I lost it, but want to question it - no need for pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leaf

Reaction score
Is what I posted in the subject lines ringing any bells? I know I read a comment to such likes about it but I'm drawing a blank right now.

I think ra... (sorry) someone posted it in a thread and I'm curious about the feeding regiment from this member as I want to improve upon whats going on here on the homefront.

I'll search some more, but am looking for the best input possible. If any members have tips or suggestions that they'd rather PM me, thats fine too.

I'm a nut when it comes to researching for and feeding my dogs and cats - so now it's moving to the rabbit front as well.

How recent was the post?

I know a few months ago, out of curiousity, I asked about the no-pellet diet I'd heard...and got a firm DON'T DO THAT. But it sounds like you're asking about one that's more recent than that.

Can you think of any lesser-used words that might've been in the thread?

Or maybe a member's name that posted in the thread?

If so, I could probably find it quite quickly. :D

Pellets sort of round out the diet with little trace minerals and that sort of thing. One of the "ideal" diets is 1-3 cups of greens or vegetables, unlimited hay, and 1/8-1/4 cup pellets, depending on the size of the rabbit. That's just one way of giving a healthy diet, there are other methods.

Generally I would give a small amount of pellets, at least 1/8 of a cup.

Ivory wrote:
Pellets sort of round out the diet with little trace minerals and that sort of thing. One of the "ideal" diets is 1-3 cups of greens or vegetables, unlimited hay, and 1/8-1/4 cup pellets, depending on the size of the rabbit. That's just one way of giving a healthy diet, there are other methods.
Yup, the only hard and fast rule about bunny diets is there are no hard and fast rules. :biggrin2:

All my bunnies get different diets, depending on what's good for that particular rabbit,what they like and what they're used to.

But everybunny here gets at least small amounts of pellets becausethey're all indoors and don't getvitaminsfrom the sun, which I believe can also come from hays and grasses, but I can't count on enough variety to make sure that happens.

Remember that the nutrient content can change quite drastically from area to area. Soil composition, agricultural practices, etc, really make a difference.It's not a cut 'n dried science.

I believe the key wordis variety. Withvariety across the board -- pellets, various veggies, an array of hays and grasses --they'll get the full slate.

sas:)

Something else to note for some bunnies - they might have changing needs.

For some reason right now, bo cannot handle a lot of fresh greens. He gets sticky poos if he has them. I have cut way back on the fresh stuff and pushed the hay. Pellets are fed, but hay is the big food here.

They used to get salads every night..... then something changed in Bo and then clover didn't seem to have good poos either....... both are doing great now. Big fluffy poos and they are eating very well.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Something else to note for some bunnies - they might have changing needs.

For some reason right now, bo cannot handle a lot of fresh greens. He gets sticky poos if he has them. I have cut way back on the fresh stuff and pushed the hay. Pellets are fed, but hay is the big food here.

They used to get salads every night..... then something changed in Bo and then clover didn't seem to have good poos either....... both are doing great now. Big fluffy poos and they are eating very well.

Peanut was the same way. She used to be able to eat lots of veggies, but then reached a point where she just couldn't without upsetting her tummy :?

I think I might try to reintroduce veggies as a regular part of Rex's diet to see how he does, but as it is, he's been doing great on lots of hay and limited pellets :)

Yep, you know what a small dixie cup looks like? that's what my bunnies get each day. Now Heidi gets more and Clover might - she sometimes has a full dish just because she won't eat more than she needs and will hit the hay before the pellet bowl!

Bo has to be limited because he LOVES his pellets! LOL!

I'm too tired to post much more tonite (it's 11:05pm and I've been up since around 3:30am) but I question a lot - not to start debates but to learn, and not only for blanket "rules" but ina forum setting I get to know rabbits, their health and care and the feeding that goes along with them, trials and errors etc.

You all have excellent and valid points, ideas and input.

Thank you all - really for all of the info provided, not just in this thread but in them all.

Back