I need help choosing a Rabbit book

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyLove06

Reaction score
I am completely fascinated by rabbits, and love learning all about them!

I have the book : Rabbit Health in the 21st Century: A Guide For Bunny Parents and am looking to get another book with birthday money (plus some extra since some of these are kinda pricey)

So far I have found:

Notes on Rabbit Internal Medicine by Ron Rees Davies (Good reviews, sounds like it's really well written)

Textbook of Rabbit Medicine by Frances Harcourt-Brown (Currently the one I want the most, I think.)

The Nutrition of the Rabbit by J Wiseman (I am very intrigued by bunny nutrition and how their digestive tract works. I don't know much about this book. The description on Amazon seems to lean more torwards rabbit production, not household buns. This would otherwise be my second choice- unless it really is just about raising bunnies for alternative purposes)

Rabbits: Health, Husbandry and Diseases by Virginia C. G. Richardson (I don't know anything about this book other than the title. The title SOUNDS like it could be good, but they to never judge a book by its cover)

Those are the books I know of. If anyone knows anything about them- or has any other recommendations, please let me know! Thanks!

There is also a good one called "When Your Rabbit Needs Special Care". To be honest I'd like to have all of those! The last one sounds like it might be more breeder/commercial oriented, so it might have more "folk remedies" that sometimes work, sometimes don't. We can learn a lot from these old-school treatments that have been passed down from breeder to breeder, but sometimes they aren't founded on good medical knowledge and aren't always the best idea.

tonyshuman wrote:
There is also a good one called "When Your Rabbit Needs Special Care". To be honest I'd like to have all of those! The last one sounds like it might be more breeder/commercial oriented, so it might have more "folk remedies" that sometimes work, sometimes don't. We can learn a lot from these old-school treatments that have been passed down from breeder to breeder, but sometimes they aren't founded on good medical knowledge and aren't always the best idea.
I bought that book and it was one of the best rabbit care books I have ever read. I highly recommend it.

I have "Rabbits for Dummies" and its honestly the best rabbit book that I have ever read. I always let people borrow it when they think they want a rabbit because it is packed full of true information in detail.

And for relaxing rabbit reading, Touched By A Rabbit is one of my favorites!

Denise

undergunfire wrote:
I have "Rabbits for Dummies" and its honestly the best rabbit book that I have ever read. I always let people borrow it when they think they want a rabbit because it is packed full of true information in detail.
i have this one too - an excellent and informative rabbit book.

Rabbits for Dummies is a good one. We usually try to get books at amazon.com--sometimes you get a new on for a low price or even used ones, but always way below bookstore/new cost.

BunnyLove06 wrote:
Textbook of Rabbit Medicine by Frances Harcourt-Brown (Currently the one I want the most, I think.)

Rabbits: Health, Husbandry and Diseases by Virginia C. G. Richardson (I don't know anything about this book other than the title. The title SOUNDS like it could be good, but they to never judge a book by its cover)
I have both of these. I recommend the "Textbook of Rabbit Medicine". I also like "Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits". It has some good older remedies and a good feed mix if you are raising larger rabbits. You have to get past the butchering point because it's written for raising rabbits for food, but on the whole, I think it's a pretty good book.

undergunfire wrote:

Yep yep. I have read it so many times. Just love it to pieces. SUCh an enjoyable read and just full of useful info.

Jen

Latest posts

Back