I`m very very new to this!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ameays

Reaction score
Hi, I`m Amanda, and my rabit is pickles.. Not sure if it`s male or female yet. I`ve had her for about a day and a half and am not sure what to expect.
She seems to like to sit on my shoulder, but she may just be trying to get away...
She also likes to lick my face.. Is this normal?
Also, I have two young children that really like the bunny, but I really don't think she likes them! LOL! Any ideas??
I appreciate all the feedback!!

Welcome to the Forum!

Congratulations on your new bunny.

Regarding the licking, sounds like she's grooming you, which is a good thing. When a bunny grooms you, it means they like you as they like to groom other rabbits they bond to.

Regarding liking to sit on your shoulders, rabbits love to be up high and see the world. She's found a place she can see everything.

Regarding young children, your bunny sounds like she's a bit scared of them. Bunnies do get a little upset when young children are around, especially if the bunny is young. Just supervise the visits. I love when children take to animals.

You will find some very good info in the library about bonding.

Wishing you luck. Look forward to hearing more stories and would love to see pics of your bunny.

K :)

:wave: Welcome to the forum. Bunnies and younger children aren't always a good mix--bunnies in general have to be gotten used to being handled and picked up as it's something they have a natural aversion to since they are primarily prey animals.

:hello
Welcome to Rabbits Online!!
Wow, if Pickles likes to lick your face, she loves you! It's so nice to hear that!
It's normal, and I bet many bunny owners would want to have a loving bunny like yours!
ABout your children, how old are them? I'm sure she might like them too, but some kids (esp the very young ones) can do things to pets that aren't very nice.. they may stomp on the floor and scare the bunny.. or be noisy, which scares rabbits too..
Some other children can be mean without knowing, they end up pulling the tail or doing something else that isn't nice, without even knowing. It seems like animals are afraid of children for some reason..

Pickles will get used to the kids when she finds out that they're nice and it's safe to be around them. I've seen bunnies get along well with kids, they just need some time to "understand" each other. I guess that's better if you're around when the kids play with Pickles, 'cause Pickles trusts you and also because you can teach the kids how to be gentle and not too noisy (etc) with a bunny, how to touch the bunny in a very gentle way, not to try to pick up the bunny, as well as you can show Pickles that the kids like her too, she'll eventually understand you. It's great that you two get along so well when Pickles has been with you for only 1.5 day! It took longer than that for my bunny to trust me.. but after he did, we could read each other's minds!!
You should post some pics, and start a blog where you can share stories too.. It seems like you'll have a lot of nice things to tell us!

:welcome1

I would like to welcome you to Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.

Many bunnies’ recommend their slaves to this site so we may learn of others methods to keeping our furry masters happy.

If you everhave a sick bunny, please post in The Infirmary and include your rabbit's age, breed and health history as well diet and output details leading up to the problem.

Here are somelinks I thought you might find interesting:

*For reference the Library section

*To brag or tell everyone about the antics of your bunny or just to talk about your day here is where to start a Bunny Blog, you can also look back at it later and remember when you had a life before your bunny.

*Now all the bunny’s like talk to each other when we mere slaves aren’t around in the Bunny Chat is the spot to be.

*The House Rabbit Society has a lot of good information on what veggies are safe for bunny’s, etc.

*Here is a link to learn what your furry master is trying to say to you How to Understand Your Bunny's Language

*Rabbits Online also has regional forums , this a good way to find a vet in your area that has experience with rabbits and to find out from other nearby of good sources of rabbit supplies.

The Let Your Hare Down section is for anything non-bunny related.

Here is a link tothat will help you and your bunny to connect, How to Bond with Your Bunny.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

Everyone on this forum loves to see pictures of each other’s bunnies. So if you would like to post a picture this link will help you do that, Upload Photo's to Photo Gallery. Then in the post, you click on the "G" in the tool bar to insert your photo. Many people also use Photobucket. You just copy the img file and paste it into the post.

Don’t hesitate to ask questions and I am glad you have joined rabbits online; I look forward to seeing you around.

My rabbit loves to lick everyone too, especially the face, definitely normal. My 4 year old son and rabbit get along really well. Just supervise your kids interactions with him and I bet he'll warm up to them soon. My son and rabbit now play a game my son named "catch the bun", he basically gets down to the level of the rabbit and they chase eachother, the second my son stops our bunny runs up and nudges him with his nose till he plays again. Don't worry, my son is very gentle with him, I think that's why the bunny has taken to him so well. Enjoy your new bunny, they're a lot of fun.

Latest posts

Back