I need help, pronto.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheyrul

Reaction score
Not been around for a while.
Had 4 buns, primarily outside, free roaming our fenced in yard. They have a doggy door into the house but prefer the screened patio. Been living like this since August of last year with no problems. About a month ago, I found our little girl dead, with no apparent reason why, eyes and nose clear, no injuries, etc. She was 3 yrs old. I later found out from my 16 y/o daughter that she found :matting" on Nutmeg's ears and around her head, told this to her dad who said it was probably normal molting. No one ever mentioned it to me.
Today, same kid brings me the brother bun, Curly, who does not like to be held and no a fan of petting either. Anyway, Curly's ears have the same "matting" that she found on Nutmeg.
He is sitting with me now, his nose seems very warm to me. It does look like his ears, which also seem warm, have an infection as the hair is thinning and does look like it has gotten wet and dried matted but it feels like it something in it. He also seems to be breathing hard but I think he is always like that because I am holding him and he is anti-social.
Is this an emergency or can I wait til tomorrow. Monday? I need to find another vet as one in the clinic we use is severely allergic to rabbits.
I have pictures on my phone but cannot remember how to use the app.

Curly has had the hardest time with the loss of Nutmeg, they were bonded. He now has chosen Squish but she doesn't groom him back or seek him out, like Nut would.

1397411057892.jpg

1397411091980.jpg

1397411128849.jpg

I don't know what it could be but ear mites are really common in rabbits. Is the skin inflamed? Is there any sign of infection inside the ear? Have you checked his mouth and teeth? If he has a sore mouth maybe he's not grooming the way he should. I would also check his whole body for any other signs of illness.

Latest posts

Back