I Just Like To Worry

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S_Toast

Reaction score
So I don't know Oaks history. Far as I know she was bought from a breeder to be a pet. Was then "adopted" by the woman I got her from. Then given to that woman's niece only to be given back when the niece moved out of state. Then I got her. So I don't know if she has ever had a litter.

I finally got a hold of the woman I got her from (still no pedigree) and she said Oaks didn't have any litters while living with her or her niece. So unless the woman who bought her first bred her this could be her first litter! Is this bad? I'm really worried. Also I don't even know if the buck she was exposed to was a Flemish Giant. But I guess since he probably would have been smaller if he wasn't a FG then that shouldn't cause a problem would it?

I thought I was adopting a cute fluffy giant bunny. Not a soap opera! Too bad I already love her so much.

How old is she?
At least she's a large breed, so if the buck was something smaller than a Flemmie, that's better than it being bigger than her.

But yes, it can be bad if this is her first litter. It could be difficult for her and she could have pencil kits. Although, if she was bred to by a smaller buck (say a buck that's about 10 lbs. or something) then she may be fine....

Emily

please excuse my ignorance but what are "pencil kits?"

Also until I get her pedigree (like that will ever happen) I don't have any idea how old she is. I had to call the woman I got her from on my work phone to get her to answer the phone and she was in a hurry to hang up when she heard it was me :)

Pencil kits are basically bigger babies that get squeezed and suffocated in the birth canal and come out very long and thin.

There is the potential for her to have problems as she kindles, and because you don't know her history, I guess you have to take all the precautions, and be ready for all eventualities, moreso than if you knew her age, and if she has been bred before.

Flashy wrote:
Pencil kits are basically bigger babies that get squeezed and suffocated in the birth canal and come out very long and thin.

There is the potential for her to have problems as she kindles, and because you don't know her history, I guess you have to take all the precautions, and be ready for all eventualities, moreso than if you knew her age, and if she has been bred before.
Pencil kits are horrible to look at, I will never forget Fredericks little squished face:( But sorry this is your thread. :nerves1

I hope she is okay - Good Luck with whatever happens

Becca, if you felt able, maybe you might want to share Frederick's picture so that S_Toast can see what a pencil kit can look like.

So what do I need to do for Oaks. Just keep a close eye on her to see if she has problems when she kindles? I think I could handle loosing all the babies better than loosing Oaks. Do rabbits usually give birth at night? Do you just keep checking on them every so often?

I think that rabbits usually have kits in the early morning or at night. But I'm pretty sure in the mornings. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)
Also, probably checking on the doe often would be fine too, just to make sure she is alright and if there are kits, to make sure they are all healthy looking and alive.
And usually when does have their first litter, there is a chance of some of the kits dying, or all of them.

-
Karlee

Latest posts

Back