i need some help identifieing an eye infection

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmtangelkrystal

Reaction score
Hi, my rabbit fidget developed a rather disterbing eye infection while i was gone last night. where as i know things like this usually don't happen over night.. my boyfriend said that his eye on that side was not like this last night.

his left eye is rather bulged as if pressure is being bult up behind it and he is secreting puss around the eye. I suspect it is pink eye but all the articals i've seen say they their eyes swell shut... i had him out before i left and knoticed no discharge.. so i'm wondering if its pink eye or if he scratched it on something.

it would be lovely if you could help me out.

I second getting bun to a vet asap -- this does not sound like pink eye if he is secreting pus around the eye. It could be a retrobulbar abscess and if it has burst it would be very dangerous. This is nothing to wait and see with. Have the vet check the teeth and definitely get pain meds as well as antibiotics, since this is likely to be a painful condition.

I agree with Petra--retrobulbular abscess sounds like a definite possibility. This is an abscess that forms behind the eye, usually due to infected tooth roots. It needs vet attention immediately, especially if you want to save his eye.

An infection of the eye itself would not look like this unless it is a very advanced infection.

Magunta, that sounds really bad and should be seen by a vet ASAP.

Latest posts

Back