i need opinions on cairo's poop!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandy563

Reaction score
as i said in the welcome section i got her about 3 weeks ago, she seemed perfectly fine. She liked timothy hay and pellets and even vegetables (nothingshe wasn't allowed to have, i did my research before ifed her anything)so she had good eating habbits. her poop was normal, the regular round dry ones or w/e but about a week ago i had given her a carrot or two and then the next day her poops were looking a bit moist so i figured it was the carrots (which she had had before and she was still fine, i fed her a carrot the day i got her) but i didn't give her anymore carrots and her poos were looking about the same. and then today i was letting her run around and i saw in the poop area that there were poos that were sort of runny (not just moist looking)

i know there's another topic that was similar to this one and the person found out that someone had fed the rabbit reeses peanut butter cups but i'm around cairo 24/7 and she hasn't been fed ANYTHING she's not supposed to, she gets the normal pellets and the unlimisted amount of hay :?

i had been giving her i'd say a little more pellets than i should have (i know shame on me :nono) and then lately i've been trying to put her to the right amount (1/4 cup) could that be it????????

:cry2i hope she's okay (sorry if there's typos)

I have a couple of questions that might help us narrow the problem down:
  1. What type of pellets is she getting (alfalfa or timothy)?
  2. What types of veggies is she getting (any iceberg lettuce)?
  3. How long ago did she stop eating carrots?
  4. Have there been any other recent diet changes (such as switching brands of pellets or hay)?
  5. Other than wet poop, does she have any other symptoms (tiredness, listlessness, eye or nose discharge)?
By the way, assuming she is in the 4-6 pound range, a 1/4 cup of pellets is fine.

Matt

Hi Brandy,

I just had one of my rabbits at the vet's for those symptoms.

The vet thought it might be intestinal parasites, but it turned out to be an overgrowth of bacteria.

If it continues, you should get her to the vet for a fecal check. If she gets diarrhea, she needs to be seen immediately.

Do you have a rabbit-savvy vet? Loose stools in a baby could be very serious.

Vegetables are best left until they're older, so it may just be the veggies, but I wouldn't take a chance.

Hope Cairo's okay. Do you have Pedialyte?

sas

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11935&forum_id=10

Diarrhea - True diarrhea is more common in baby rabbits. One of the most common causes is coccidia, and if you see runny stool in your baby rabbit, you must get him to the vet as soon as possible for treatment. In a baby rabbit, dehydration caused by diarrhea can rapidly result in death. It is wise to consider runny stool in a baby rabbit a true emergency.

And here's one of the better pages linked in the resource center:

http://www.islandgems.net/diarrhea.html

She's awfully young to be getting a lot of veggies or to be having sudden significant diet changes at all. I would cut out all veggies, feed her as many pellets as she wants because of her young age (she needs them to grow), and as much timothy hay as she wants. If the problem clears up, wait until she's older to introduce veggies and then do it slowly, one type at a time and starting in small amounts.

If her poop isn't normal within a few days after cutting out veggies, take a fecal sample in to your vet for testing. I'm not sure where you got her from, but if she came from anyone but a good shelter or breeder (and maybe even still then) it's probably best to take her in for a full check-up.

P.S. I was about to post, then went to look at your previous post and saw that Bunnydude and Laura posted in those few seconds. Way to go, guys!:thumbup

Edit: And so did Pip!:shock:

[align=left]i'm not sure about the pellets (i didn't buy them) i'm guessing alfalfa, but she's also getting timothy hay[/align]
[align=left]and lately she hasn't had any vegetables and she hasn't had any iceburg (i read up on it and got a list of what they can and can't eat) she used to have cilantro and romaine but not for awhile[/align]
[align=left]tomorrow it will be one week since she's eaten the carrots (but her poop was only moist, not runny like it is now)[/align]
[align=left]and no, she's had the same pellets and hay since i first got her, although like i said, the amount of the pellets has changed slightly but nothing else[/align]
[align=left]and she's been acting prettynormal,she's been happy andnormal :?[/align]

yes, thanks for all the replies, i'm gonna look for a vet in my area that knows a good deal about rabbits and take her in for a check up and to find if there's anything wrong with her

i'd hate to think thatthere's something wrong with her:sad: i'm gonna go look for vets now, thanks for the help

Pipp wrote:
Thebunny is only seven or eight weeks old, and that'sa tricky age at best. If her stools are liquidy, I'd get her to a vet.
I agree. I thought she was still getting veggies regularly. Diarrhea in rabbits that young can be very bad, and needs to be treated by a rabbit-savvy vet. Rabbits are prey animals, so if they feel bad they usually hide it because predators single out the weak, sickly animals.

Please read the second link in my post, Brandy, the Island Gems site, and see which, if any,symptoms best apply. Coccidiosis is one with increased thirst, as is mucoid enteritis but check out the others. Do you have a rabbit-savvyvet?

sas

no, i live in huntsville which is quite a few hours away from birmingham and the only one in tennesse is in nashville which is also hours away (i was actually looking around the net earlier for vets and couldn't find any, but i'll find the best one around here.............if not then i'll have to take that hours drive :?

well thanks i need to get off to find a vet and the coccidiosis does sound about right, so thanks pipp i'll have them check on that and thanks everyone

Oh, I didn't even think about parasites. She needs to see a vet asap, they could get nasty if not taken care of.

Here's the note I got back from Alabama Ears:

While most of us go to Birmingham for Dr. Atlas, Dr. McManus at Valley Animal Hospital, 7535 Bailey Cove Rd SE (256) 881-8899 is a good choice in Huntsville. He will be the first to tell you if he's out of his league and at times will consult with Dr. Atlas if needed.

Good luck!

sas

omg thank you, you're amazing pipp. i had a ton of numbers that i was going to try and call to see whospecializedin rabbits (and surprisingly valley animal hospital was #1 on my list) yesterday everyone closed before i could call

my boyfriend's mom (she used to breed rabbits) said that it could be worms, but i'm going to take her in for a check up. actually not all of her poop was runny, just one time it was (i was just freaking out :shock:)but afterwards it was pretty normal but i'm still going to take her in asap

she's acting wonderful and sweet, she was up throughout the night tearing up newspaper and running around her cage. she was being extra loving this morning, wanting non-stop petting

but thanks for all the help and response i really appreciate it:hug:

Update: well, we went to the vet appointment and they did a check up and a fecal sample and everything was fine. they said she was healthy and that there was no concern in her wet poop that it was just normal. although they said if she was having diarrhea alot and she wasn't eating then there would be a problem, but everything is fine :bunny18

Latest posts

Back