I need to fly a bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atjurhs

Reaction score
Hi guys,

is there an airline that will allow me to fly a bunny in a pet carry case - probably in the cargo, not that I like the thought of that

Phone the airlines that fly out of the airport youre intending to fly from and ask them directly what options they have.

well I'm hoping somebody here has already flown a bunny, so I don't need to call a dozen different airlines

well I'm hoping somebody here has already flown a bunny, so I don't need to call a dozen different airlines
Not all airlines fly to all airports.
The best thing to do is actually phone so you get the correct information because every airport and every airline is different.
We dont even have a clue where you live so we cant even begin to guess what airlines youre trying to use out of your airport or where youre going.
Regardless you will NEED to phone the airline you intend to use.

ok Watermelons, I've got you point.

I know there are some airlines, like SouthWest, who won't allow bunnies, and there's probably others

but, can some folks provide information as to which airlines they've used in the past?

i would like to know also ... in what airline(s) would accept bun(s) ( esp. overseas )

this should be an interesting thread, IMO

Sometimes you can get a letter from your Doctor--service animal to help keep you calm while flying, and take them with you inside of the plane--ask about "service animals".

I believe the term for the 'keep you calm' pets are Emotional Support Pets and they are allowed on planes even when the plane dictates that they cannot be allowed. I'm pretty sure you have to get them documented and such but if you can do that, you are able to bring your cat/dog/rabbit on planes and in rental housing that would otherwise bar their presence. People tend to think it means they can take their pet everywhere else they go (including stores) but you're not legally able to.

For an ESP, though, I think you have to have some sort of affliction that makes coping in public difficult - such as anxiety, depression, various other disorders and your dr/therapist has to certify that the animal does, indeed, help you cope. At least that is what I have gathered. I've recently been looking into it for my cat but I haven't picked up all the details. It seems the exact specifications are fuzzy at best and there's lots of companies out there looking to make a quick buck by selling you "certification" that isn't authentic and I doubt would go undetected by a sharp-eyed employee at an airport. So if you decide to go that route, definitely figure out the specifics and make sure you have 100% legitimate documentation.

That being said... Good luck getting everything figured out! Hopefully your flight will be as stress-free as possible. :) If a flight simply won't work, you can probably find a pet transport company who would be willing to drive bunbutt to wherever you're needing them to be. Might cost a little more, but it would avoid the stress on your and bunny's part going through a flight with bunny in cargo.

Many years ago, I saw a young girl on an airplane who just flew for her trip with a rabbit on her lap. I think today, if the animal will fit in a carrier case that will fit under the seat in front, you can take a cabin pet.

When I was interested in buying a Flemish rabbit, I noticed that most Flemish breeders would not ship rabbits. Seems to me that shipping live animals, even babies, should be safe.

A story that's not too much relevant for the OP, but maybe of some interest. In November of 1991, I had to leave Australia. I wanted to take my cat Annie, back to the US. Problem was I didn't know where I'd be living when I left Australia. I left Annie at a animal shipping service that specialized in shipping pet animals overseas. Actually most of the pets they shipped were to Europe/England. They had a kennel in downtown Adelaide, South Australia and another spacious kennel outside of town for animals that had to wait before being shipped. In March of 1992, I had an address to ship Annie to. They then had a week training period..Annie would be placed in a carrier case for longer and longer periods of time to get her used to being confined for a long time in a carrier case. For shipment, Annie went from Adelaide, to Sydney Australia, where she was transferred to a Quantas flight to Hawaii. In Hawaii, she was met by a US custom veterinarian for a health check. This was organized by the Adelaide, South Australia animal shipping service. After approval, she was loaded on another Quantas flight to Los Angeles. I went to US customs and stood in the "Perishables" line to get a customs release, and then to Quantas cargo to get my cat in her carrier cage. I wondered if she was still alive. When I picked up her carrier, I heard a big angry "yowl"...knew I had a live cat! Took her back to my motel room, she wolfed down some food and water, paced around the motel room to check it out, jumped into our bed, burrowed under the covers and slept for about 10 hours. Her airplane trip, including the vet inspection in Hawaii, cost $800. This was 1992 dollars. She was about 12 years old at the time. She lived to be 19 years old. She was sold as a kitten in Whyalla, South Australia for $2.

Latest posts

Back