I need to Fatten up my Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went to the vet today to have my two Bunnies checked out.

They both have lost a bit of weight since there last visit and I should try and put some pounds on them.

Monsters 10+ is 1.73kg from 1.84kg in Nov. Monsters can't have lots of Veggies as she gets soft stools. I already give her about 1/3 to 1/2 a cup of mixed Timothy and Alfalfa Pellets and few pieces of either Parsley/Cilantro/Lettuce and all the Timothy hay she can consume.
Fluffy 5 1/2 2.25kg from 2.67kg from 3 weeks ago. Fluffy is given 1/3 cup timothy pellets Lettuce/Parsley/Cilantro and all the hay he can consume.

So what do you suggest I should add to there diet.

Rebecca

Monster is over 10 years old? When Muffy was 10, she began to lose weight. I switched her onto Oxbow 15/23 and she had only gained a little weight. So I mixed in Martin's Alfalfa pellets (known to be a little higher in fat) into her Oxbow and she gained more weight.

Quaker Oatmeal dry. If I give Bo a pinch a day for a week I swear he gains!

All of them love it so I give them one or two little pieces as a treat now and then.

I have fed it and everyone has been fine. They dont gorge themselves on it everyday. Believe me they are flemishgiants and are more than capable of eating an entire sweet potato if allowed, but I dont allow them to do so.I was told by a fellow breeder about it, and it has worked fine for them and fine for me and others.

I dont understand why every time I post an opinion on here there is Rabbit Advocacythrown in my face, andI feel as if I amScolded. Its VERY annoying.:grumpy:

gingers_giants wrote:
I have fed it and everyone has been fine. They dont gorge themselves on it everyday. Believe me they are flemishgiants and are more than capable of eating an entire sweet potato if allowed, but I dont allow them to do so.I was told by a fellow breeder about it, and it has worked fine for them and fine for me and others.

I dont understand why every time I post an opinion on here there is Rabbit Advocacythrown in my face, andI feel as if I amScolded. Its VERY annoying.:grumpy:
Monsters and Fluffy aren't Flemish Giants though. "Dosages" for one breed/size doesn't always translate easily over to others. I think that's the main concern here. The forum has a wide variety of members and some, above others, can take advice given very literally so precautions are given whenever possible. It's not against any one person by any means - it's all done for the bunnies.

Leaf wrote:
The forum has a wide variety of members and some, above others, can take advice given very literally so precautions are given whenever possible. It's not against any one person by any means - it's all done for the bunnies.
Yes, definitely!

gingers_giants, it wasn't aimed at you personally :) I just wanted to point out what I've read, from the links in the library. I don't know how much sweet potato it takes for it to be toxic to bunnies, but I just wanted to put that information out there for people who may read this thread... :)

I give up. I really do.. Im thinking of not even posting anything on here anymore.

I wasnt saying go ahead and feed your rabbits that much I was just merely saying what I do. Everything I say here is taken out of context anyway, So whatever everyone can think what they want about me. I have happy, healthy, content rabbits and that works great for me.I am sobeyond upsetright now becauseonce againI feel like im being attacked.

I think we just all see the lists..... I am forever noting the lowering calcium sources because i am totally freaked over that issue for some reason!! I haven't seen anyone attacking - just saying what they would do.

I really know that mouse_chalk would never, ever be mean/rude/attack someone. She's just trying to help!

ALSO..... I wonder if it's the actual sweet potato or the plant? We should investigate this more.

And I would love to see Flemmies devour oatmeal! My tiny ones practically inhale it! I can just imagine your big guys!! :shock:

Leaf wrote:
gingers_giants wrote:

Monsters and Fluffy aren't Flemish Giants though. "Dosages" for one breed/size doesn't always translate easily over to others. I think that's the main concern here. The forum has a wide variety of members and some, above others, can take advice given very literally so precautions are given whenever possible. It's not against any one person by any means - it's all done for the bunnies.
A lot of owners supplement their rabbits diets with potato peel (or peel meal).

Some things to keep in mind though....

The potato is part of the nightshade family and should be given cautiously and conservatively.

The amount of starch in potatoes can sometimes cause GI issues.

Potatoes defend themselves against bugs by producing a toxic chemical called solanine, concentrated in the peel.

Potato eyes, new shoots, and green parts can contain a substantial amount of toxin.

If a potato gets too much sunlight, it will produce more solanine and result in the potato turning green.

I personally have never fed my rabbits potatoes, although I know someone who does and doesn't seem to have issues.

I had one of my English bucks, Riley, eat about a quarter of a potato that someone has thrown into my garden once and he was very sick with bad bloat. That was enough of a warning for me!

No one meant to be harsh or attack anyone in this thread, we are just sharing ideas and opinions which is part of what being a member here is all about.

gingers_giants wrote:
I give up. I really do.. Im thinking of not even posting anything on here anymore.

I wasnt saying go ahead and feed your rabbits that much I was just merely saying what I do. Everything I say here is taken out of context anyway, So whatever everyone can think what they want about me. I have happy, healthy, content rabbits and that works great for me.I am sobeyond upsetright now becauseonce againI feel like im being attacked.
I'm sorry if you feel like I was attacking you- that definitely wasn't my intention!

I just wanted to share what I knew. I have no doubt that your bunnies are happy and very much loved! :)

People do different things that work for them- I know for example I have fed the occasional green bean in the past and had no problems with it, but some 'safe food' lists say that they are not to be fed as they are too sugary...However, I find them on some lists saying that they are ok to feed.... It's hard to know what's right and what isn't sometimes!

My thinking was the same as JimD- that a potato, being a starch, would have a high carbohydrate content, and that could not be good for a sensitive digestive system, but I must admit I don't know about that for sure- it was just a thought...

Jim,

I'm hoping to have a good sized garden this year. Do you know enough to recommend growing guidelines for people wanting to suppliment with potatoes? I'm somewhat new at gardening myself in general so any tips would be great in that aspect.

I've never tried growing potatoes.

I can't do much gardening in recent years, because of my bad back.
MrsD does most of the gardening now....mostly flowers.

We still grow tomatoes* and zucchini*.......and the herb garden, too.
Basil and parsley are quite successful.

And I think I have the only intentionally grown dandelions in the neighborhood:biggrin2:

I have limited spaces available to garden.
I've always been a big fan of Mel Bartholomew and his Square Foot Gardening.

http://www.squarefootgardening.com/

* We always grow extra so we can trade with the neighbors.

I have heard quite a bit about the sweet potato on both sides. However, to be as safe as possible and avoid foods that are very starchy, I'd recommend black oil sunflower seeds (maybe in the wild bird food section?), old-fashioned oatmeal, and Nutri-cal!:biggrin2:

Ah yes, the 'toxic' lists. So many of the 'do not feeds' were regurgitated and became 'toxic'.

And even the 'do not feeds' are suspect. My guys would be VERY upset if they couldn't have their broccoli and cauliflower. And I brought up iceberg lettuce the other day and how I found it funny that a shelter volunteer and gone and picked out the iceberg leaves from a heapin' pile of veggies in a free-run area. Re: the above,the keyis 'moderation'. TOO MUCHbroccoli willgive my guys gas. Too much iceberg will give them diarrhea.

And the other side of the scale are the people who say they feed these foods with no ill effects. That may not be true, either.

There are other reasons for foods appearing on those liststhat aren't so apparent.

Sweet potato and sunflower seeds are good examples. Raw sweet potato will actually block or destroy other nutrients. Sunflower seeds will indeed 'fatten up' the bunnies, but for rabbits that don't need fattening up, there's the danger of fatty liver disease -- a very common and dangerous problem for overweight rabbits. As a rule, you won't see the effectsuntil a necropsy.

We try to see both side of the coin, here -- and the edges.

sas :bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back