I have scheduled an appointment to get one of my rabbits spayed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiabia0

Reaction score
I decided to go with waukesha humane society. My vet said my rabbit will not need blood work because she's not even 1 yet. I'm not worried about her going under because she has been before (when she got her cast like 9 months ago) but I'm very nervous!

What is it like after the rabbit is spayed? Any tips?

Good Luck!!! Pepsi did absoultely fine. She was just not very active because she was drugged.

A lot of buns lose their appetite for a bit too but my little piggy loves food too much.

All I can say is MAKE SURE they send home painkillers for you to give her. They NEED it for a few days at least. SO even if they give her some right before you pick her up, demand it.

I've personally never had a bun spayed, but, you'll want to keep her in a nice quiet place for a few days. You'll also want to reduce cage size a bit, so she can't jump. Watch so that she begins to poop and eat normally, which can take around 48 hours.

Good Luck. When is the surgery scheduled for? I'll keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

First of all, we're all nervous beforehand:). I had a spay and a neuter done on the same day, so I completely understand your anxiety. The fact that she has done well with anaesthesia before is a good sign. Anaesthetization is the biggest concern with any rabbit surgery.

Just like iluvmybuns said, she'll definitely require painkillers. I think Amber was on liquid painkillers (buprenex, if I recall) for about a week.

Try to limit her movement for the first week or so because she'll be somewhat out of it. Amber wasn't back to her full self until about 2 weeks after her spay.

good luck with the spay, the 2 of you, lol. i just had my bun spayed, just a little over a week ago and i was a nervous wreck. Everything went well, but they kept her over night, and they werent going to send me home with any pain med :shock::shock::shock::shock:but i insisted that i wanted pain meds, which i am glad i did cause ireally think she needed them, and they seemed to make her feel better.

She didnt bother her stitches until she got home :shock:, of course, so i had to take her back and they put staples on her and shehad to wear a cone for the 10 days. she seemed to be back to herself after about 3 days, butbefore that she was mopey, and didntreally eat. I was PARANOID about her eating and poopin, who would have thought i would have ever been happy to see poop :shock:, iactually went in the cage and offered her food (since she had the cone) and hand fed her, i used bowls that weresmall enough to get her head, with cone,down to get food out of. i offered her food with pumpkin on it to entice her to eat it, i just wanted to keep her eating and pooping. The cone was the messiest thing when she tried to eat her poop, i cleaned the bottom of her cage about 15 times a day because her poop was soft andshe would step in it and get it all overthe place, it was a mess.i even put a baby onsie on her to keep her from getting at her staples but that didnt work well. loli dont know howeveryoneelses bunnies go through this with no problem and mine was so dam messy,lol.

good luck, and dont worry it will be over before you know it, and she will be home for you to spoil and pay lots of attention to. but let me fore warn you that if you make her wear a onsie, she will be mad, i know mine was, lol good luck

Hah. Thanks a lot for the replies! Cinnabun's appointment is July 12th! I'm dropping her off at 8:00 and picking her up around dinner time. I have the nic cages, the second level just has two panels. Should I just take down the second level for a week or so? Is it okay to leave her hut in the cage? She's a great eater too (which is how she wound up overweight) will the weight be an issue? We're getting her weight checked at the vet before taking her to get spayed.

And my two rabbits would never let me put a onsie on them, I can't even get their leashes on them!! :grumpy:

hi tiabia, i think i'm just as nervous as you! Layla goes tuesday to get spayed and i'm really not familiar with any of what goes on.

i'm nervous now she's going to try and pick at her stiches. is this a common problem?

Also, is it necessary we take out the next levels? everything she really NEEDS is accessible on the bottom level she just lounges on the 2nd.

ahhh i'm nervous for her, hopefully both of our girls have a speedy recovery! :D

I hope my two girls have a good recovery too! And I'm hoping they get along afterwards which is very unlikely!

Is it possible for them to get more aggressive or anything?

i would definitely block the second level you dont really want them to be jumping, i have a NIC cage built for my bun and i just put a cube up so that she couldnt get up there and then put something on the other side so she didnt try to jump up. i also took out the igloo becuase she likes to jump on top of it, and for the week i didnt let her out in her playpen run to avoid her jumping around, and let me tell you she hated it, she would come over and pull at the door,she was mad. lol as far as the onsie she wont let me put her on her but she did let me put the onsie on so i am holding out hope that she will let me put the leash on her one day, lol.

as far as the stitches thing i am starting to think that my bun is one of few that took her stitches out, but that is my luck so, lol.

good luck and speedy recovery for both the buns, and i think we worry more then them, and we feel worse becuase we did it to them. :D And please post pics if you get a onesie on your bun, lol

Latest posts

Back