I hope I didn't sound to rude.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger101

Reaction score
I got an email of someone wanting one of the bunnys. I asked ?'s and one of my ?'s was what do you want to do with the bunny? They emailed back and said for breeding. They have litters blah blah there daughter likes taking care of the babies blah blah. I emailed back saying"I do NOT want my babys being for breeding just pets. They are mixed breeds anyway. Plus the litter we had was an ACCIDENT!" I probably did sound rude but I do not want my babies being bred. Was this to harsh? I think it was but it just came out(teenage hormones,lol). I am waiting for them to email back and see what they say. I guess they have 2 does now and have litters but it is my opinion and I dont think my buns are even worth breeding,IMO. So I dont get why they want to breed them without even seeing them!!??

Because they make money when they sell the kits.

Be weary of any additional emails you get that sound too good to be true...sometimes people will change their email and send you another email saying exactly what you want to hear, just to go ahead and do what the first email said.

:(

Nope, you have every right to say where you want your babies going. Have you thought about putting them on a spay or neuter contract? Or how about having them go their vet and prepay for a spay or neuter and bringing you the receipt at the time of adoption?

* sorry had a typo :biggrin2:

melbaby80 wrote:
Nope, you have every right to say where you want your babies going. Have you thought about putting them on a spay or neuter contract? Or how about having them go their vet and prepay for for a spay or neuter and bringing you the receipt at the time of adoption?

I love that idea! That way you won't risk them being seen as snake food either. The original person sounded like a back yard breeder to me. That would be a horrible life. I'm glad you are looking out for your babies.

Dont' want to be a nudge, but did mom and/or dad get fixed? :biggrin2:

They are not fixed yet because my parents haven't made the app. My mom said "if they arn't put together it wont happen". So I am currently saving up to get them fixed. They are in separate cages and will not be put together. When oreo is out he is now in the house or in a dog crate outside. Trigger is in dog crate when oreo is not and inside when he is not.

melbaby80 wrote:
Nope, you have every right to say where you want your babies going. Have you thought about putting them on a spay or neuter contract? Or how about having them go their vet and prepay for a spay or neuter and bringing you the receipt at the time of adoption?

Unfortunately, once they are outside of your care, you can't really control how they are treated, etc. You can have people sign all the contracts you want, but there is no way to enforce them.

Screen as much as possible, that way you can avoid finding out later that they were bred for meat or whatever. If you want to sell them as pets only, be specific and don't allow them to go where you are not comfortable. The last breeder I got Derby from was pretty presistent about questioning etc. I didn't mind a bit, just showed that she really loved her rabbits.

saidinjester wrote:
melbaby80 wrote:

Unfortunately, once they are outside of your care, you can't really control how they are treated, etc. You can have people sign all the contracts you want, but there is no way to enforce them.
Depends on the state in all honesty. Verbal and written contracts can be enforced through a civil court system.

I know I cant control how they are cared for ect.. but truthfully I have been really picky. I am having the person that is getting Mia bring there bunny in(to see what shape she is in ect..) I am also having them bring the whole family(kids,parents whoever lives with them) to see how they handle a bunny.

Know email from the other person...yay but I really hope even if he is a BYB that he treats his bunnies like pets and not $$$

I know I cant control how they are cared for ect.. but truthfully I have been really picky. I am having the person that is getting Mia bring there bunny in(to see what shape she is in ect..) I am also having them bring the whole family(kids,parents whoever lives with them) to see how they handle a bunny.

Know email from the other person...yay but I really hope even if he is a BYB that he treats his bunnies like pets and not $$$

If you don't want your babies for breeding then you have a right to say so. Personally my rabbit is "officially" a breeding bunny but I have no intention of breeding him. I just had to say that so I could enter him in the rabbit show and not have to sell him.

I screen like an Olympic Drug Tester. I interview and then would go to their house to see where my progeny would be. If people don't like that, I really don't care as I want to make sure they are in "GOOD" forever homes.

Is there a good, no-kill animal shelter in your area? If so, they are better equipped to screen people & almost surely would keep the rabbits until they were neutered, so breeding wouldn't be possible.

One question to ask is "what vet that sees rabbits do you plan to use?"

Latest posts

Back