I need help...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darlenenicole

Reaction score
I woke up this morning and went to check on thebabies...and i noticed Leilu has a bald spot right by her ear. It lookslike she pulled all of the hair or it fell out or something. What do ido?

I noticed she has been sitting underneath the water bottle alot. And itleaks. her face always seems to be wet. could that be a problem? Anyadvice would be appreicated.

Darlene (worried bunny mom)

Hi darlenenicole,

I'd checkher over thoroughly for signs of mites orfleas. Does she have dandruff or is it just that one baldpatch?

Bald spots on rabbits are quite common ifthey'remolting. If it is from shedding, it willgrow back in a week or so.

I'd move the waterbottle or block the area underneath it somehow so that she can't have water dripping on her.

-Carolyn

Hii Carolyn, it is just the one spot underneathher ear. Is there anything i should put on it or maybe some fleamedication or something?

How is bunnymommy doing? THe funeral was yesterday, right? Ihope she is feeling a little better now that it is all over. Myboyfriends best friend just passed away yesterday morning, its reallysad to know that that certain person is not going to be there anymore.

Hi darlenenicole,

Kitten flea powder works on rabbits. I'd not use aspray. If it's mites, you can use mineral oil...a few dropsinto the ear and the mites pores will be clogged and they'll die ofsuffocation. People have used Listerine as well.There's also a product called Ivermectin 1.87 which is a horse wormingpaste that rids of most pests, not adult fleas though. Apea-sized dollop, no more than that, placed on the forepaws of therabbit where it will be licked off is effective. You don'twant to give too much because it's extremely potent and if given toomuch, fatal.

BunnyMommy did have the funeral yesterday. I saw your lovelyentry in her husband's Guestbook. Those small gestures ofkindness go a long way when you're in pain. That will mean alot to her.

She does stop in from time-to-time to check on some of the postsdirected to her, but she hasn't had the strength nor the focus to replyin her 'BunnyMommy' way. Thanks for asking. I'm sosorry to hear about your boyfriend's best friend.

Let us know how it works out for your little babe. It couldjust be shedding as I said. Is she shaking her head alot? Scratching? Dry flaky skin present?These are signs of fleas or mites.

-Carolyn

I will look over her really good and see what ican find. We do have other animals in the house so she could havegotten a flea. Will that flee powder or mineral oil be okay around thebabies?

Is it just the bald spot in that onearea? After you check out the sites above, you should have anindication of what to look for.

How old are the kits?

-Carolyn

Does this doe still have a litter on her and ifso how old are the kits? Its very possible that the kitscould have nibbled on her fur. I have a doe growing fur back right nowthat got nibbled on by her 7 week old kits. So guess where the kitswent...on their merry way to their own cages LOL! Justanother thought of what it could be......

Amanda

Excellent note, Amanda! I would becareful about treating the rabbit if it's not necessary which is why Ihad suggested the reading materials on symptoms.

:)

-Carolyn

Ivermectin 1.87 which is a horseworming paste that rids of most pests, not adult fleasthough. A pea-sized dollop, no more than that, placed on theforepaws of the rabbit where it will be licked off iseffective. You don't want to give too much because it'sextremely potent and if given too much, fatal.
Hello Darlene,

I have never heard of any breeder who has used Ivermectin/ZimectrineHorse paste wormer of having any problems with it's use even wnendouble dosing. Sorry Carolyn but I believe your assumption to beincorrect through experience. The rabbit in question could alo have aFungal infection. If that is the case, rub white Iodine into the areaand surrounding area. I hope your rabbit returns to proper healthquickly.

As always, JMPO. Your choices of medications [or not to] are strictly up to you.

Dennis,C.V.R.

2 B/Black, 1B/Copper, 1Choc-Otter, 1Black Otter, & 2Copper

It is not 'my assumption', Dennis. Itis what two veterinarians had told me along with an assistant that hadbeen working in the office for years and a 2nd generation of rabbitexpertise when I thought my rabbit hadfleas.Truth be told, they informed methat for a smaller rabbit, it's quite strong to use and recommendedanother medication instead.

I wouldn't trust your advice that a double dose is okay.Maybe it's fine, butI'd never take that chance with myrabbits, although people can test it out for themselves on theirrabbits if they wish.

I shall continue to caution posters as to what very reputable andreliable doctors and professional studies tell me.Folks can make their own informed decisions as they are presented withallthe information and precautions.

-Carolyn

From another forum: a statement attesting to the use of Ivermectine horse Paste Wormer.

When I had my first wry neck cases, two rescue jersey woolies, Icontacted Barbi Brown to see what the dose would be for Ivermectinpaste as opposed to ivomec liquid.She was unable totell me what the conversion rate would be.Took therabbits to the vet and discussed it with him.Wedecided to go with what would normally be a very, very high dose, sincethe rabbits would have died without it anyway - half a tube of thehorse paste.Neither rabbit had any adverse affectfrom this dose and recovered completely.The thirdtime it was a jersey wooly of mine (not out of the othertwo).He recovered from the wry neck, but this timeI also included a steroid, and he later died from pneumonia due to asupressed immune system.Fourth time it was a whitemini lop in the states, the owner had taken the rabbit to the vet andthe vet had put him on Baytril, which she had been giving for two weekswith no improvement, but the sub Q Baytril had given the poor rabbitsores all over
it.Treated with half a tube of ivermectin andrecovered completely.A few months ago, a pet personhere on the Island contacted me with two Holland Lops with wryneck.Treated with half a tube of Ivermectin andboth recovered completely with no ill effects (unfortunately a couplemonths later one of them contracted pasturella from where they werebeing boarded and succumbed to it).I haverecommended this dose to various people over the years who havecontacted via e-mail, great success rate and never any noticeable sideeffect from this dose.I'm sure some people wouldsay that this dose was too high, but from my personal experience withit and the risk of death posed to rabbits from wry neck if it is notcleared up, it is a risk that I am more than willing to take,considering the success rate.Oh, and the dose needsto be repeated in seven days.I had thought it wasten days, but checked recently on Barbi Brown's site and she says sevendays, so that is what I am
using from now on.
Kitty

Now that's alot of Ivermectine without any adverse effect!

What anyone chooses to do/use to treat their Pet is entirely up tothem, but I would take the word and experience of a Breeder over a Vetanyday of the week. Asalways JMPO. What you do with any informationgiven is no business of mine. I just put forth what I know as aneffective use of any Meds that I am familiar with.

Dennis,C.V.R.

HankHanky wrote:
I would take the word and experience of a Breederover a Vet anyday of the week.

Dennis,C.V.R.

After visiting your rabbitry, there are many things that you dothat I would never.

Barbie Brown is a reliable source though. Have to admit that.

-Carolyn

After visiting your rabbitry, there are many things that you dothat I would never.
And Likewise Carolyn,

I am certain that you do many things I would NEVER DO! However I do notkeep rabbits as Pets generally. They are produced as show animals orthey are sent to where they will best serve a purpose. I don't cuddleand coo each and every rabbit in my care though I do certainly have afew favorites. You know what opinions are like? You are welcome toyours, and to do as you see fit. I simply do what works for me in myparticular situation.

Have a nice day.

Dennis,C.V.R.

Latest posts

Back