I just have a bit of a rant!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamboodles

Reaction score
About a week in a have ago I called around to get the prices of getting Chance fixed I was quoted $150.00!! And today I called to make his appointment and now suddenly NO vet in my town neuters rabbits OMG!! What if he gets sick?? I don't know what to do now.:( I called Sage Stage to see if I could arrange a ride to Reno and see if maybe I could get him fixed in Reno but I have to have some authorization from my doctor saying he is a service animal in order for him to ride with me. I told the lady I have Lupus he is my pet he does not get up and do things for me!! What does that even mean? Chance is the only pet I have ever had. I am so frustrated I am about in tears. Chance has came so far, he comes up to me now when I feed him and he even lets me pet him when he eats and before he would run away. I don't know what to do. Maybe I should call my doctor and see what this authorization thing is.

My rabbits are certified therapy rabbits, so they might be considered service animals depending on their definition. I would think he could qualify for emotional support (sorry, I don't know what the technical terms are). I'm sorry the vets aren't willing to work with you, perhaps they aren't comfortable dealing with rabbits. It's better to know now they aren't qualified than to have something horrible happen to dear Chance. I really hope you are able to work things out.
:pray:

I just called my doctor, I have a appointment in a week to see her. Do I need to bring anything with me? Do I have to pick up any kind of papers do you know? I live in California. Thank you for all your help. Been a very emotional morning for me.

I'm not sure what you need. I have little ID cards for my rabbits so when I schedule them to visit people in the hospital I have proof they are certified. I would think you would be able to get something like that for personal use for them, but your doctor can direct you better. I wish I could help more. I have anxiety issues with physical issues so I understand how hard it can be when there are roadblocks.

My bunny bunch send you lots of nose bonks.

Oh how frustrating! Do you need permission from your doctor because this sage stage is the company that helps you with rides and such? Or is it because you are going to a different state?

Have you looked at this site?

http://www.rabbit.org/vets/vets.html

This is how I found my rabbit savvy vet. Is there anything listed within a cab or bus ride from you?

Otherwise I agree with brandy to go the therapy rabbit way. Or, talk with your doctor about how much Chance helps you emotionally. Rabbits ARE good for health and stress so maybe you could get the permission based on that and what chance does for you.

Good luck!

Sorry for the late reply. My daughter had me go with her to her appointment with her today and ask because I was so upset. My doctor wrote me out a note in a prescription from and it says "Pt has disability and needs companion animal of rabbit on bus rides." On the top it says my name and last name and she signed and dated it on the bottom. It does have my doctors name and license number on it as well. I am going to visit the links posted and see if I need to get any special tags for Chance. I got a feeling that Chance will be going to a few different vets, I found one who will neuter him for $50.00 but will not clip his nails or check his teeth. I am also still looking for a vet in case Chance gets sick also. Thank you to all who replied to me.

I would be rather nervous if they will neuter but not clip nails or check teeth, how good could they be? You might want to ask questions to make sure they know what they are doing.

Yes I agree with Brandy.

On that link I posted there is a FAQ for potential vets section that i found very helpful.

Yes I was thinking about that also and the $50.00. Sage Stage go's to Reno. I did find a vet in Reno that does rabbits she could not give me a price until she can actually see Chance. When I asked for estimation she said $200 range. Now I am hoping that is including nails and teeth also. Because $50.00 compared to $200 is a big jump. I also thought $50.00 was unusually inexpensive because I have never seen a rabbit being spayed or neutered for less that $100.

The reason I was asking about the bus in my earlier post is because I do not have a vehicle at this time and I am currently on public transportation. Sage Stage is the bus that go's from here to Reno. They are the ones I had called to see if I could take Chance with me. Sorry if I confused anyone.

Latest posts

Back