I have stumped the Vets :

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have had the most interestingweek with a Jersy Wooly , I amhalf crazy trying to figure this little guy out , Ihave also managed to stumpnot OnebutThree Vets !.

Cowboy , My Jersy Buck , Is / was/ is in stasis , furblock , or something , He has been to TwoVets both whom deal with Rabbits on a constant basis, And PGGasked her Vet if he has ever come acrossed a situation suchas this . Heres how it all started.

Monday Morning I did my usualrounds feeding and watering everyone who neededfood and water , gave everyonethe once over checks . Everyone wasfine and dandy ,

Monday Night I go down for the Nightlyrounds of feeding and watering ,hay and treats . as I am walking byCowboys cage , I get this weirdchill that something wasnt right .He was siting in an odd spot , one hewould never normally sit in . On closer inspectionI noticed he hadnt touched his water nor food frommorning , This is very odd for him, he has a good healthy appitite . I pulled himout and he was like a rag doll, I checked his eyes and theywere very dry , not shineyand sparkly as is normal .

I yelled to my husband to finish feedingand watering, I was taking him tothe house , I stuffed him in my coatand ran up , Upon getting in hereI located sirynges and pumpkin , warmedwater , nutrical and theclippers , in that order . brought him tothe desk with everything in towand proceeded to force waterintake , when I felt he couldnt takeanymore water I started with the pumpkin .when that was finished and I felt betterabout this in went the nutrical, and out came the clippers ,Coming from the garage to the house islike coming in from the North Poleto Florida weather on a constant basis ,the Fur had to go .

Tuesday : He wasnt any better but would takethe pumpkin , nutrical , water melon juice and afew pieces of melon by him self . nothingmajor but he was making theeffort. I wasnt satisfied so called an ER vetand ran him in , She agreed he hada wool block but it was high in hisstomache as apposed to lower bowel or colon .She then SubQ'd him and senthim home with Baytrill tabs , and avery worried Mom and Shadow . I honestlydidnt believe for a minute he was going to pull outof this , he was as far as the Vet wasconcerned too far gone . death was immenate ,ok so much for that thought , Thankfully,

Cowboy was back to the Vets today , He isnt poopingand it has been 8 days now . I have drivenmost everyone crazy trying to helpme figure this out , The Vet didnt Sub Qthis time as she felt he was fullyhydrated and it would be uneccary , butsis xrays and Ultra sound on his Lower GItract , NOTHING there ,No wool block , no signs ofstasis , he is basically clean as a whistle!. I have to mention there was no signsof fecal matter in there also . She hasalso done fecal sample for parisitesand foreign matter , nothing is there ,culture should be back in a week or two .She also drew off blood for a blood work up. again a waiting game .

A little while ago Cassi found 3 small poops I knowcould only have come from him , I purposly puthim on a white rug with his cage tobe able to monitor should he decideto poop. there was nothing previous totonight . He is Peeing up a storm thankfully , soPeeing isnt an issue .

We have explored all options of where the Poop is ,has gone , etc . there is no logicalexplinations , we have managed to come upwith some pretty far fetched ideas , such asProjectile pooping , he is reingestingthem so on and so forth , nothingmakes sense ,, There is no Cecal matteron his feet Butt or tail , nothing on thewires nothing in his litter tray either .

My Question is does anyone have any ideasas to what can be going on with him, wheres the poop ? what more to do forhim ? Its been 8 days with only 3 little poops, Howlong can this go on , I must mention , he is active, runs all around his cage, the house ,eats every treat type food I give him , includiingParsley and Mint water , He hatesPineapple and pineapple water . Heboots the tube when I feedand give water , nips me hard, and is generally all aroundacting NOT sick , while I know he still is ,.

If I said he is driving meinsane that would bea huge fib , he is not making meinsane he has made me insane and drivingme towards totally crazy . Is there anyone out there evergone through anything such as this oreven similar? Does anyone have anyfurther ideas as to what to do for him ?

:ponder:

Hmmmmm

The only thing that's coming to me is that You've Finally Met Your Match.

No Clue, Gypsy, but will pray and follow this story with great interest. It's a mystery to me.

-Carolyn

If he is clean as a whistle inside and iseating and drinking then surely what goes in is coming out or hewouldn't be clean as a whistle.

Could he be eating the poop when you aren't looking?

I know when Rupert was going into Stasis once he started pooping he was eating almost all that came out for awhile.

I thought there must have been something in it he needed for his digestive system maybe to get the good bacteria going again.

Just a thought anyway. I hope you get it figured out soon!

We did think of thatand even double checked thenchecked again , surely there would besome evidence , even one cecalpop somewhere , there is noway I believe nor the vet thathe could comsume every piece, and leave no evidence. Unfortunately there wasvery little matter onthe probe to evenget a good sample , so sheis workingwith what they have and hopingit is enough .

I do know this is very very confusing and very frustrating .

Wow, this is a tough one! I am voting for ingesting as well.

From what you said he is eating there probably wouldn't be alot

of fecal matter anyway.

Good luck on this one, sounds like you are going to need it!

Roger L

That is pretty odd. Could he be pooping withoutyou noticing it? Maybe small ones that could get hidden? Did any of thevets palpate him? My vet palpated my rabbit when she had a fur blockand found something hard, but since all the x-rays and everythingshowing nothing, i'm not sure. This is odd, as everything he is eatinghas to come out some way, and if it wasn't coming out then there wouldbe something found by the x-ray, and lots of it figuring it was 8 days!Could it be that he isn't getting enough fiber or something? and thefood is coming out as runny diarhea? I really don't know!

Will he take mashed pellet through a syringe? Mayeb he needs somefiber? My rabbit didn't like pineapple either, i think it was too acidyand made her mouth hurt as it went bright pink afterwards. Will he takehay?

This is odd, as if he was eating it wouldn't it still come out? Orwould he then be eating it over and over? Do you have some sort ofvideo camera (maybe move him indoors so you don't wreck the camera?)That's about all I can think of! If you can moniter him with a videocamera, then you could know for sure if he is. Sounds stupid, but itjust might work.

Now I don't know about what others might thinkas I am new to this site and since I moved to Wisconsin from Chicago Ihave had to do a lot of studying as many of the vets heretreat stasis with hairball meds like Loxitane or Petromalt.My gut feeling here is not to believe the vets. I know thatsounds terrible but thats probably the way I feel about yourbunny. Iwould treat him for stasis without the force feedings. In Ill.at Midwest Exotics they used Reglan and anantibiotic, some use Propulsid and Reglan. Before I found a good vethere I had to devise my own primitive remedies...mineral oil given verycarefully as it could be aspirated. Recently I found that bene-bac(lactobacillus bought at Petco) will make them poo and not hurt them atall It puts good bacteria back in the gut. I had a bunny once that wentdays without pooping (didn't know bunnies then) but finally did when Iused the Loxitane. I know that it isn't good for them but sometimes itdoes the job. I never heard of Nutrical except recently from Lissa.Don't do any of this until people respond to it.I can'tbelieve that he's eating all his poop

I just thought of something ! Maybe hehas a blockage in his stomach and if they examined only lower and upperintestines they missed it. That would account for theemptiness of the intestines.....it seems odd though that the stomachwoudn't be included in the ultrasound..just a thought I really am justcoming off the top of my head...I don't want to alarm you.

I'm not sure, as she went to three expierencedvets. With the laxative, my vet said in some cases (the caseI ahd) it would really help her. He gave me feeding insturctions thatmade sure that her system didn't grow too dependable on it, as he saidthat with some cats have to have it their whole life. I still saymoniter him on video to know for sure. Very weird situation.

I really feel for Gypsy .8 days without poop andI would be a real head case. If the vets were reaalllly good I wouldkeep at them until they could give me an answer. I'm thinking that ifit was a wool blockage inthe stomach it couldn't move out on its owneven with laxative. What a horrible situation of not knowing.

Spring wrote:
That is pretty odd. Could he be pooping without you noticingit? Maybe small ones that could get hidden? Did any of the vets palpatehim? My vet palpated my rabbit when she had a fur block and foundsomething hard, but since all the x-rays and everything showingnothing, i'm not sure. This is odd, as everything he is eating has tocome out some way, and if it wasn't coming out then there would besomething found by the x-ray, and lots of it figuring it was 8 days!Could it be that he isn't getting enough fiber or something? and thefood is coming out as runny diarhea? I really don't know!

Will he take mashed pellet through a syringe? Mayeb he needs somefiber? My rabbit didn't like pineapple either, i think it was too acidyand made her mouth hurt as it went bright pink afterwards. Will he takehay?

This is odd, as if he was eating it wouldn't it still comeout? Or would he then be eating it over and over? Do you have some sortof video camera (maybe move him indoors so you don't wreck the camera?)That's about all I can think of! If you can moniter him witha video camera, then you could know for sure if he is. Soundsstupid, but it just might work.
They are ALL on video camera,there are many set up outside and inside . but not in my house. I dont need one in the house I am upwith him most of the day andnight and can watch and monitor himon a constant basis . The cameras inside andoutside are connected to my second computersitting next to this computer .needless to say Iwatch with very intentconcentration .

As for fiber , concidering what Ihave shoved down his throat for fiber, You would think if he gets anymore he will be a walkingfiber factory , its justnot coming out in the end .

I am not sure but it has been suggestedthat he may be absorbing nutrients backinto his body and not pooping because of it ,especially where as he is peeing in excess, Iam not sure how sound thisis but its begining to makesome semblance of sense.

I forgot to mention ( repeat) that He is in the house , he had to be broughtin because I needed him where i could montitor himnight and day , IE: thats why he wasshaved , to accomodate him from overheating .

Angieluv:

The vet wouldnt puthim on reglan becuse of wherethe block was , ( in his stomach on Monday) she was afraid of explodinghis stomach, or it moving downand tearing his intestines , Ialso asked about an enima andshe said No it was too high up for it tobe effective , and yes theydid ultra sound his stomach ,there is nothing for a block in there now.

I have been giving him 8 in 1 hairballtreatment for 3 days now , it isnt petrolium based, its mineral oil based , so safe to usefor rabbits , I did ask theVets opinion on it first , before purchasing it ,just to be safe , It is in fact safe touse on rabbits , and he likes it betterthan Nutrical , and I dont have an allergicreaction to it if I forget my gloves .

I dont think I would ever give a rabbitin stasis a Laxative , I certainlywouldnt want to cause it more pain thanit would already be in ,and the chance of severedehydration scares the hell outof me , especially if they arealready dehydrated to start with . Laxatives would be avery at the end oflife decision to make , not one for this instance .

Gypsy..I didn't know that you were giving himsomething to help him pass the wool. You're right ..this is totallybizarre. I feel bad for you. Did one vet say he had a wool blockagehigh up and another one say ther wasn't one?

No It was thesame Vet , He saw the same Vettoday he saw on Monday ,

We felt it on monday and whenwe went looking with ultrasound itI guess you can saydisapeared , its nowhere to befound , He didnt pass it that we can tell , theresnothing in his litter and there wasnothing in his carrier over orback either time .

I did just find ONE poop stuck to hisbutt fur , very small and very hard, so that makes a total of 4 poops in 8 days, < sigh > he is out tomake me a bit more crazy than I alreadyam .

Gypsy, I have had somethingsimilar...A jersey wooly also...except that I knew she had ablockage. My vet gave me a drug called Cisapride(sp). (sis-a-pride). This is a liquid given bymouth and is given once a day until the rabbit is producingstools. I gave this to my jersey wooly who stopped poopingand in about 3-4 days she was pooping normally.

Ask your vet if he/she would try this treatment. If he/she would like to talk to my vet...let me know.

Sharon

ThanksSharon , I will give her a callin the morning andask for it , I am willing totry anything that will get him motivated, I am about a nervous wreck , Thishas gone on way too long.

Latest posts

Back