I Just Dont Get It

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sterling Lop Rabbitry

Reaction score
Ok I Bred My Rabbits, And My Doe Majik Has Her Nesting Box In Her Cage Already, And She Is Building A Nest And She Has Been Bred 4 Times Before, All Successful, But She Was Only Bred 9 Days Ago. But i read that you should put the nesting box in on the 27th day why is that? I have bred rabbits for quite some time and have never had a problem putting it in early :?

Yup- most does use it as a litterbox- just so you have it in BEFORE day 27 and it stays clean then there's not a problem. I had some that always had a nest box, no matter if they were bred or not.

That doesn't necessarily mean much. I had a doe build on the 4-7 day of pregnancy then dismantle it, and then rebuild on the 30th and she went on to have seven wonderful kits. Maybe she knows what is coming and recognises the feelings or something, or obviously it could be a false one, but you probably still need to presume it is real just in case.

Its real, she was bred and rebred the next day, so she will be pregnant there is an 85% chance, also she has had many litters before so she knows what it is like, i always give my rabbits the nesting boxes early, and they seem to leave them alone unless they are getting ready to have their babies :)

I prefer giving the does a nest box as close to the kindling date as possible. I like to know that the shavings, hay and straw is as fresh and clean as possible. Even if they don't use it as a liter box, just jumping in and out over the course of a month can track in bacteria and dirt from the mom's feet.

I also try to discourage the doe from looking to her nestbox as a source of hay. They have a hay crib, but if you leave the nestbox in long enough, she'll eat that too... Once the babies are born, she'll just continue to eat the hay in the nest, meaningI have to worry about the babies being covered and protected.

After she kindles, I won't clean the nest until the babies open their eyes, unless there is a problem or something is really dirty. So by giving the nestbox later, I'm sure it is clean when the babies are born, and stays cleaner and fuller, longer.

Just what works for me....

BlueGiants wrote:
I prefer giving the does a nest box as close to the kindling date as possible. I like to know that the shavings, hay and straw is as fresh and clean as possible. Even if they don't use it as a liter box, just jumping in and out over the course of a month can track in bacteria and dirt from the mom's feet.

I also try to discourage the doe from looking to her nestbox as a source of hay. They have a hay crib, but if you leave the nestbox in long enough, she'll eat that too... Once the babies are born, she'll just continue to eat the hay in the nest, meaningI have to worry about the babies being covered and protected.

After she kindles, I won't clean the nest until the babies open their eyes, unless there is a problem or something is really dirty. So by giving the nestbox later, I'm sure it is clean when the babies are born, and stays cleaner and fuller, longer.

Just what works for me....
Ditto :D

Latest posts

Back