I just found a snake by my bunnies!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stef

Reaction score
I have my rabbit cages in a shed where I keepthe doors open during the day and closed at night. I just went outthere to feed them and when I was just finishing up, I heard a hissingsound. There on the floor at the shed entrance was a big hognose snakeup in the striking position hissing at me and my dog. OY!!!! I am sooooterrified of snakes! I had to jump over it to get out of the shed andran like I've never ran before. The neighbor came over to get it, butby then it was gone. Now I'm really worried about my rabbits. I have 3adults and 6- 3 week old babies. My husband is going to buildnew doors this weekend that open half way up but stay closed at thebottom so nothing can get in there, but I just hope it doesn't comeback for them before then. This is probably a stupidquestion, but can snakes climb up things? The cages are not on thefloor, they are on a long table.

Yes, snakes can climb things. I amsorry, don't know much about snakes. Are your rabbits in wirecages? If so, how big are the holes? Maybe youcould put something around the cages to keep the snake from gettingin. :?

I'm sad to say snakes are great climbers iftheir body is long enough to reach the top. Because they are so strongthey can hold pretty much their entire bodies upright if they have thesupport of a wall. All I can say is PLEASE don't kill the poor snake.Capture it and release it. I don't care how afraid you are. The snakeis only doing what comes naturally to it. Create a door/barrier that ishigher than the snake's body can reach and keep an eye out. You mighttry putting something sticky like double sided tape up the legs of thetable and pull it away from any walls.

Yes wire cages. Probably 1"x2" holes. I got thecages at TSC. My neighbor said they can get in small holes. I'm goingto have to bring them inside til he gets the doors done. I was hopingthey couldn't climb up things. Can't risk it. Thanks for your reply!

How big is the snake? He may be too small tocause any harm to your rabbits. But of coure don't risk it and bringthem in if you can.

WEll DEFINITELY bring in those babies... babybuns would make good food for a hungry snake =/ and well, having thesnake crawling around the cages might scare somebunny to death

He was prob. 1 and 1/2 inch in diameter and 2 1/2 feet long. The table is 3 feet high, so maybe he can't get up there.

I don't know where you live, but in most statesit's illegal to possess, injure or kill a hognose snake.Adult rabbits are not normally part of it's diet, but little baby bunsare an easy meal. Please bring the babies in until you cansecure the shed. Keep the floor clear, don't give himanyplace to hide (no sense making him feel welcome.!) Whenyou go out to the shed, carry a broom, you can sweep him away if yousee him again. The hognose may tend to "play dead" if it'sthreatened. Don't pick it up if it rolls over and is layingwith it's mouth open... he's only faking. Use the broom andpush him as far away as you can. They can bite ifprovoked. (Not considered venomous, but any bite isnasty.) If he's a real pest, you may have a local licensedherpetologist willing to trap/capture it and take it away.

Don't forget to wear jeans, gloves and goggles(or keep your face as far away as possible). Better to look stupid thanlose an eye.

Id bring your bunnys in the house if i wereyou,even if itsonly untill you find and catch thesnake, but its best to be on the safe side. Or try puttingsomething on the surface of the table legs...something slippery,like...oil....vaseline....etc... if its slippery, the snake wont beable to get a grip on the surface, andmight notbeable to get to your babies.

good luck

~Jennifer~

I have to agreewith Blue Giants , Hog nosedsnakes are a threatened species ,therefor illegal to kill . If aSnakes head can fit thru a hole ( mesh) the restof it can getin Please use BlueGiants suggestion to heart bring in hteMother and Kits , its the Kits itis after . Keep all grains inseal tight containers he ismore likely looking for rodents and notbaby bunnies , but that doesnt mean ifthe opertunity is there he wonttake a few . Better safe thansorry bring in the babies and Mom .

Latest posts

Back