I need help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
New Development!

It seems I was lied too because when I put the two together, in under a few seconds he mounted her! (More below.)
I just got 2 bunny rabbits, a dwarf and a normal rabbit with a fatneck. The male is fixed but the female is not. I've had them about 2weeks and only this past week, at night, she runs around the cage,growling like a mad dog or something. She ale claws at the bottom ofthe cage, her claws are worn and there are traces of blood which Ithink is coming from her. He runs away from her, watching her, like twowolves, but she doesn't hurt him. I don't know what to do about herthough...

She probably just wants to be bred! Iwould recommend getting her spayed. The blood could be redurine? I wouldn't rule out false pregnancy though.Just keep an eye on her.

Sharon

I dont know, maybe I am being overly cautious,but I think they should be separated. Were they together when you gotthem? Or just put them together when you got them?

If there are any traces of blood they should be separated andimmediately checked over for any signs of injury, one little bite orscratch unoticed and infected could lead to problems.

If your female is this aggresive, I would not have the two togetheruntil she is fixed b/c her aggressive nature may lead to fights andfuture injury.

How old are the rabbits? Where they a pair when you got them?
I'd try and trim the nails if you think she is clawing, you don't want them getting caught on the bottom of the hutch.

Do a complete check of her and him and look for any signs of fighting,best way is to feel the rabbits, run your hands over their bodies andfeel for sores or scabs.

Seperating may be a good idea till you work out what is going on. Do they fight?

They were a pair when I got them, and they seem to be close, there are no marks on the male to show that she's hurting him.

To those who said it could be a fake pregnancy: I think so, becauseafter I got offline I saw she was gathering fur in one corner of thecage, we gave her paper and separated them.

How can I tell if it's a fake pregnancy from a real one? I mean I don'tknow if she was ever with any other rabbits within the month I got her.She seems calm now though.

I also have a question about mating, is itpossible the two can mate? I now know the female is called a Rex, I'mnot sure about the male though. I mean, they seem to be too differentto be able to mate at all, so is it possible?

If she lets you, you can feel her lower abdomenarea. It should be hard, not soft. You should feelthem if they are there. Chances are that if it is soft, thereare no babies. Also, if she is less than 3 weeks, you need toknow what you are feeling for because they are so small. Myadvice is to keep doing what you are doing. Seperating themwas perfect. I would just keep an eye on her and check oftenfor babies.

Sharon

If she's not pregnant how long should I keepthem separated untill she'll calm down? Also I was thinking of givingher to a friend of mine but I'm not sure about it since they are cagemates.

------------------------------------
Edit: I felt her, she doesn't seem to be pregnant, but as you said the babies could be too small to tell yet.

Okay NEW DEVELOPMENT!!

It seems the people who gave the rabbits to me LIED about having Dustin(the male) fixed! While I was keeping the cage I keep Velvitine (thefemale) in I put her in the box I'm keeping Dustin in for the timebeing with him. Right after she was making those growing noises, when Ilooked I was shocked to see he was... MATING with her! She may verywell be pregnant after all!

Supposedly they were good cage mates and itseemed so because the way she was acting was recent, they were finebefore, grooming eatch other on a schedule and everything.

Well if you decide to keep them, you need to fixthe male and spray the female after she has the babies, if she ispregnant. Then try bonding them.

I plan on giving the female to a friend of mine,but I'll have to wait a month to see if she's pregnant first, Iwouldn't want to stick HIM with the babies and get him in trouble withhis parents.

They can still "Mate" even if he is neutered, hejust can;t get her pregnant. Have you checked to see if he hastesticles or not? Some vets completely remove them, others just takeout the inside. If they are still there and he is neutered they willkind of look like deflated balloons and if not neutered the opposite.Or if brought to a vet they will be able to tell you for sure.

And he may not necessarily be humping her to mate. Humping is also away to imply hisdominence over and the same vice-versa.

If they have been together for months already I would hesitate aboutgiving her away. I agree they should be separated until she is spayedbut kept in cages next to each other. Just think about you being with apartner for months and they get taken away from you, you'd be heartbroken and sad. The same will happen here.

Oh, I see, she still didn't like it!

My bf put him with her for some reason and she started humping him! I see what you mean about how they try to show dominence.

I've looked at him, and I don't see any testicles.

If they have been together for monthsalready I would hesitate about giving her away. I agree they should beseparated until she is spayed but kept in cages next to each other.
I agree. I wouldn't give her away. If they don't get along after the spay, she can always be kept in separate cage, right?

But I can't afford a second cage, and puttingthem together hasn't been working, she keeps chasing him around. Idon't know if they were even cage mates. So I don't know because Ican't keep them both, when I posted the ad to get them I said only oneand all of a sudden I have two, who, all of a sudden, decide they don'twant to get along! What should I do?

Latest posts

Back