I need help!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley B

Reaction score
My sister, Briana, is constantly opening MY bunnies cage and picking him up. No matter what I say she won't listen! i don't want her to frighten my bunny for he is pretty new to our house still. Last time she picked him up he bit her! she dropped him (thank god it was a really really short distance!) and than hurt him and said no! now my rabbit is deathly scared of her! I don't mean to sound selfess but i don't want her any where near my bun! What do i do to make her stay away?! :pssd:

How do i make her leave my bun alone?! Thanks for help!

-Ashley
p.s. My sister is 16!! :X

Explain to your sis how sensitive buns are and usually don't like being carried at the best of times. If she doesn't respect this then move the cage or put a lock on it.

I agree tell her why. If she doesn't listen put a lock on it, if that doesn't work sell the rabbit, if you really think it's stressing out the rabbit it's best for it to have a safer home :)

At 16, she really should know better... Explain why and if that doesn't work, put a combination lock on the cage. If that doesn't work... I dunno.

The talking to her didn't work. :/ and as for the locks... the cage i have is huge and has 5 diff. cage doors (2 on one side, 2 on the other, and a big one on top.) and getting 5 locks mite be kinda hard. i have key locks but any key works for those so its easy to open :/ i need major help!!! ):

I tell my parents to tell her that she isn't allowed by my bunny but they aren't home during the day and they favor her becuz she has a straight 4.0 gpa all year long and acts like an angel around so they don't punish her /: I'll try buying all the locks!!

Do you have pictures of the cage? You might be able to put a box with holes in it in there and secure it to the floor or shelf so the rabbit can run inside the box when somebody reaches for him.

You can put an exercise pen around the cage and make a new rule that if anyone wants to pet the bunny, they have to sit on the floor and let the bunny come to them.

And definitely a 'no picking up' rule. Nobody should pick him up, he'll hate humans. To get him used to being picked up, sit on the ground and give him treats, but don't grab him. Pick him up very briefly and put him on your lap and then let go immediately, then give him the treat.

sas :bunnydance:

At the shelter where I volunteer in the Small Animal Room (which has rabbits, guinea pigs, rats, hamsters, and gerbils in it), to keep people from stealing the small animals, we put those little luggage locks on each of the cage doors (usually 3-4 locks per cage). They are the TSA approved kind, only open with specific keys that are included with the locks, and are small but big enough to lock doors on a wire cage.

I know it will be a huge pain, but it really is the best option given your situation. I have to wonder what is wrong with your sister that she has absolutely no respect for what the bunny's feelings are in all this. If you feel she is doing this just because she knows it really bothers you, maybe try pointing out that the rabbit is innocent in all this, and it's not fair to scare the crap out of him just because she wants to make you mad. Let her know that disrespecting your wishes is a really good way for her to get bit again. And bunny bites can be very serious given how long their teeth are. Maybe the fear of profuse bleeding and severe pain will stop her.

Good luck!

I'll get the locks and ya she does it to get me mad... /: I told her that if she gets bit harder and gets severly hurt it's not my fault and that she doesn't need to be mean to the bunny to make me mad. I don't want to use the locks though cuz what if she takes them or I lose them?! Any ideas so I won't lose them?!

Stop getting mad when your sister picks up the rabbit, just ignore her and she will stop. She is being a brat.

I can totally relate to you there! :( Are you older or younger than her? I have a perfect older sister, too. Plus a perfect younger one. Argh!

Since you have so many doors, can't you just keep at least three of them permanently locked? If you get combination locks, you won't have to worry about losing the keys; one combination for five locks shouldn't be hard to remember, especially if you write it down somewhere.

Is she the kind of sister who has no scruples about rummaging through your drawers? If she isn't, and you can only get ordinary padlocks, keep them all together on a key ring. If you have a piggy bank, put it in there! Or inside your purse; betcha she wouldn't look there.

I don't know how you talked to your parents, of course, but try putting the focus on the rabbit, not you or Briana. Like, instead of saying, 'Can you tell Briana not to try holding my rabbit it upsets him' instead vamp up the panic; 'Mum, mum, Bunny is really upset, Briana dropped him AGAIN earlier today, and hurt him, should we take him to the vet?' The mention of vet will hopefully get her to listen.

Thanks sooo much! My mom told bri to stop and that if she does it again she'll have to tie me five bucks everytime, has to ask before going by the bun, and isn't allowed to pet him or anything if I say no!!! So helpful thanks!!!

Latest posts

Back