I made a pretty big decision this week

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leaf

Reaction score
I was given 4 French Angoras earlier this year. Three females, one unrelated male. All have pedigrees and won prizes at the local fair (in the area they came from).

Ii spoke of how I got them in previous posts and also about how Diamond (FA) and Bumble Bee (Rex mix) went to live with Patric, and autistic boy.

That left me with three, my male - Skeet, and the girls, Taps and Blue. I know in a post somewhere on here I had mentioned not knowing whether or not I'd have them fixed, and was leaving them for last, after the rest were done. Not all of my crew is done yet, but I've been keeping them in mind fora while now, not knowing for sure what to do.

They are beautiful, friendly, loving and... just great. Everyone who knows them or sees them wants one, or a baby - the pressure is always *on*. I even have a friend who works at Silver Dollar City in Branson, Mo who spins wool, who would be an outlet for productive rabbits (hai-wise) who would like to have a few rabbits in her working area for "show, demonstrations"and education - another outlet for babies I could produce/provide.

My life is very hectic right now. I've worked with taking in many rabbits, vetting them and rehoming them recently.

I have lost two of mine - Cricket and Stitch. It's been heartbreaking.

I have room for, and the desire to have more rabbits. I've been busy this week, so much so that in my spare time it brings me pleasure to think about adding to my crew...

So far today I've looked around Craigs List, Petfinder and our rescue board here and it dawned on me...

While I have the desire and want for another rabbit or two, at this point in my life I'm not ready to breed rabbits in a responsible manner. Now, if I were to take in a pregnant rabbit it would be one thing, but as for planning and actually taking the initiative to do so I'm just not up to it at this point.

So, in the next few weeks I'm going to bite the bullet once again and schedule Skeet for a neuter then I'll follow up with the girls. MAYBE somewhere along the line I'll be open to future considerations if I ever run across more French Angoras, but for now my mind is made up as for my current crew. They will be cherished *pets* just as they have been thus far - with the exception of a few spare parts!

*sigh*

I'm really glad you are bieng sensible, and not breeding.
I can't help but think that too many lovely rabbits already here need homes, that you are now not taking on them.

I know this forum is not against breeding, but I'm afraid as long as the rabbit population is exploded with unwanted rabbits as it is now - I'm very much anti anyone breeding, no excuses warrant it being acceptable to me.

Good on you ;)

Although I am a breeder, I want to say that I think it is awesome that you took your time to think this through and make the best decision for you and your rabbit family. I think it is a great decision and I know it is going to allow you to open your life up to other rabbits that need help, etc.

Breeding isn't for everyone and it isn't just about having cute baby bunnies 'cause then those babies grow up. I am always pleased when people take the time to think it through and decide what is best for them.

Good luck with the upcoming neuters!

Peg

Thought this story might make you feelless sadabout your decision. i have a friend who has a girl(rabbit) and her little brother and sister have a boy. when they got them, however, they did not know this and as such, housed them together. the girl got pregnant(duh)and they sepperated them. when she had her babies, thought, there were problems and she ate one and pushed the rest out of the cage so they all died. after that the girl has been, to quote my friend "mean, ever since she had her babies" unquote. so you never know, yours may have had problems like that.

Hope that makes you feel better,

Anna

It sounds like you're making the best choice for you and for them right now. I wish more people would think breeding through as much as you did. When you are ready, I'm sure you'll be a great breeder and a very responsible one too.

For now, just think of the space you won't need for their babies, and how you can fill that space up with more rescued rabbits.;)

After taking in my rescue litter of rats, and really seeing how much they have thanked me (really, they have)....I could never, ever, ever breed any animal.

The rescues need you, and I think you need them :).

I think sometimes it's hard to make decisions like this. I know i would love to have baby bunnies one day, but now isn't the time. I think maybe when Luke's in college it can be a good project for Lexi to do for 4H and open shows.

However, I consider the ones who need homes so badly and that makes me step back and wonder if we shouldn't just keep pets and maybe a show rabbit for 4H for now.

I hope I keep as level of head as you - I tend to go with my heart sometimes instead of what is the best for everyone.

Back