If something inside tells you yay or nay, listen to it.

Do keep us posted. I'll pray for you and Chompers. At this point, afan, perhaps something to aid a furball to pass through, and calminghim down would be the advice I would give for tonight.

-Carolyn

Thanks for responding Carolyn.

He's around three and a half (he was a rescue and I'm not sure of his exact age) to answer your question.

As far as stress, nothing that I can think of. He had been getting intothe cat food, but I can't see how that would affect his breathing. Thecat food has been moved to an area where the rabbits don't have access.

I'm going to put a fan in front of him. He seems relaxed right now, andis eating and drinking fine, but I'm still worried. I'm trying not tothink of the worst, but still....you're not suppoesd to hear thembreathing like that!

Dear Stephanie,

I know how panicky you get. When I detect the slighest thing wrong withone of my babies, I'm the first one in tears and unable to think.

Keep the fan on low and circulating so that it's not a bother to him.

I'm going to think positively and keep Chompers in my thoughts and prayers. He's our baby boy.

-Carolyn

Hi Stephanie,

Do you have a vaporizer you can put some Vick's in? This willhelp give some breathing relief until you get to the vettomorrow. Rhinitis isn't unusual as rabbits age, and the vetwill be able to listen to his lungs to rule out a more seriousinfection that might require antibiotics. Blood tests couldhelp narrow down a pathogen if the vet feels that it's a bacterialinfection. The antibiotic used would depend on the pathogen,although Baytril is commonly prescribed.

As long as Chompers doesn't appear to be having difficulty breathing, the situation is most likely *not* serious.

I think Carolyn covered the most important points very well. Please let us know how the visit with the vet goes!

Pam

Now he's sneezing. :(

I have an appointment today at four o'clock. I'm sure it's nothingserious, but I'm glad that he's going in instead of me waiting to seeif it clears up.

I'll let you all know when I get back.

With the recent weather changes, it's not unusualto see symptoms of rhinitis in the rabbits. It's best to getthem in ASAP to get it taken care of. You'll find that inmost of the cases, it is *not* a serious Pasteurella infection.

Pam

Yes, I thought of the weather changes, Pam. He did just start molting (as I'm sure a lot of us are noticing.)

I am afraid of the dreaded P-word, so I am thinking that asking for ablood test wouldn't hurt anything. He and Abby share a cage and arevery bonded, cudding togther all the time and washing each other. Idon't want her to catch whatever he may have, if it's anything.

She does sneeze now and then, but not constant and not even daily. I'mnot worried as I don't hear any congestion. We are moving next Thursdayto Ottawa and are going to get her spayed shortly after, probably aweek or so after we move.

Hi Stephanie,

Sneezing can happen as a result of dust getting up in their nose,allergies, or just a tickle. If it's not every day andthere's no discharge, try not to get too upset quite yet.Watch for discharge. Glad to hear the conjestion is better,but I do think it's wise to get a blood test just so that you know whatyou're dealing with, especially considering that he's bonded with yourother beauty.

Please let us know when you get back from the doctor's. I'll be thinking and praying for you.

-Carolyn

If you can afford the blood test, I wouldcertainly go ahead with it. The peace of mind of ruling outPasteurella is well worth it. Although keep in mind that manysymtomatic Pasteurella infected rabbits live quality lives with propertreatment.

The molt/seasonal change/hormone change is a stress factor in itselfand may have lent torunning down his immune system alittle. You might try a small amount of Nutri Cal becauseit's so easy for the body to metabolize. Just don't give toomuch -- it's very high in calories.

Pam

Ok, we're back from the vet!

Well, it was a good thing I trusted my instincts and brought him intoday, especially now that by this afternoon his nose was gettingrunny.

The vet was great and did a very thorough examination on Chompers. Hislungs are clear, which is a relief. It's basically just in his sinuses.He is being put on Baytril for seven days and we're to watch himclosely. If there is a rapid decline, such as not eating or drinking,we need to bring him in ASAP. So far, I haven't noticed him not eatingor drinking.

As most of you probably notice with your own rabbits, it's moltingtime. I can not even tell you the amount of fur that was flying in thatroom. It was like a fur typhoon! And I even gave him a good brushingbefore we went. I was COVERED in rabbit fur by the time we left,because he kept on jumping into my arms during the exam, especially thetemperature check - that he did not like one bit. I have to say, thisrabbit does not like to be picked up or held and maybe this sounds badbut,it felt so good that my bunny loves and trusts me so muchthat he would literally jump into his mommy's arms. He's affectionateand likes being pet, but not held. At all.

Also, it was nice to get his nails done and I was shown a betterholding technique. I have the clippers, but both the rabbits just hateit. Now hopefully my husband and I will be able to clip their nails ona regular basis. I have years of experience clipping my cat's claws,but my cat doesn't mind clip clip time. (I'm lame, I know, but when Itell Lestat it's time for clip clip, he knows what I mean.)

Right now Chompers is in his cage with Abby. He was rather freaked outand I can tell happy to be home. Now I'm off to the pet store to buysome vitamin suppliments and bananas, as that's the only way I can gethim to take pills. He has a major sweet tooth. Besides, he deservessome extra treats.

Carolyn and Pam, thank you so very much for your concern. It meant alot to me to be able to come here for help and get it in such acompassionate way. Not many people understand how it is to worry abouta rabbit, as not everyone knows what great pets they make. Thank you. :)

Very glad to hear that thevet visitwent well and that it's nothing serious. It's always nice toget good news :cool:

Pam

Wooo Hooo!!! :dude:

Your post sparked me to put a list together of what to question aveterinarian about upon trying to select a good one for your rabbit.

I'm absolutely thrilled to hear that our little guy is going to befine, and that as strong as he is, he's just a little momma's boy inthe end. :)

Thanks so much for the update. Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

Back