I need help theres something wrong with molly

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luna21

Reaction score
I let molly out of her cage as i usually do when i change her litter box, she came out and layed down right away and when she gets up she has alot of trouble. She is not moving, when she does its to try to get up then she lays back down again. Someone please help, im really scared and Im not sure whats wrong, im in tears right now

Is there any way you can get her to a rabbit savvey vet?

It sounds like she may have hurt her back or her hips.

They'll probably need to do an x-ray to make sure nothing is broken or fractured.

When you say she has a lot of trouble, can you describe it? Is she having a hard time getting her back feet to stay steady or unable to get up at all?

Is her head tilting? She may have balance problems from head tilt (can be caused by an ear infection).

It's really important for her to see a vet so they can diagnose it and treat it before it's too late to help.

--Dawn

it seems like its her back legs, but when she gets up she circles and lays back down so im not sure if it could be head tilt. In any case im calling my vet. she did fall alittle bit yesterday coming down her ramp it one side broke off

Try not to let her move around too much until you find out what's wrong. If she slipped off the ramp and suffered a minor back injury, an anti-inflammatory may help. Get her to a vet as soon as possible so proper treatment can be started.

Pam

Let us know what the vet says!

I would try to get her in today if at all possible.

Turning circles is a sign of head tilt, but if it's her back end, maybe she hurt one leg/hip so it's hard to stay straight on just one leg?

Sending good thoughts you way!!!

--Dawn

Is the room temperature on the cool side? Are her ears normally cold?

If you thinks she's abnormally cold, you can try making a rice buddy (old sock filled with rice and sewn up), to warm up in the microwave for her to snuggle with.

But I would try to get her to a vet ASAP! Have you been able to get in contact with your vets office?

--Dawn

yes she will be seeing the vet in 2 hours, thats the only appointment i was able to get! She has peed were she is laying and thats not like her at all, im very worried.

Loss of bladder control can also be an indicator of back injury as well as a possible bladder infection.

Please keep us updated.

Pam

We just got back from the vet and boy am I frustrated:mad:the vet took her temperature, listened to her heart and then put her down to see her walk and said that she couldnt find anything wrong with her and that I should try some hairball medicine which could be the cause of her loss of appetite and movement, because she hasnt been eating all day and has not pooped. She has had one little bite of a banana but thats it. The vet told me to basically wait it out and see if anything develops, she didnt evendo an X-ray. So ive had her beside me at all times in her bed, she has gotten up to drinksome water a few times but wont eat. She just doesnt seem herself to me:(:X

I wouldn't pay the bill. And I'd demand an xray. A bunny that's not eating andhas a loss of bladder control is obviously not right, and that has nothing to do with a 'hair ball', which is a sure sign the vet isn't rabbit savvy.

I'mnot sure what your vet situationis like around there,best to find another one, although you really need to get your money back from that one, or getxrays without having to repay a visit fee.

Where are you located?

sas

EDIT: Oops, Orilla, never mind. Do you see this vet often?

I would look into getting another vet too.I don't know, but bythe sounds of it, I don't trust this vet. I don't like the word could when it's dealing with if myrabbit has something. Especially when the vet said to wait it out,I don't like the sound of this vet.

Any of these vets near your area? http://members.shaw.ca/cocoasun/CanadianRabbitVets.htm#Ontario

Try maybe mushing up pellets and add a bit of banana to it and seeing if she'll take it?

It's good that she's drinking. Does she eat veggies? Try waving her favourite veggie in her face, or try to put it in the corner of her mouth to see if she'll start eating it.

Good vibes being sent your way, keep us updated!

Well Molly's condition has changed since yesterday in that she is moving around fine, but is still not eating, I did see a few poops in her litterbox this morning but alot less than usual. I bought some papaya tablets and put one in a banana and im waiting for her to eat that. I have tried offering her favorite foods but she struggles and tries to bite me instead:?she is drinking lots of water which is at least good, but i will be buying a can of pumkin mix and try to syringe some into her. I am seeking to find a rabbit savvy vet in this area but i think i will have to go to Toronto which is 2 hours away from here but its well worth it because these vets dont know what they are doing:mad::mad:this is the second time!!!!!!!!! and the last:X

Any chance the vet checked a urine sample? Not sure if a urinary tract/bladder infection would have been caught by that exam, but it's something to look into.

If you have a wire-bottom cage, litter box or carrier or can rig one up, might be worth collecting a sample and have the useless vet you already paid to do nothing at least run it under the microscope (assuming that will peg an infection).

Put some clean plastic under the wire and watch for her to pee (withoutit getting mixed up with the poops, so you may have to keep cleaning it until you get a untainted puddle), then slurp it up in a syringe and get it to the vet asap (refrigerating it if you can't get there right away).

Keep us updated!

sas

molly still is not eating but is drinking, i've bought some nutrical and am wondering how much to syringe into her??? other than that im going to try to get a urine sample. im not sure how molly will pull through!! I will keep evryone posted, thanks for all the support !!!

You can just mush a 1/2 ribbon onto her foot and she'll lick it off whether she likes it or not. (That's the beauty of Nutri-Cal).

Have you tried grated carrot or any other grated treats she likes on the off chance it's her teeth?Watered down carrot juice is currently working for Pipp, she's lappingit out of the syringe. It flushes her kidneys and gives her nourishment when her molar spurs are acting up.

Hope it works!

sas and the gang of fur

Some bunny hate to take it, and some will gobble it up.
I will squeeze some out on a layer of oats and let Pebbles eat it that way.
Other people will put it on their bunnies paws and let them lick it off, but if they flick their paws, you will get Nutrical all over the place.

Rainbows! :)

Back