I need some hay-type input for those who do hay based diets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leaf

Reaction score
I was given 4 bales of fescue hay, but have seen mixed reactions on how good it is for rabbits.

From what I understand it's lower in protien than some types of hay, but acceptable for rabbits. But on the flip side I've also heard fescue can have its downfalls.

Does anyone have anyinput on this type of hay, due to experience or otherwise?

HABITAT MANAGEMENT FACT SHEET
----------------------------------------------------------
Page 2

Another quality of tall fescue that has proven detrimental, is the fact that most tall fescue stands have become infected with the endophytic fungus, Acermonium coenophialium,that lives within the plant’s intercellular spaces. The fungus produces alkaloids that are toxic to many plants and animals and causes fescue toxicosis in cattle, horses, and sheep. The symptoms of thisinfection include nervousness, rough hair coat, elevated body temperature, reduced weight gain, decreased milk production, and lowered birth rates. Ithas been estimated that the livestock industry loses $500 milliona year from fescue toxicosis. One farmer said “It is our main feed and our main problem”.

Wildlife,including deer, rabbits, quail, and some small mammals and songbirds are also known to be adverselyeffected by the fungus and exhibit many of the same symptoms.

Past studies have shown that rabbits and quail, feeding solely on infected fescue and its seed, exhibit high mortality rates within two weeks.

Yeah - thats what I mean - you hear some bad (but then dated material even has conflicting reports) and then you hear it's ok and see rabbit sites that sell red fescue hay blends.

This is probably one of the most conflicting things I've come across when it comes to hay.

I emailed my vet about the hay pretty soon after I got it, but I'm still waiting back for a reply.

If I can get some hands-on knowledge mixed in with the info that can be researched and looked up online I'd feel better, and now I'm curious in general. ;)Regions, years impacted etc...

It's all pretty region-specific. I'd check Purdue, because they've got such a great agricultural faculty, your regional universities, and the gov't.

There are a million different varieties of fascue. (Well, at least 87).

You can start here with a common name search (fescue), plant name search (festuca) and/or search by State...

http://plants.usda.gov/java/nameSearch

I spent weeks wrapped up researching forage/hay stuff. My eyes are permanently crossed!

Good luck sorting through it all. :p

sas :goodluck

Ok, we have hay and I know some but what exactly makes hay fescue?

We have "barn hay" which is mixed grasses, a bit of alfalfa but not much at all since it's nearly gone, and sometimes clover hay......

Your county agricultural exchange may have the best information available on local hay. I would start with the County Ag Ext oryour state Dept. of Agriculture.

Thanks :) Leaf, I never really knew about this... isn't that weird? My son probably does since he takes "hay" in 4H, but I don't do the project with him. His dad and uncle and grandpa do...

I think I might call Purdue or email them. I might even ask my Brother Inlaw if he knows LOL!

Bo, will you keep me updated? I'm beat right now after work last night and just want to go to bed.

If the economy weren't as is I'd seriously be considering a new line of work. :pullhair:

Latest posts

Back