I Just Wish!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumbo1993

Reaction score
I just wish i could have another rabbit! Not just any rabbit; a rabbit with spical needs! I will just feel like I did my part in the world! If I could just convence my mom to let me have one! She says Oreo is one because I am taking care of her ear mites! I want one with real problems! You know?

What do you think?

I think every bunny is special, they don't need to be "special needs.";)

By special needs I'm guessing you mean rabbits with chronic health problems or birth deformities. They require a lot of money for vet bills (as well as a good rabbit vet), generally more time every day to take care of, and preferably a more experienced person who is good at recognizing the small, hidden signs that a rabbit is starting to feel worse. I'm not saying you're not capable because I don't know you at all, I'm just saying that it's not something everybody should run out and do.

But you don't have to have a special needs bunny of your own to make a difference for rabbits. All rabbits in shelters and rescues need help, you can donate to them or volunteer with them. Even a small donation, such as a $5 bale of good hay or a few toys, are appreciated. I volunteer for just a few hours every week at my local shelter and let me tell you it makes a difference! One bunny went from being an aggressive problem to a back rub loving favorite since the other volunteer and I have been working with her. In another case I helped answer questions that a prospective adopter had about bonding rabbits, and it gave her the confidence to go ahead and adopt the bun.

You can also help rabbits that belong to other people by encouraging their owners to learn how to take care of them better. Tell them about this forum, the House Rabbit Society website, and other great sources of information. Tell them how good hay is for rabbits, that pellets with treats in them are unhealthy, and how many rabbits are waiting for homes in shelters (also don't breed unless it's for show purposes).

This is kind of convenient, but next month is Adopt a Rabbit Month and I'm hoping to get an article written on all the different ways people can make a difference for rabbits, whether they have time and money or not.:)

I just want to say, i've heard having a rabbit with chronic problems is extremely hard.

There will be ALOT of vetbills, and probobly really expensive ones too.

I read somewhere it is a constant job, and somewhat like having a baby :?.

Maybe you can volunteer at your local shelter?

I'm going to second what has already been suggested about volunteering at an animal shelter or rescue. It allows you to feel like you're doing, "your part," in the world while allowing for some flexibility and choice in your life.

I don't know you that well and I don't know your age or circumstances, but I'm assuming from what you've shared that you're a minor and/or still living at home. That being said, if you're financially dependent on another person such as a parent or spouse, their opinions and your choices are important to both parties - they affect one another. Getting involved with a special needs rabbit either as a long-term foster or owner is a very large undertaking and should be something that is agreed upon by the whole family - for financial and emotional reasons.

I think volunteering will allow you the experience and information you'll need if considering a special needs rabbit either now or in the future. It'll be a rewarding opportunity that will allow you to see how you would handle such responsibility. And it'll give you time to see if it's what you really want - and there's nothing wrong with deciding it's not what you want. But it's something you need to honestly look at, consider, and weigh. Volunteering will give you the time you need to do that.

Also, I think it would be a worthy consideration of why you feel so bent on rescuing a special needs rabbit. If it's just to feel like you've done your, "part," then I would seriously reconsider. Caring for a special need bunny will be something to take with you, but it won't change, fix, or make you be, feel, or seem a different way. Just think about it and be willing to do some investigative work...just in case...

Either way, best of luck and we'll be with you every step of the way - regardless of what you do or don't decide.

I'm going to have to agree with the others. Volunteering is probably your best bet.
I'm 17 and a high school senior. I've been volunteering for a year and a half now, since I tuned 16, the age limit for volunteering with LA animal services. My mother has been very clear: no more pets. I completely understand because next year I'm going to college and leaving her with our menagerie.
I don't know how old you are, but I hope that one day you're planning to go to college too and I would guess that that day is coming sooner than you think.
If there isn't any one else in your family interested in caring for another animal-special needs or not- what will happen if that animal is still alive 10 years from now or whenever you go to college or move out.
You might be thinking that you would never leave an animal behind, you would take it with you. Very very few colleges will allow pets. Those that do usually limit pets to a small fish tank with fish only. Few affordable apartments will allow pets either.
Also, what happens when you become busier? I too have heard that having a special-needs rabbit is comparable to having an infant- an infant that never grows up. Do you have the time to dedicate? I know I wouldn't.
I don't mean to sound overly critical, but I have been in your shoes. I know what it's like to want something that's out of your reach. You need to think about what's best for the rabbit.

You may not be old enough to volunteer with a shelter or rescue. There are limits because of insurace and liability issues. Maybe you can look for a rescue to foster for. Talk to your mom about that kind of option where the rabbit would be the property of the rescue who would ultimately be responsible for it, but you would socialize it and provide day-to-day care until the rabbit could get a more appropriate forever home.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck!

I never had to deal with a "special needs rabbit", so I cannot contribute to this thread, but having just read everything everybody said, I can't help but noting how full of concern, how straight-forward and how useful all the answers are. It's so beautiful to -each time over and over- see RO members rushing to share their opinion, in an effort to help out people and bunnies, whatever the topic.

You RO souls-and-hearts, you're all great, it's such a wonderful forum!!!!
Marietta

I agree with the things people have been saying here..... I know when I was a kid, I would get so frustrated with my mom when I had an animal that needed vet care and she didn't want to spend the money. I think it's wonderful that you want to help out this way, it says that you are a big-hearted, caring person. To me, though, I think that any rabbit in a kill shelter is special needs, because they are basically in danger for their lives every day that goes by.

I thinkasking your mom about fostering would be a great idea, too. Make sure you clarify with the shelter that they will be responsible for vet bills, and mabye you could foster a rabbit that has health problems. That way you are not only helping to save this rabbit's life, you will be learning about how to care for a rabbit with health problems. Then, when you are living on your own and are your own boss, so to speak, if you want to adopt one you can. And you will know ahead of time what you are doing as far as nursing care, vet bills, time spent, etc.

i understand with all the vet bills and i know that all rabbits are spical. the thing is i want the feeling that i acculay did some thing right and saved a life! i want a good feeling! if you lived with me last year you would understand! so i just want a good feeling! to make me and a rabbit happy!

that is a good idea! i would talk to my mom but knowing her she would say " we just dont have the time" she says that to everything i say!:(

Latest posts

Back