I made a mistake.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Cow

Reaction score
I brought home Gracie last Thursday and she had heat stress worse than I thought. She was so easy to pick up the first day or so that I kept it up. I picked her up once a day and placed next to me in the living room to see if she would become more comfortable. Last night, she showed me that she didn't appreciate being picked up by shoving me away with her front feet. Definitely telling me that I was being a pushy bunny caretaker. Oops. No more picking up Gracie for awhile. When I pick her up, I am supporting her hind legs and holding her securely but perhaps she just doesn't like being picked up.

So, since I feed her several small meals per day and she always comes over quite eagerly, I thought I'd try to pet her briefly, but other than that, I'm going to give her some space and time to settle in. Am I still being too pushy if I try to pet her when she comes up for treats? She didn't seem to mind a few strokes between the ears while she was eating this morning. Or, should I wait for her to invite me to groom her?

Thanks!

Also, one more question. This sweet bun-bun has been through a lot. I have heard that another rabbit can make them happier. I plan on getting her spayed next week (I know she'll be mad at me for that, too), but once she's healed up, should I get her a friend? Do females share well with other females or should I get a neutered male? She is a Florida White and I had to make a big cage for her. Do I need to get a breed of rabbit her size or can I get a smaller breed?

Thats about the same as when I brought Loki home, He then wanted nothing to do with me, while Lily would always be the one who would accept pets, since both getting fixed theyve swapped personalitys, and I have slowly been able to pet Loki, and he will now come up and eat treats right from my hand.

Just keep going the way youre going, take it slow, you can try putting your hands on either side of her a few time then try to just just pick her up an inch or so, and work from there.

As per the other rabbit, get her spayed regardless, and honestly with your love and lots of toys, she will be fine on her own, its alot of work to bond 2 bunnies, and if they dont get along, youre stuck with 2 seperatly housed rabbits, just keep her single :) But thats just my oppinion anyway.

Take it slow, and best of luck.

I would just get her a stuffed friend if you want one. That way she has someone to snuggle and groom but you don't have to worry they won't get along. :)

Yes rabbits don't like being picked up really at all just ease in to it and let her come to you but when she comes for treats pet her to ease her into it

Whenever I get a new bunny, I keep them in their cage for the first several days. I stop by their cage several times a day to talk to them and pet them if they want it, and feed them (of course). Bringing a treat each time you visit (a treat can just be a couple of pellets or a sprig of parsley) is a good idea and try to have the bunny take it from your hands. After the first day or two, I practice taking the bunny out of the cage. I carefully pick him up, hold him for a minute or so, and then put him back in the cage. If he struggles as he's being put down, I lift him up again and don't set him down until he does it without wiggling. I then pick him up several times a day.

After about 4 or 5 days of visits with treats and picking up/putting down, I let the bunny out to play for the first time and make sure to sit down or lie down on the floor during play time so they will come over and visit me. Doesn't hurt to have treats then either :)

This method (if you can call it that) has worked pretty well for me in that I've had 9 rabbits and all of them are affectionate and good about being picked up and put down. Ned and the 2 babies don't love being carried or held but will tolerate it. The rest of them like being held and all of them love attention and being petted/snuggled.

I've seen many people say that their bunnies don't seem interested in them if they immediately start letting their rabbit free range or let them out for hours each day from the very beginning, and keeping them "captive" for the first few days or week, visiting them, petting them and bringing them treats seems to be pretty good for getting them used to you and getting them to like you!

Hershey is the only rabbit I've ever had, but fwiw here is my two cents:

Concentrate mostly on sitting on the floor and letting the rabbit sit next to you while you pet it.

Work up to picking him up and being helo little by little.

Warn him when you are going to pick him up. In fact I can now ask Hershey, "Can I pick up Hershey?" and if he's ok w/ it he will bow down, if not, he scoots away!

Experiement with slightly different ways of picking him up. Hershey absolutely doesn't not allow me to pick him up the recommended way! I have to pick him up by putting my hands around his middle and picking him up like one would a toddler!

Good luck!

Every bun is different. We got our buns used to being handled by rubbing them while giving treats. I'd rub their chins and necks till they got used to having their head in my hands, so it's no big deal now. Also I'd rub their sides and work my hand under till they got used to me rubbing their belly too, so then picking them up wasn't as big a transition for them to accept. Time and patience are the keys.

Tiberius enjoys being picked up and cuddled close but he wouldn't tolerate it when I first got him. I started giving him treats whenever we had time together and I cuddled him so he'd associate me as a positive. You could try that and little by little work your rabbit into letting you touch her more and eventually picking her up. I worked a lot with training Tiberius to be nice when handled because he's now a therapy rabbit. I wanted him to be tolerant with kids who may be rough or scared. I'll bet you and your rabbit will be good friends soon.:biggrin2:

I would definitely allow your bunny to settle in completely before sending her off to be spayed. She is already stressed with the new environment and spaying will add even more stress.

Thank you, again, for all the assistance!

Things are going better since I put her cage on the floor and attached a playpen. She is much more relaxed and friendly. She will be spayed on Monday. I will let her in her pen and shoo her into her carrier instead of picking her up. I think she is one of those bunnies that doesn't like it. At least for now. She is getting more friendly but she likes our toddler better than me, LOL! (He's never picked her up). He can even kiss her on her head. She tolerates my petting but I think she's still a little irritated at me for picking her up when we first got her and I had to transport her to the vet. She'll get over it with time , I suppose. If not, well, she's our son's rabbit anyway, LOL!

Nancy McClelland wrote:
Time and patience are the keys.

SO well said..

My most docile bun, does not "Appreciate" to be picked up, but allows me to do so as he is just THAT kind of bun.

That being said, I've had one of his "Shelter Mates" female he is bonded to, but she hates if I give her more than a nose rub (been a year and have worked up to that, and it kinda rocked my world when I figured out she was happy to recieve).

Every bun is different, every bun has their wanted behaviour from you, that you have to figure out on your own.

Back