I need some baby info

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatieRenee33

Reaction score
Willow's babies a 2 weeks old tomorrow and there eyes and they are starting to venture alittle bit out of there nest. Here some some things i need to kno:

1.When will they start eating pellets and drinking water??
2. Should I put a bowl of water in(dont want them to drowned, but Willow drinks of of a bowl), or will they learn to drink out of the water bottle?
3. When can I clean the whole cage again, and remove the nest?

And any other info I would need to know. ;) Thanks

As soon as they are mobile i.e. hopping around like a nornal bun, they'll start experimenting with pellets and water, while still nursing from mommy. Soon they'll get off milk altogether and they'll be eating hay, pellets, and water. I wouldn't let them drink from a bowl as they can so easily drown, especially since baby bunnies like to explore, I know mine do! Get a nice little water bottle, set it down low, and empty it every day to keep algae away, and they'll be fine. I'd also get a bottle for Willow so she doesn't have to reach to get to it.

How's about some pictures of the babies!

As for the cage and nest, you'll find that they lose interest in the nest and they won't sleep in it because they don't have to. Just put it on its side or some other safe position so they can still get to it, after they are compltely independant on that you can clean the cage.

Well Its not really a nest any more as 6 babies have started to pull it apart haha, but I put a cardboard box in there since they where born, and its over them (like a hut) and they have that to lay under so they are still protected from the wind and what not. They also are nibbling on the hay around the nest.

Also when they start trying solid food, should i keep Willow's lettuce, carrots and spinach away from them?
I will definitely Get some pictures tomorrow :)

I'd keep them away from the carrot (very 'wet' food) and the other veggies till they're about 1mos.
I let mine start nibbling on greens (not carrots though)when they were around 1mos.(some people say NO greens till 6mos. but then I've heard others say if the mom has always eaten greens then the babies are fine starting at 4-5 weeks)...if they display ANY runny poops, I yank the greens and feed just the pellet and hay...my 2mos.old can now eat greens (a couple small bits of kale) without exhibiting any mushy poops, so she's fine with that...the 1mos.old I'm starting very slowly on his greens.

Latest posts

Back